Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Textbroker's New Rating System

Textbroker has a new rating system -- which sounds utterly BIZARRE.

Basically, they are now relying upon an algorithm to tell them when it's time to rate writers, and writers must be PERFECT, or they risk falling into the Level 3 void in which there is no work whatsoever.

My own thought is that Textbroker must be falling upon tough times. Automating ratings makes sense only if they are having to lay off human editors. Toughening standards only makes sense if they have fewer Level 4 assignments and they need to cull the L4 herd somehow.

Any TB writers have thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

Lightbulb

During the week leading up to Memorial Day and over the holiday weekend, the site was filled with orders at all levels.

Only a small percentage of writers received the email about the rating change.

An editor answered questions for a few days about the situation but then has disappeared since that time.

The website is still a glitchy mess (not just the forums.)

There are barely any articles at all levels.

Why they are focusing on this rating thing is beyond me.

I cannot see anything in their TOS about the new rating change either.

They did not resend the rating change information to writers.

It seems like rating writers is the focus and not finding clients at this point in time.

I don't know why.

In addition, the directions on articles are becoming more demanding, confusing and bizarre.

What they should have done is hire more marketers and a new tech crew.

TB could be raking in the money if they would just get their act together.

I hear the Twilight Zone theme each time I log in there (and with the glitches that takes a long time.)

But remember - the site is working as intended (lol).
Old 06-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Registered WAHM

I've been reading the TB forums, but in a million years, I would not post to them because I believe that Textbroker editors are miserable, sniveling human beings who probably get their jollies power-tripping TB writers whenever they can and would not think twice about "punishing" mouthy writers who speak out.

There's one Glass Door review of Textbroker that actually talks about how the editors sit around in meeting and ridicule the bad writing they're forced to read!

According to Glass Door, too, TB clears less than a million a year but employs 50 - 100 workers, which seems like a LOT of workers for that kind of revenue. I'm sure automating the review process allowed them to fire some editors.

Last edited by Herpein; 06-08-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpein View Post
I've been reading the TB forums, but in a million years, I would not post to them because I believe that Textbroker editors are miserable, sniveling human beings who probably get their jollies power-tripping TB writers whenever they can and would not think twice about "punishing" mouthy writers who speak out.

There's one Glass Door review of Textbroker that actually talks about how the editors sit around in meeting and ridicule the bad writing they're forced to read!

According to Glass Door, too, TB clears less than a million a year but employs 50 - 100 workers, which seems like a LOT of workers for that kind of revenue. I'm sure automating the review process allowed them to fire some editors.

I suspect that the higher ups are hounding and pounding the editors, so they want to make us look like the bad guys or (writers.)

You know how *hit rolls downhill in any business.

The whole thing makes me sad because last year at this time they had a contest for their 10-year anniversary, and this year, we are being treating like poo.

My stomach churns when I log in over there to pick up or submit an article due to the stress there right now.

More articles are sitting there that no one wants to write.

I feel like an editor is looking over my shoulder while I submit an article that pays me less than $3, just waiting for an error to pounce on.

If you know how the system worked in the past, then how many times did an editor make an error? And, TB didn't care if they made an error! Now, if there is an error, then what can a writer do?

I have seen errors from them for commas, AP style and spelling! That is because they are not perfect, but apparently, writers must have perfection.

Will an editor get fired or demoted for making an error when they grade? What if they grade 1,000 writers and then make an error at 1,001?

The articles with weird keywords that you can't change or add punctuation to are going to sit there because no one wants to take a chance at a downgrade.

Last edited by Success19; 06-08-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:02 AM
Registered WAHM

Yeah, it is a BIZARRE system.

I just work with the clients with whom I've established some kind of a relationship and ignore everything else.

I DO feel really protective when I read the TB forums, though. I want to tell my fellow salt mine slaves, "Don't write ANYTHING of substance here! The whips will come down on your back!"

Someone needs to write a piece for "Fast Company" on content mills.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpein View Post
Yeah, it is a BIZARRE system.

I just work with the clients with whom I've established some kind of a relationship and ignore everything else.

I DO feel really protective when I read the TB forums, though. I want to tell my fellow salt mine slaves, "Don't write ANYTHING of substance here! The whips will come down on your back!"

Someone needs to write a piece for "Fast Company" on content mills.
Writers who have been working at TB for five years or longer are getting booted from level-5 to 4, so the other writers on the forums at TB need to be careful about making remarks how it won't happen to them.

You know there are clients over there who want TB to be like Hirewriter that pays 50 cents for 5,000 words. I don't think anyone in the USA is going to write for those wages but still meet the high demands of the TB editors. Some clients give a poor to good grade on work - they want a longer article for free.

Most of the articles over there pay $5.00 or less, so if they want a Pulitzer Prize winning author, then they are going to need to increase the pay.

Also, I imagine that there are writers who have client accounts and can easily bad mouth a fellow writer that has an excellent reputation in order to get orders for themselves.

I know when I worked in retail, that other employees would send friends and relatives through a cashier's line to get one of those surveys to give them a bad score to get their hours reduced or to get them fired.

I just don't know what the CEO is thinking because clients also seem to be mad about something over there.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Super WAHM

Well, I just found out I've been bumped down to a 3 after YEARS of being a 4. Of course, there's no work at level 3 right now and the pay is lousy. I mean, it wasn't that hot at level 4 either but it was better than a penny a word.

It's really disgusting. And I must say, if I've been bumped down to a 3, so has nearly every other formerly level 4 writer. I can't imagine what's going on with the 3s and the 2s. I guess the 2s are nowhere.

Just glad I have some direct orders and the other place where I work is doing pretty good. It's just appalling.

I wouldn't be surprised if they corrected this new rating system pretty quickly. Unless TB is going completely to the dogs, in which case, why bother?

And if they are going to the dogs, serves 'em right for this.

Last edited by Blair Girl; 06-09-2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-10-2016, 06:03 AM
Registered WAHM

I suspect the company IS having difficulties, and the new rating system is doing exactly what it was intended to do: Cull writers.

Their business model seemed to switch a few years back with a DE-emphasis on the open order pool and an emphasis on teams. I think the team revenue must be drying up.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Super WAHM

Herpein, not only to cull writers but to pay the good ones that are still there less money. Maybe eventually they'll cull everyone who's less than an L4.

Their new rating system makes zero sense. What, you have a writer that writes hundreds of articles every month or so and you judge them on the basis of one article selected by a computer? That's ridiculous. And TB knows it too.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Awesome WAHM

I gave up on TB a long time ago.

I wrote a ton of articles.

They changed their guidelines. After I wrote the articles. Before they reviewed them.

Then they reviewed my articles based off of the new guidelines, that were not in place when I wrote them, and dropped me to level 3 as a result.

For breaking a rule that had not been implemented when I wrote the articles.

You...don't do that.