Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:34 PM
WAHM Regular

Default EBook Writers

I was working at a few if the content mills, but I just wasn't making enough. I want to be able to write about topics that interest me, and ebooks fit the bill. I have two childrens' books up on Kindle, but they have no pictures and are performing miserably. Does anyone make their primary incime doing this? If you do, is it mostly fiction or non-fiction? I can't think of any non-fiction topics that haven't been done to death, but my fiction writing us abysmally slow. I know romance sells the best in fiction, but I can't write that at all.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Banned

I write but only on my free time. I'd like to think that I am good at it and is actually thinking of writing full time instead? Reading that you saying that you are not making enough makes me worry.How much is the average income for an E-book writer?

I have inquired with a formed colleague and he gave me some figure (range) of how much I should expect and how I am going to be paid just in case. This is through a prepaid paycard/debit card,

Over all, it makes me think twice. Is it worth giving up a job to pursue this?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Super WAHM

I have almost 100 ebooks published under 2 pen names.

It really depends on what you want to write about. I know ebook writers who pull anywhere from $1k-$80k per month writing ebooks.

Non Fiction sells. But with all the Kindle changes, its getting harder and harder to publish short pieces of work.

Pretty much all Fiction sells, you just have to narrow down your niche. If writing fiction interests you, I would join some writing forums like KBoards and get a feel for how things work out.

Also, Reddit is full of self published ebook writing groups. They are wonderful sources of information, too.

For Non Fiction, start with what you know. Grab a notebook. Make a list of all the things you feel you are knowledgeable in. Do you suffer from depression? Overcome it? How? Write about it. Do you garden? Write about it. Go through something life changing and feel you have a story to tell on how you did it? Write it. Just start brainstorming some ideas. And keep going.

As for Fiction, have you written works of fiction before? If you haven't, I highly suggest checking out a few fiction writing books from the library. It will really help. Also, start writing out short stories. These ideas can be turned into larger works of art.

The point here is, if you want to self publish and write books, you have to start writing.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 AM
WAHM Regular

So about how long are your books? And how long does it take you to write one?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:58 AM
WAHM Regular

There are so many e-books out there that it can be kind of hard to find your niche at times. Have you post your book with Amazon.com for free? What about Barnes & Noble for free? I got two e-books out there. I got one romance book on Smashwords and Barns and Noble and one I wrote about parenting on Amazon. Both books are e-books. I also have not make a lot of money but on Smashwords, a lot of people downloaded free samples of my book. I did make some money on Amazon when it comes to my e-book but not much. It also depends on how and where you are advertising your e-book. I have found out that self-publish is not always easy because you have to advertise yourself or pay a company to do it for you when it comes to selling your e-book but there are some good online company that will advertise your book on their site for free or for a fee.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer868707 View Post
So about how long are your books? And how long does it take you to write one?
My non fiction are cookbooks and information. They vary in length. I have a work of fiction that is about 5k words and I have a book of poetry. These are all things that didn't take me much time at all because they were things I already knew or had written. The fiction was actually a short story fiction piece I had written as an undergrad and I just expanded the story.

The stuff under my pen name I have been writing since I was in my teens (in that niche) so its something that comes fairly easy to me.

My last typing test was 90WPM.

Having said that, for fiction, it doesn't matter how fast you type. You have to have a story idea or you're just going to be staring at a blank page. I have books that have taken me a few hours to write and some that have taken a year. Every author is different.

I have some books exclusive to Kindle but a few are posted at all retailers.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumphead View Post
I've always gotten paid via Paypal. I think my friend mentioned about getting paid through TSys. Do you know anything about this?
Each retailer pays differently.

Most of them are direct deposit. Smashwords does pay via PayPal and it's quarterly.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Super WAHM

Default Smashwords

More potential customers for Smashwords authors:
Smashwords: Smashwords Expands Global Ebook Distribution with Odilo, Tolino and Yuzu