Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Land of Crazy Intern Editors

I tracked down a couple of their sites to see what they're looking for.

equity-release-advice.com
blackandwhitekitties.org

These are engaging articles on the topic
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
Let me guess -- you got kicked off WD.
When you get above L3 on textbroker, you'll realize that (1) it's a good idea to look at a client's existing blogs and pages to get a feel of the style and angles they're looking for, and (2) those are terrible blog posts even if they were on topic.

To the well-mannered people on this board, how do you reconcile the quality of those sites with what they say they're looking for? I'm running out of BS that won't get kicked as surface level or too far astray or already did it, but looking at their published blogs, they look like L2 textbroker work. Why can't they just go whitehat and come up with a blog plan that might actually be useful and engaging like the psycho HVAC twins on the medication site? It's getting to the point where the $20 isn't worth it trying to guess at new blog ideas when other clients pay more and say exactly what they want.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Banned

LOL; I've been above Level 3 at Textbroker since the day I joined, but I don't really write for them very much anymore. I'd rather do the premiums on WD for $40 a pop.

I kind of doubt that WD is going to change to accommodate you, so if it isn't working out for you, you might want to try other pastures. I hope that you find a solution to your problem. Have a nice evening,

Last edited by Fairbanks; 06-14-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:38 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I just read through a few of the blog posts, but I've seen WAY worse in my time. These are grammatically correct and on topic as far as I can see. Plus I really like the kitties on the one site .
Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Awesome WAHM

It's a mixed bag. Some of the reviewers provide helpful comments, others not so much. I continue to write there, but I also have a nice stable of other mills and private clients to make ends meet.

When I see something that sparks what I think is a pretty good idea, then I claim it, write it, and move on to something else. Most of the time, they go through. Now and again, there is a revision request that makes perfect sense, so I do them, and then they go through.

There are those few that come with revision requests which make me shake my head and wonder about the intelligence/common sense/life experience of the reviewer. Those get dumped and I use the content elsewhere.

A couple of months back, I sold one-time rights for an article that a reviewer didn't like. The owner of a local business found my "surface level" information to be just what he wanted for a brochure that he would display in his shop and also use as part of a direct mail campaign. I made more than twice off that one-time use than I would've earned if the reviewer had accepted it. And since I retained the rights, I can always sell it again.

Revisions happen with all kinds of clients, including private ones. They are part and parcel of the world of freelance writing. Take each one in stride, don't tie your sense of self-worth to it, and do always have more clients in your back pocket. Life is too short to let stuff like this get under your skin.

Last edited by mtgywriter; 06-15-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Well, feel free to vent! I think that's what this forum is for. I've never been interested in writing for WD, but I have written for companies in the past where I began getting ridiculous edit requests. I have seen editor comments that were grammatically incorrect, downright rude, and actually did not adhere to the instructions I was originally given. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, lol. So I just quit and found new clients at that point. I don't mind making edits here and there, but some clients are definitely less reasonable than others.

Sometimes you can do everything right when it comes to the rules for the assignment, and the client still doesn't like your writing. There's not much you can do about that since writing is subjective, so I'd just move on at that point. I hope you can either figure out what WD likes or just get a client that likes your writing right off the bat.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Writely Applied

We've deleted a number of off topic posts that weren't answering the OP's questions. Please only respond if you can add to the discussion.