Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Registered WAHM

Default What's your take on the content of a story and client behavior?

Hey,
I was just wondering about a few things and wanted to see whatever everyone else thought of it for those of you who have experience in freelance writing short stories.

What do you think of or how do you respond to a client who acts like the world is ending because they didn't like your idea?

I've been writing for a very long time and studied it in college and although I am proud of the work I do, to me an idea is just that. one idea. If you don't like that they how about this or this or this or this. Should I be more upset when someone doesn't like the idea or keep the "take it or leave it" attitude (but just nice about it)?

Have you ever been a female working for a male client who acted sort of, not demeaning, but used verbiage like "IF you impress me" or "I'll see if I like you're work" or "I'll think about if I want to work you again". That all sounds like some ego stroking? What do you think about that?

Have you ever written a story and asked for feedback and the client told you they didn't like it, but didn't give you detailed feedback?

Have you ever written an article or a story for someone and they took the work and didn't pay you? How did you handle that? Have you taken any preventative measures in the future?

Has anybody paid you for work and then asked for a refund months later for some reason that you don't agree with? How did you handle that?

Just looking for some various opinions. Thanks!

Last edited by Runner2908; 02-19-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 AM
WAHM Regular

You're asking quite a few questions in one post.

This all sounds pretty sketchy. If you are dealing with a client who is giving you a hard time, fire them and use your time and energy for something productive. You want clients who are polite, professional, and pay on time for your work. It's that simple. If clients want revisions, that's fine. If you aren't getting the feedback you need, move on.

Be careful out there. The tactic of saying work is not acceptable, not paying, and then taking the work anyway is alive and well. I don't see it with private clients as much, but it's all over the freelance sites.

Last edited by MWriter; 02-20-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Awesome WAHM

These are all slightly different questions, but here's my thoughts.

Client doesn't like the story idea: I always run ideas past clients first to make sure I am on the same page as them. However, if I were ever to forget and someone says they don't like the story, I would probably go ahead and re-write one to their liking while telling them I would be keeping the copyright on the first attempt.

Ego-stroking client: There are too many fish in the sea to spend time on clients who are demeaning or making thinly veiled threats. I would let them go and not worry one second about it.

Feedback: If someone gives me vague feedback, I usually only ask for specifics if it's someone I plan to work for again in the future. Otherwise, I let it go. As an aside, I very rarely ask for feedback unless it is for an ongoing project, and I want to make sure I am meeting the client's expectations.

Clients that don't pay: I've been very fortunate to never have this happen. Early in my career, I only worked through Elance so I could use their escrow system. Today, if I were to run across a sketchy client, I would probably ask for partial payment upfront.

Client asking for a refund: I would tell them I'm sorry but I fulfilled my end of the agreement, and I do not offer refunds for services rendered.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered WAHM

Sorry about the excessiveness, I just kind of rattled off what I was wondering, but you've pretty much reconfirmed my initial viewpoints. I thought maybe I was in the wrong, but i'm not. So thank you for your opinion!