Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:13 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Okay, don't laugh...

But, I don't know how to build my blog!

I bought a domain name and have been playing around with a couple of Wordpress themes that look good, but I am confused about the difference between 'pages' and the Blog. The pages appear to be static, with room for just one post, whereas the blog allows lots of posts.

Should I skip the pages altogether and just build up the blog part? I want several categories under my blog, but it would be nice to build upon the site as I get the hang of things.

I promise I am not a complete idiot, but I can't seem to wrap my brain around this. I swear it's Mommy brain gone crazy!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Writely Applied

Pages are static and for information like a contact page, an about me page, a disclosure/disclaimer page, etc. If you are using WordPress and have a premium theme they might have special pages for a portfolio or shopping page.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Thanks!

That's sort of what I thought, but it took me actually typing it out in the form of a question for it to register in my brain, lol!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Super WAHM

Smile

At first things can seem unclear when you are starting a blog with wordpress, but after a while it becomes second nature.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:19 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Yes make sure you include pages on your blog with information such as a DISCLAIMER (required by the FTC if you are an affiliate) PRIVACY POLICY (required by Google AdSense and some affiliate companies, CONTACT - people should know how to get in touch with you, SITEMAP - I put a sitemap as a page etc.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Awesome WAHM

Hi Jess,

Looks like your question has already been answered. You may also find Tyler Moore's step-by-step tutorials on YouTube helpful:

Tyler Moore - YouTube

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:56 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Thumbs up

no laughing from us, I've been around since BASIC and COBOL (old programing languages) and we always have to adapt and learn new stuff - like building mobile pages now...

I think you got the gist of things, if you want the page as a blog or online journal then don't click the 'static' button in your dashboard when editing the page - your posts will then also archive

Static can be used for a regular website, or certain pages like 'about' or 'contact' where the content won't change or need to be archived.

It's all about the journey - so have fun, dig in and play around - best wishes