Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Getting into "Writing Mode"

For me one of the hardest things about working at home is that it is sometimes hard to separate your home life from your work life. If you work at an office, or any other traditional job, then you get ready in the morning and you go to work, which puts you in the mind frame for work. When you are at home there's none of this, which makes it hard to get into "work mode". I've been really struggling lately to get into writing mode.

How do you guys separate your home life from your work life, and how do you get into the right mind frame for work?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 09:31 AM
WAHM Regular

I get up, have my morning coffee, take a shower and get dressed. The getting dressed part is the most important to me because as long as I'm wearing what i slept in, my mind will not be in work mode. Once I'm dressed for the day, I can usually make myself get started on work. The days I'm not motivated to start, I think of bills that need to be paid and/or upcoming events hubby and I will need money for. That usually gets me working and once I get started I can plow through the day. One thing I do to keep myself going and to prevent getting burned out is to take a break between each article unless I am on a strict deadline.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Awesome WAHM

I treat my business as my work. I get read for it, just like work. I have a time I like to be at work, and begin work, days that I work and days that I don't.

I find if I treat it like work, it is easy to be focused. The great thing about working from home is that you can adjust if an emergency arises or the weather is extra special... assuming you've planned well for deadlines.

I have a schedule for pretty much everything we do, and a family google calendar, a work google calendar and so forth.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
WAHM Regular

I rent an office in the centre of the city, but when I did work at home I had no issues.

1) I think it's important you make your own space. I have my own home office just for work and other quiet pursuits, like reading. For others, I suggest just carving out any corner you can and designating it for work. That includes only having dull work things over there.

2) Avoid setting yourself strict work times. I find that just causes panic and decreases the quality of your work. I allowed myself to drift into the work. Try to avoid monitoring what you're making per hour and per half day. It creates stress and shifts your focus from writing to money. Never a good thing!

3) Enjoy it. I wanted to go to work each day. I relished in the fact most people were doing things they couldn't stand. Make it seem like a hobby and you'll never need the motivation to get into that mode.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 AM
WAHM Addict

I work when my kids are at high school/college and my husband's at work. I start the morning getting up at 4-4:30 and go through emails and get a mental schedule of what I need to get done. Then I shower, drive my daughter to the high school, get back, walk the dog, and start working.

I'm always on a deadline because the high school doesn't have bus service (to save money) and high schoolers cannot be on the grounds more than 30 minutes after school ends unless they're in sports or one of the school clubs. The school is in the city with a 50 car parking lot for the teachers and visitors, so space fills up quick. I have to get there by 2:00 for the 2:30 release or I won't find parking withing half a mile of the school. Therefore, all my work has to be done by 1 so that I can walk the dog again and get to the school. Every other Wednesday, she has her environmental club meetings, so that's the only day I can work a little later.

But having a set schedule that I have to meet is pretty good motivation.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I work when my kids are at high school/college and my husband's at work. I start the morning getting up at 4-4:30 and go through emails and get a mental schedule of what I need to get done. Then I shower, drive my daughter to the high school, get back, walk the dog, and start working.
What time do you go to bed?

I find that by the time I finally have my children (8 and 2) asleep, I am exhausted and don't want to do anything. I try to get up early, but on the nights I go to bed early, my toddler wakes up in the middle of the night. Sometimes, he doesn't want to go back to sleep for a couple of hours. Ugh! My 8 year old was such an awesome sleeper at this age.

I'm not sure if I should try to go to bed earlier and then maybe I'll just get up earlier? That doesn't always work though.

I'm not taking in that much caffeine. I really don't want to increase my dosage per day. I'm afraid I'll become more tolerant and it won't be as effective.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by christent04 View Post
What time do you go to bed?

I'm not taking in that much caffeine. I really don't want to increase my dosage per day. I'm afraid I'll become more tolerant and it won't be as effective.
I don't touch caffeine anymore. Not since they linked it to my anxiety years ago. Decaf coffee and the occasional chocolate is it.

I am in bed at 8 - 9 p.m. usually and then asleep no later than 10. My kids are teens, so they can put themselves to bed. It does make it so much easier!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Banned

After trying several different scenarios, I find I am most productive by setting certain days where I try to get the largest share of work done and then scheduling lightly on other days.

Mon, Tues and Wed are push days here and I may work 12 or more hours. On those three days I might typically work from 4-6 am, break to do morning animal chores and send hubs to work, back at work by 730 and work till 330, break for 2 hours for chores and dinner, then back at 530 or 6 and work until 10ish. Thurs, Fri and Sat are 4 hour work days, unless I have an unexpected deadline. Sundays are off, and typically involve dinner with grown kids and their families.

It helps that my children are grown and gone, of course, but I have dairy cows and a small farm, large gardens, etc, so it averages out. Also helps that I bake and cook extra meals on the short days and on Sunday and freeze them to use on the long work days, Housework, errands etc are all on the short work days.
This works for me because I find that the reward of the short days and the dedicated day off on Sunday make me eager to work long and hard on the 3 push days. (This Thursday at noon will hopefully find me sitting outside in the sunshine with a large home brewed latte!)

As my business is not quite 2 years old and still in the building stages, direct orders only make up about half my work so far, the rest comes off of 4 other sites and the building up of residuals. I keep a running total of the dollar count on a sticky on the computer and I know where I need to be at the end of each work day to hit my goals for the week, month and year which keeps me motivated. For instance if I want to build a new barn in July, I know what I have to have done by then to pay for it.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I don't touch caffeine anymore. Not since they linked it to my anxiety years ago. Decaf coffee and the occasional chocolate is it.

I am in bed at 8 - 9 p.m. usually and then asleep no later than 10. My kids are teens, so they can put themselves to bed. It does make it so much easier!
Oh yeah, I remember you saying that before. I have given up caffeine before, but every time I start traveling, I am right back on it.

My 8 year old has ADHD, so he has a very difficult time falling asleep. So, I give him the tiniest amount of melatonin now. He passes out within 15 minutes. Before, it used to take him a couple of hours to fall asleep.

My toddler falls asleep within 15 to 30 minutes. He doesn't always stay asleep though.

Most parents tell you to cherish the younger years of your children. I am cherishing these years, but longing for sleep and more "me" time.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by christent04 View Post
Most parents tell you to cherish the younger years of your children. I am cherishing these years, but longing for sleep and more "me" time.
I miss having a baby around, though I don't miss having a child who nurses all the time. Puberty - NOT a period I want to have to go through ever again. My son was mopey and wouldn't talk to a soul. My daughter wasn't horrible, but she was and still is prone to bursting into tears over nothing. Teaching her to drive is a nightmare because raise your voice at all and she's in tears. Any time I have to say "stop" or "your going over the line onto the shoulder" the frustration and tears start flowing.

I wish I still got to sleep in, but we got my daughter a kitten for Christmas, and while the kitten is supposed to be hers, I'm the one who is home all day, so every pet we have bonded with me. That means at night they either scratch at the door wanting into our room or we leave the door cracked and end up with pets who won't leave us alone. We finally have the puppy (he's really a dog now) so that he'll curl up against my knees and not budge, but the kitten at 2am decides that it's snuggle time and climbs onto my head, licks my cheek and starts purring. Hard to sleep through that, so I have to work on getting her to sleep through the night now.