Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I have never sent a word count to clients except when I'm invoicing them, only when I'm charging by the word of course. I guess you could always stop sending the note about the word count, but keep track of it yourself. If you end up getting paid less for your work, you can mention it to them then.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernansmom View Post
I have never sent a word count to clients except when I'm invoicing them, only when I'm charging by the word of course. I guess you could always stop sending the note about the word count, but keep track of it yourself. If you end up getting paid less for your work, you can mention it to them then.
This is what I do too for smaller clients. My main client who pays by the word has a web portal writers use to upload their articles. The software on the site calculates word counts and will automatically create an invoice on your behalf (although you have the option of uploading your own).
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernansmom View Post
That's what I'm going to do, but it still seems odd that it was such a big issue when I had to send the articles anyway and the word count was in the message with the article attached.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Awesome WAHM

I've only had one client who paid per word. I didn't send a word count at the time I sent the work, but I did include it in my invoices. My invoice would include the title of the article, price per word, total word count, and overall price. They never seemed to think it was weird. I used my own software to determine the word count, and they never disputed it. I don't think you are being unreasonable. You have to each keep track of the word count to make sure you're not getting a raw deal on your end.

Issues like this are one reason I hate pricing by the word.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Awesome WAHM

I have clients that pay by the word. I do the piece in Word, then email it to the client. I invoice for the piece like Erin; by title, price per word, and word count. since some of my clients are web developers I will also add the name of their client to the invoicing to make life easier all the way around. My counts are never questioned and my invoices are always accepted.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Super WAHM

It does send a red flag up in my mind that they want you to just take their word for it when it comes to your payment. That just sounds like they are trying to pull something.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Awesome WAHM

Some of my private clients want a word count, some don't. The ones that do typically pay for every word. The others will pay for up to the designated word count. If that count is 400 words and I send in 410, I get paid for the 400.

But I have never had anyone get bent out of shape when I listed a word count. It seems a bit extreme to think including the count is a sign of distrust. It strikes me more as a courtesy.

I agree, this one bears watching for a few submissions and see how things fall out.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgywriter View Post
I agree, this one bears watching for a few submissions and see how things fall out.
Quote:
It does send a red flag up in my mind that they want you to just take their word for it when it comes to your payment. That just sounds like they are trying to pull something.
That's my concern. This is a client I've had on and off for years, so I'd like to trust them, but when they got upset over my including the word count I showed, it just seemed weird, especially when I'm already sending the article so putting in the word count in the message really doesn't seem like a big deal to me. When my writers did it, I'd always compare and quickly alert them if I found the word counts were off at all.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
That's my concern. This is a client I've had on and off for years, so I'd like to trust them, but when they got upset over my including the word count I showed, it just seemed weird, especially when I'm already sending the article so putting in the word count in the message really doesn't seem like a big deal to me. When my writers did it, I'd always compare and quickly alert them if I found the word counts were off at all.
I have to agree. That would make me a little leary if they were so upset about you including it. I mean if they aren't trying to be sneaky then what's the big deal? I'd definitely keep an eye on it. That stinks that they would act that way. I have typically not sent it simply because most pieces I do are agreed that they are x amount for x amount of words type thing... that does seem a little odd to me...
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Awesome WAHM

If they've always paid in the past, I don't know it would send up any flags for me. I would chalk it up to someone who was having a bad day and feeling defensive/annoyed.