Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default When Offering Overflow, Can You Give Some Basic Details in the OP?

For posters who offer overflow, I think it'd save time if they can at least let people know what the topic/subject is without going into too much detail. That way, people don't have to clog up their inbox asking about it to see if they can write about it or if they can write about it quickly.

I have some ideas why a poster may be reluctant to say what the topic is when they post, but in case I'm wrong, can anyone who doesn't want to make all of that known when offering extra work maybe say why?

For instance, I'd find it very helpful if someone offering overflow simply said "These are medical topics" or "This is tech related" so I'd know right away whether or not I should pursue it.

Last edited by Del S; 10-22-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Awesome WAHM

I agree with you one hundred percent-- I don't like to approach posters without knowing what they want, and it saves time for both posters & writers to have the info.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM
WAHM Addict

I try not to give too many details with some job posts. It depends on the client. For me, it goes back a few years. My PC was building a site and asked me to line up some writers, so I did. Within a month, one of the people who applied and then flaked created a very similar site with many of the same contacts as were on my PC's site. I realize there is no way to stop this type of person, but it was frustrating and does make it hard to figure out a way to hire people.

There are great writers here, I've met many, but those few "bad guys" does tend to put a negative spin on things. I know with that one PC, they will never have me hire writers again. I do all the work myself now even if it does take so much longer to have one rather than a team of 10 doing things.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Awesome WAHM

There might be more to the entire process than I'm aware of, but what I don't understand is why/how posting what a topic is could be a problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Awesome WAHM

There are some problems that come up with posting the topics. A lot of them actually. I don't know if Anng and I have had the same issues but people can be...crazy. Sometimes people will go so far as to try to figure out what client you are working for and try to snag a job out from under you. That's an extreme case. I've had several friends on here and other boards post the topics and have people assume that it is with a content company and try to report them when it has nothing to do with a content company at all. A lot of times its just a personal issue for not posting them.

For me its a mixture of things. A lot of times it's because the client I have overflow for usually hasn't given me all the topics but the number that a previous writer left unfinished and I'm still waiting to hear back but know I need the writers for the project. It's not a personal issue of we don't want to give out the information. There is a very definite process with it and it varies depending on the person and the client the person has a contract with. Some people can only give out the overflow after an NDA has been signed to protect themselves and the client and that is a huge reason for not posting the topics.

I try to post as much information as I can on a public forum when I ask for overflow help. I figure if the person is interested they will ask me in private what the topics are or they have general knowledge and can handle pretty much anything within reason. *shrugs*
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinter View Post
There are some problems that come up with posting the topics. A lot of them actually. I don't know if Anng and I have had the same issues but people can be...crazy. Sometimes people will go so far as to try to figure out what client you are working for and try to snag a job out from under you. That's an extreme case. I've had several friends on here and other boards post the topics and have people assume that it is with a content company and try to report them when it has nothing to do with a content company at all. A lot of times its just a personal issue for not posting them.
I have had that happen actually. The client immediately informed me and even provided a copy of the email the writer had sent stating why she could do a better job than I was currently providing. The client, thankfully, is very loyal.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Super WAHM

I understand the reason for secrecy. Competition is fierce for writers...but posting something general would help.
Also, a general idea of the rate of pay offered would be helpful as well.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Awesome WAHM

The stealing (or trying to steal) of clients is a reason I don't list my clients' companies here.

Also, I had one company where it was against my contract to write their company name anywhere on the web without permission. I had apparently overlooked that part, as I wrote something simple about them somewhere and they called me up to discuss it. It was something totally simple and harmless like "I work for XYZ company." But I still couldn't do it without permission. Companies love to Google their own names. So, writing out TOO much information could also alert clients that a writer is outsourcing. I know I wouldn't personally outsource without permission anyway, but I'm assuming some people do.