Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Super WAHM

Default Is Skype Important?

I have been asked by a couple of potential clients if I have Skype. Are any of you finding Skype important in order to receive more writing work?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Super WAHM

I would love for my clients to contact me via Skype. I can't seem to get anyone to use it.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Awesome WAHM

I've been freelancing about five years, and got along fine without it until recently. Just within the past couple of months I've had 5+ clients and potential clients ask to communicate via Skype so I finally set up my account. I think it's worth having around, especially given that it was free.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I do have Skype (for talking to family/friends overseas), and I've used it with a couple of my clients. Just the text chat, though. One of mine asked if I ever did video chat, and I told him no... I do, but not with clients, if I can help it, LOL. I'm happy to call him on the phone or text-chat with him via gmail/FB/Skype, but nah, I really don't see any benefit to video chatting. Half the time I have kids running around, I have no makeup on, my hair's just in a messy ponytail, I'm wearing pajamas, or whatever... if you're not family or a very close friend, no thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I do have Skype (for talking to family/friends overseas), and I've used it with a couple of my clients. Just the text chat, though. One of mine asked if I ever did video chat, and I told him no... I do, but not with clients, if I can help it, LOL. I'm happy to call him on the phone or text-chat with him via gmail/FB/Skype, but nah, I really don't see any benefit to video chatting. Half the time I have kids running around, I have no makeup on, my hair's just in a messy ponytail, I'm wearing pajamas, or whatever... if you're not family or a very close friend, no thanks!
Exactly!...LOL I guess I will try the text chat though. I didn't know it could be used that way. Hopefully, this is what potential clients are looking for, I am not into the video thing either!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Yeah...no. lol. I haven't done video or even just the headset. Just the chat feature. But it makes it easier than having to talk on the phone because the house doesn't have to be totally quiet, and it's faster than email when you have lots of back and forth.

I've had one person ask to do a video chat, and I politely declined. Although, I declined primarily because they seemed to be quite eager to get me on a video chat. They hardly mentioned the writing. It was all: "Can we see you on chat? Let's chat! We want you to use your web cam so we can see you!"

It may have been harmless, but it was a guy who I had spoken to once before about writing work. When he mentioned the chat, he didn't bring up the writing work again (although it had been months since our previous messages). He just said "Hi.... can we chat with the web cam?" I asked what it would pertaining to, and he never answered. He just kept pushing for the chat. Kind of gave me the creeps, so I avoid video chatting if at all possible.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Awesome WAHM

And they knew I was female...but not what I'd look like on a chat. lol. But just having some GUY so eager for me to use the web cam, whether it was with THAT in mind or not, gave me the creeps.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinHill226 View Post
And they knew I was female...but not what I'd look like on a chat. lol. But just having some GUY so eager for me to use the web cam, whether it was with THAT in mind or not, gave me the creeps.
Yeah...I could imagine. I'm already uncomfortable putting my photo on my blog!..LOL
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
WAHM Regular

I have done this with one potential client, but just through the chat. I already had it anyway for family/friends. It does have my picture on the Avatar though.

I think it's becoming more and more common place. At my brick and mortar job, clients often want to Skype. They want to see a face and it makes a meeting feel more real without the cost of them coming to us (or vice versa).
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecrivette View Post
I have done this with one potential client, but just through the chat. I already had it anyway for family/friends. It does have my picture on the Avatar though.

I think it's becoming more and more common place. At my brick and mortar job, clients often want to Skype. They want to see a face and it makes a meeting feel more real without the cost of them coming to us (or vice versa).
I like the video interview concept in theory. It's just unnerving when ANYBODY could contact you through the Internet. I mean, it's not like they could get you to DO anything gross if you didn't want to... but it's hard to tell who is insane and who isn't. lol.