Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Super WAHM

Default Is Rest Really an Option for Writers?

I have a confession. My husband and I are celebrating our first anniversary and I know I should take the day off. Unfortunately, my daily goals are seared into the back of my mind along with each bill. I can't stop calculating or thinking about writing, but I'm going to make myself. Does anyone else here find that they can't stop driving themselves forward even when they know they shouldn't?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Awesome WAHM

I know exactly what you mean. Even when I find myself with a kid free weekend I still work because bills have to be paid. It is unhealthy though for us to work non stop every day. You should take the day off for your anniversary - especially since it is your first. Congrats.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:36 AM
WAHM Regular

I completely understand feeling the need to work. Because of family stuff (i.e. sick hubby-dr appt-kid surgery follow up and last minute school checkups) I haven't been able to work since Monday. I was suppose to take a whole weekend off this weekend but now I'm going to be staying up late in order to make up for missed work.
Take the day off for the celebration. I know I'll be in the same dilemma next weekend when my 15th anniversary rolls around.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 AM
WAHM Regular

Nope. Don't have that problem. I live to write - not write to live.

That's not to say that I haven't paid those dues. I certainly have! I'm not nearly as productive or as fast a writer as many of you in this forum. I do put in the long hours 5 days a week, but keep my weekends free or trade a weekend day for one in the middle of the week if I have to. That's the bargain I made with myself when I decided to choose this lifestyle. Writing is just like any other job. You don't want to become a slave to it. Isn't that why we do it????

Take the day off and celebrate with your husband. Backing off from your work for a day just might make it flow smoother when you do come back to it. Enjoy!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Super WAHM

Thanks for the encouragement copydiva, funmom91, and luckystarzz. I had a wonderful evening with my husband. I took a break from all my writing and I feel much better. I'm so glad I did. I'm very thankful to have a husband who supports my writing goals and is willing to help me out whenever he can.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree Normandin View Post
Thanks for the encouragement copydiva, funmom91, and luckystarzz. I had a wonderful evening with my husband. I took a break from all my writing and I feel much better. I'm so glad I did. I'm very thankful to have a husband who supports my writing goals and is willing to help me out whenever he can.
I am SO glad you got some rest. Funny how much better we feel <3
Old 08-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Super WAHM

Too true, rjweaver10. Since I've rested I've really been able to make a great deal of progress on my blog. Things are just clicking for me.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystarzz View Post
Nope. Don't have that problem. I live to write - not write to live.

That's not to say that I haven't paid those dues. I certainly have! I'm not nearly as productive or as fast a writer as many of you in this forum. I do put in the long hours 5 days a week, but keep my weekends free or trade a weekend day for one in the middle of the week if I have to. That's the bargain I made with myself when I decided to choose this lifestyle. Writing is just like any other job. You don't want to become a slave to it. Isn't that why we do it????

Take the day off and celebrate with your husband. Backing off from your work for a day just might make it flow smoother when you do come back to it. Enjoy!
I am the same way!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM
WAHM Regular

Gotta love this life or it WILL make you crazy!

Glad to hear you took the time off, Bree.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:26 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmom91 View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Even when I find myself with a kid free weekend I still work because bills have to be paid. It is unhealthy though for us to work non stop every day. You should take the day off for your anniversary - especially since it is your first. Congrats.
You seem very inspirational. I just checked your website and wow, you've been doing a lot. That actually encourages me not to give up. I get motivated at times, then I loose it because I worry if I'll be able to actually get an income from this. When I write, I put my heart and time to it. So it'll be very disappointing if I end up doing it all for nothing. I desperately need to work. If I could get any other reliable job while I have freelance writing to the site, that'll be great. Do you have any suggestions?

Tags
freelance writers, freelance writing, rest, writer