Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 AM
WAHM Regular

I usually find typos wherever I look. But the one that really boggled my mind was finding a local town's name misspelled on the front of the yellowpages phone book. I mean, come on now, really?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonrisaSola View Post
I usually find typos wherever I look. But the one that really boggled my mind was finding a local town's name misspelled on the front of the yellowpages phone book. I mean, come on now, really?
There's a local news station here that does that all the time. There's a city about 40 miles from me - Buels Gore, and the news station will put Bules Gore every time even though people have posted on their Facebook page that they're misspelling it.

One of my absolutely favorites though was an NBC show years ago that was doing "TV's Worst Show Ideas." They ripped apart this show called "Just Deserts" picking on them for lame plot and the fact that they couldn't spell the show's title correctly. However, if they actually paid attention to grammar 101, "deserts" is an old term meaning "deserves" and therefore "Just Deserts" with one "s" is correct. I called them on it on their forums and never heard a thing from them.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMakinMama View Post
Food for thought: Turn typos and other errors into opportunities by contacting site owners, pointing the errors out and explaining what you do. Politely let them know that you are available for rewriting copy as well as writing fresh error-free copy should they ever want to improve their site.
I have always been told that this is the #1 no no when wooing new clients. It is hard to land a job when you are tearing down their work.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastiffLady View Post
I have always been told that this is the #1 no no when wooing new clients. It is hard to land a job when you are tearing down their work.
My experience has been quite the opposite. Of course, my intent is not to tear their work down. It's all in one's approach, I guess.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I do that with local sites and to date all it's earned me are snotty emails in return telling me no one is perfect and that people coming to a restaurant website don't care about typos.
It's true that some people just don't "get it". Don't let a few snotty emails keep you from reaching out to help, however. Those that do understand the importance of what you offer are out there and you just may find a few very good clients this way. You'd be surprised how many business owners do not fancy themselves as writers and are relieved to find someone to do their drudge work for them.

Best of luck to you in the future!