Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default Need advice

For people who have done 'go to this event and write an article' gigs...what's the current going rate on that?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Super WAHM

Do you mean journalism gigs, as in, reporting on an event? If so, then I have charged between $50 and $150.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Awesome WAHM

Okay. Does that include the photography?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Super WAHM

Yes, for that price, I usually included 1-3 photos. (That said, I'm not a great photographer. I would have charged more/extra if I was doing any major photo editing or taking more than basic snapshots.)
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Awesome WAHM

She wants 10 photos per article. I said I'd do it, but then started to have second thoughts, and am now asking her for a contract. She hasn't mentioned payment in the emails, although the rate was stated in the original ad.

The problem is by the time I factor in the hour I've already spent on research, travel time, time at the event, time dealing with the photos...writing the articles is actually the easy part...I'm starting to question whether it's worth it.

But I'm not doing it without a contract anyway. I think that's only fair.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Super WAHM

I agree; I wouldn't take on such a project without a contract, either. It sounds like a massive project, too. Ten photos is a lot. When I'm trying to determine whether a journalism gig is worth it, I break it down to an hourly rate and turn it down if the bottom line is too low. I factor in driving time, time at the event, time getting ready, writing, uploading photos--all of it.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 AM
WAHM Addict

Definitely get a contract and make sure it is valid and has contact information other than a PO Box, email or phone number. Get a website listed on it and then do a Whois check and find out who owns the site.

A few years ago, I was "hired" to write a travel article on the city just north of me for a site that was "in development" promoting Amtrak travel. I did the article, took the required photographs and submitted it by the deadline. Never heard another word from her. Talked to a friend who is a paralegal and the email and phone number turned out to be invalid, as was the address she'd given. So basically the contract was worthless. I did all the work and didn't earn a dime.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Awesome WAHM

I've seen the person's website. I am waiting for them to acknowledge me, but I'm tempted to send 'you know what, I'm not going to do this'. There's no way they can get me a contract by tomorrow anyway.

The clincher is that I looked at their site again and noticed that while they have a list of contributing writers on the home page, there are no bylines on any of the articles.

So, who wrote which ones? None of the writers can use the credit because they can't prove they wrote a specific article.

That makes the guess of $10 an hour (minus my expenses, even) I'd make from this go from somewhat reasonable/tolerable to...I might as well be giving full rights at that point.

The problem is I said I'd 'give it a try', and am now somewhat worried she'll call me on backing out, but like I said, I'd have to go to the events tomorrow, on my own dime... I did the research already and already lost a couple of hours on this desperately searching for events...I can't even do all four because there aren't four qualifying events. So...yeah.

I think for what she wants, I'd want $100 per, and I wouldn't want to do four in one weekend anyway - that's too much when it's stuff you'd have to drag me to in a sack. She needs somebody who's actually interested in what she wants covering and would be likely to go anyway.