Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:59 PM
WAHM Regular

I am so upset right now with Associated Content. Since they have got this new editors seems like they are on a rejecting spree.

I swear this Dewitt guy editor over at AC just hates me or something. He has rejected almost nearly all of my articles. Some of them he didn't reject then I only got $8.00 or $6.00 for some of them.

I use to really enjoy writing for AC. Now, I am just plain tired of them. Its like you can't win with them. Not enough keywords or either too much keywords blah blah blah.

I don't understand it. I can't figure out if my writing just sucks or if the new editors are on a rejecting spree. My articles used to not get rejected hardly at all before these new editors.

ARRGGGGHH... My day is just going horrible. The power got turned off for over 3 hours and my honey wasn't very helpful or anything he just laughed at me. I just feel like crying.

You can tell me if my writing just really sucks or something.

- Michelle

Edited by: michellek5984
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2006, 03:21 PM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via MSN to annking Send a message via Yahoo to annking

Me and another girl have been wondering just what the hell they want at AC too. I normally get Burns as editor and he's usually fair with me. She gets Burns on occassion and he gives her the lowest offers of all the editors.

I seem to get offered less for the stupid Calls for Content than I do just writing what "I" want to write...even if I come at the piece with a totally different angle than most other writers are..I get crap offers. I also get lower offers from the other editors too. Burns and Leah seem to be the fairest with their offers.

I make better money by writing about things that I'm actually interested in. I rarely load my stuff with keywords because frankly I write for people not for d**n search engines.

If you're still getting offers of $6-$8, consider yourself lucky, because mine are getting a lot lower than that. I'm not new to writing but I am new to content writing. I do enjoy it but I mostly do it because it pays. I hate to admit that, but it's the truth. I'd rather work on short stories or a great novel, but right now this is what's paying me so I continue to do it.

I told my friend that I don't think I will waste my time doing keyword searches anymore because I don't see where spending the time to do that has paid off. I write what sparks my interest now.

I seriously don't know what they want so I'm just going to write..LOL..I have a whole other rant of my own, but I won't invade your rant with mine. I may start a whole new rant thread about it though...after I cool off a bit. [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Oh, and I haven't had any rejections (yet) but my friend has. Then she goes through all the keyword research bit, gathers all the results and emails them back with her proof. She keeps saying that one day they will ban her completely because she's anal retentive about the stuff. LOL..

I know this doesn't help, but we all seem to be getting the same results. Then there are those on the forum there that claim $10 is a low offer for them... I wish that was my lowest offer. [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
SuccessFundraiser
Old 05-17-2006, 04:07 PM
WAHM Addict

I wanted to just jump in here and say that I also don’t like the way that things have been going around there. I am going to try and get the rest of my 15 articles in for the month and then I don’t know how much more I will use them.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />
The only editor I have luck is with Leah (Ann also mentioned her above). She used to be the editor for the parenting section. I love to write parenting articles, so it worked out great. A few days ago I went and submitted a parenting article and I saw that she wasn’t the editor assigned anymore. I am assuming that the editor is new because I have only seen the name once before and it wasn’t good. That one only offered me an article for $4.

I am one of those writers who regularly gets more than $10 an article. My average tends to be $12-15. Once in a while I will get a little bit lower or even a little bit more. $4 was a low blow. I decided not to accept the offer and I am just writing “easy articles” just to make it to my other 15.

I am lucky though because my other projects are starting to pick back up. So I won’t have to rely on Associated Content. I usually only use them when I need extra money or when I don’t have any work going on.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:20 PM
WAHM Addict

Not that I am an experienced writer by any means, but my articles at AC were drawing me about $12-$15 a piece for awhile, then I started being offered between $4 and $6, for articles that I thought were much better than the higher offered ones. I have actually stopped writing for AC because of this. It frustrated me to have most of my work going for a pretty good amount and then suddenly have it lowered by quite a bit. So, I stopped submitting any articles there.

I just sold a couple of articles on Constant-Content for a really nice price, more than I would ever get on AC. So, I am going to stick with them for awhile. I may not get the money as fast as I did at AC because I have to wait for someone to actually purchase them, but when they do, the money is good.

-Kaye
Old 05-18-2006, 03:09 AM
Super WAHM

Yes, I too stopped because my usual rate plummeted. When I voiced concern about it on the message boards, the managing editor sent me a long email explaining that although they think my articles are great, my pages weren't getting enough views. She said that if I wanted my rate to pick up again, I was going to have to market myself and prove to them that I could get click-throughs.

There you have it, ladies. They admit to us that it is merely an Adsense cash cow and nothing at all to do with fostering a community of writers. I left after that and never looked back. Glad I did, too. By the way, I have a clout of 7 and over 300 articles published with them, I won the referral contest twice and that is how they treated me. I say, look tobigger and better things. [img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2006, 04:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via AIM to elizajane202 Send a message via Yahoo to elizajane202

Michelle, if they are offering such low wages, you may want to try CC. You do get to set your own prices and if they were already rejected why not try. It's just a thought.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Super WAHM

Thought you all might be interested in this:

Company: Associated Content
Position:
Online Content Producer
Job Status: Freelance
Salary: Commission/Contract
Ad Expires:
June 20, 2006
Job ID: 637032

Description:
Join Associated Content and contribute to the web’s fastest growing
content exchange.
Content Producers write about topics that range from cars to crafts, real
estate to recreation, from riddles to ritalin. Each article is submitted to
our online system and is reviewed by an AC Content Manager. You can
either submit articles exclusively, or can retain rights to your content by
selecting the non-exclusive submission option. Within five business days,
we’ll send you an offer – average per piece offer is $10. Note: We’re
currently looking for – and paying more for - strong automotive, health,
finance and tech writers. Since we pay exclusively via Paypal, there’s no
waiting around for a check to arrive. Once you accept our offer, we’ll put
the money in your account in days.

To get started, complete our simple registration form located at
www.associatedcontent.com/signup.cfm. If you’d like help choosing your
first topic, send an email to topics@associatedcontent.com

For more information about the submission and payment process, visit
our FAQ at www.associatedcontent.com/faq.cfm

They're posting for writers on Journalismjobs.com now...
Old 05-18-2006, 11:50 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annking

Me and another girl have been wondering just what the hell they want at AC too. I normally get Burns as editor and he's usually fair with me. She gets Burns on occassion and he gives her the lowest offers of all the editors.

I seem to get offered less for the stupid Calls for Content than I do just writing what "I" want to write...even if I come at the piece with a totally different angle than most other writers are..I get crap offers. I also get lower offers from the other editors too. Burns and Leah seem to be the fairest with their offers.

I make better money by writing about things that I'm actually interested in. I rarely load my stuff with keywords because frankly I write for people not for d**n search engines.

If you're still getting offers of $6-$8, consider yourself lucky, because mine are getting a lot lower than that. I'm not new to writing but I am new to content writing. I do enjoy it but I mostly do it because it pays. I hate to admit that, but it's the truth. I'd rather work on short stories or a great novel, but right now this is what's paying me so I continue to do it.

I told my friend that I don't think I will waste my time doing keyword searches anymore because I don't see where spending the time to do that has paid off. I write what sparks my interest now.

I seriously don't know what they want so I'm just going to write..LOL..I have a whole other rant of my own, but I won't invade your rant with mine. I may start a whole new rant thread about it though...after I cool off a bit. [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Oh, and I haven't had any rejections (yet) but my friend has. Then she goes through all the keyword research bit, gathers all the results and emails them back with her proof. She keeps saying that one day they will ban her completely because she's anal retentive about the stuff. LOL..

I know this doesn't help, but we all seem to be getting the same results. Then there are those on the forum there that claim $10 is a low offer for them... I wish that was my lowest offer. [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Hi Ann,
Associated Content offered me on average $10 to $14 when I first started writing for them. The offers have gone down since then. I have also noticed that even some of the topic requests from them haven't got any higher offers.

One editor actually rejected a article that I wrote that was on a topic that they requested then he claimed that people weren't searching for that information on the internet or something among those lines. I was quite surprised.

I don't love keyword articles, but it isn't the worst job in the world. I hope that AC improves somehow. I'm seriously considering writing ebooks instead or something. Leah is my favorite editor, but I notice that she isn't in charge of the dating and relationships section anymore.

I hope that you have a wonderful day. Thank you for taking time to reply.

- Michelle

Old 05-18-2006, 11:55 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLopan

Yes, I too stopped because my usual rate plummeted. When I voiced concern about it on the message boards, the managing editor sent me a long email explaining that although they think my articles are great, my pages weren't getting enough views. She said that if I wanted my rate to pick up again, I was going to have to market myself and prove to them that I could get click-throughs.

There you have it, ladies. They admit to us that it is merely an Adsense cash cow and nothing at all to do with fostering a community of writers. I left after that and never looked back. Glad I did, too. By the way, I have a clout of 7 and over 300 articles published with them, I won the referral contest twice and that is how they treated me. I say, look tobigger and better things. [img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]
Hi Amy,
I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for the way they treated you. I agree with you. It isn't your job to advertise for AC. Your job title isn't in advertisement for them. They say the higher the clout a person has then the more you get paid. I'm not sure if I believe that one or not. I don't really notice a difference in offers despite my clout getting higher.

They have this gift certificate going on at AC during this month. I think after I get my gift certificate that I am going to leave AC unless they change somehow.

I hope you have a wonderful day. Thank you for taking a few minutes to respond earlier.

- Michelle
Old 05-18-2006, 11:58 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo

Not that I am an experienced writer by any means, but my articles at AC were drawing me about $12-$15 a piece for awhile, then I started being offered between $4 and $6, for articles that I thought were much better than the higher offered ones. I have actually stopped writing for AC because of this. It frustrated me to have most of my work going for a pretty good amount and then suddenly have it lowered by quite a bit. So, I stopped submitting any articles there.

I just sold a couple of articles on Constant-Content for a really nice price, more than I would ever get on AC. So, I am going to stick with them for awhile. I may not get the money as fast as I did at AC because I have to wait for someone to actually purchase them, but when they do, the money is good.

-Kaye
Hi Kaye,
I understand how you feel. We spend allot of time writing articles then when they offer us crap offers or something it makes us feel like crap. I'm thinking about Constant-Content to see if anyone would like to buy my articles there instead. Good luck! I hope you have a wonderful day! Thank you for responding.

- Michelle