Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 PM
WAHM Regular

One last link:

I Got Scammed Thought Catalog

This was a guy who responded to a personal assistant position via CL. A few of the details remain the same to the response you received, most notable the orphanage angle, the pay and the fact the "boss man" is currently out of the country but will have someone else cut the check before any work has even begun.

Yup, everything about this job is raising red flags in my mind. I would pass.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
WAHM Regular

It's a scam. anyone with any common sense can see that. The next thing they'll want is you to send them money.

I mean honestly, why would ANYBODY pay someone $400 a week to write an article for ORPHANAGES!!!!!

I'm just amazed anybody would question that this isn't a scam.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:08 PM
WAHM Fanatic

The "I'm presently out of the country" bit is part of nearly every one of these scams. Run far away!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:23 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
It's a scam. anyone with any common sense can see that. The next thing they'll want is you to send them money.

I mean honestly, why would ANYBODY pay someone $400 a week to write an article for ORPHANAGES!!!!!

At least I had the "common sense" to be suspicious and ask around before I proceeded any further. I happen to have clients who are outside the country, so him being out of the country wasn't what made me suspicious. And being paid $400 for an article that's a few pages long about ANY topic is not unheard of.

Anyway I've said all I need to say on the topic. Thanks to most of you who replied. :-)
Old 11-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:

This is kind of an unprofessional and rude statement to make. The OP is desperate for work and reaching out to fellow WAHMers for advice....I'm sure her situation is hard enough to swallow without the personal attacks or insults. We all interpret things differently and want to see the good in people, despite the ill-intention of some. Questioning someone's "common sense" can definitely can be construed as a personal attack. In the future, you really should either choose words like this more wisely or maybe keep unnecessary opinions to yourself. There was a much nicer way to word this than how you stated it.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Awesome WAHM

Icon,

Always go with your instincts. We have them for a reason. My opinion on the ad is that it has a skeezy feeling. However, I have clients in S. Korea who do not always understand English the way we do and there is a cross in the translation. Should you try to pursue this, ask for a name of the orphanage. Then you can contact the orphanage direct and maybe get a reference regarding the person who is trying to hire you. If you already have a company name for the person posting the ad run them through Lexis-Nexis to pull a history. Most legitimate companies and people can be found on Lexis-Nexis.

Trust yourself, you are usually right.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 PM
WAHM Regular

I had responded to this ad on CL too. But after the second email I wasn't comfortable with it. I got the same information everyone else did. It turned me off in his second email where he wanted my full name, address, phone number and age. What the heck does age have to do with anything?

To be honest, the first red flag for me should have been how fast he responded to my initial email. I sent him that email around 4:30 Wednesday afternoon, along with several other emails I sent to other people seeking writers through CL. He was the only one that responded nearly right away. Being that late in the day the day before Thanksgiving I didn't expect any responses that day, so imagine my surprise when less than an hour after I sent him the initial e-mail, he wrote me back.

I admit, the $400 a week for one article is what sucked me in in the first place. However, I think this may fall under the old saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't."

Last edited by juliewein; 11-26-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Awesome WAHM

Talking

We all have been scammed and I think you are smart for asking. Do not listen to anyone who is trying to bring you down.

Your time is coming! Keep putting those ads out there and you will get a bite!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 PM
WAHM Regular

Icon,

For what it's worth, I applied to that same Craigslist ad and got the same thing in response. Verbatim. My gut was telling me to move on; I'd say you should follow your gut too.

While $400 for an article isn't unheard of in higher paying markets, I'd say that it is unheard of from clients that cannot provide extensive detail about the assignment. Also, just as a quick side note, the phone number at the bottom of his email given for contact was a number used in another scam; I found out that during a Google search.

Keep on keeping on! You'l find that great paying client eventually! With enough hard work, I believe we all will.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:

I have to agree that this was really uncalled for and rude. She questioned it and probably brought something to a lot of writers attention by posting it here. It not only helped her but probably several other people as well. Being rude is just honestly uncalled for. I'm amazed anybody would think to respond in such a manner.

To the OP~~

I'm glad that you put this here and questioned it. I have worked with clients that are overseas and I'll agree with another poster that sometimes they just don't know what you are saying. Things get lost in translation especially if English is not the first language. By bringing this up not only did you let the readers of this board know about it but you also allowed another reader to post a link to a similar scam. It keeps you informed and us informed and I appreciate that.

I think the Elance link is a good idea as well. I don't believe they have to pay anything to sign up so they really have nothing to loose and it secures the transaction and contract.

I think everyone should remember that there is not one common scam. There are several. Some are more well hidden than others. If you have a red flag pop up ask about it. Make sure before you do anything. It's not a matter of "common sense" anymore. Several years ago the mere fact it came from overseas would have screamed scam but now with so many companies that are legit coming from overseas you have to be a little more careful. Poor English or a misunderstanding of verbage does not mean scam in all cases. Anyway, thanks for posting and I'm glad you got the information you needed.