Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Awesome WAHM

Question Searching for editing and proofreading jobs...

If anyone can direct me - and others - to these types of jobs, I would greatly appreciate it. Looking at online classifieds, many require years of "professional" experience. Although not "professional", per se, I have proofread resumes for family members, along with proofreading/editing my own work over the years and, most recently, proofreading at TB.

I had an editing job lined up but it did not work out, unfortunately.

I have always had an interest in editing, proofreading and writing, and I think that this would be a good fit for me.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Awesome WAHM

I wish I could get on board with editing and proofreading as well. I can't seem to find a company that hires at an entry level and pays at least something that is worth my time. I understand taking a pay cut from my writing rates due to no "professional" experience and to get my foot in the door, but can't be using all of my work time editing for pennies either.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
wguest

Almost all editing and proofreading jobs require either previous experience or a college degree in English or a related field. It's a highly competitive field. People with no experience are not going to find many opportunities.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
WAHM Regular

I'd like to break into editing as well, but I'm running into the same problems. Although I have a college degree and a graduate degree, they are in science and design, not english or journalism. I don't even have any of my writing published in print (except for the high school paper many years ago!) Some writing gigs might somehow lead to editing gigs, but I'm not sure which ones. Also, working for low rates at first may be an option, although the thought of working for little or nothing makes me lose interest pretty quickly. I might as well stick to the low paying content mills...
Old 10-19-2011, 03:22 AM
WAHM Addict

I don't have a college degree, so you can find editing jobs without having one. However, I wrote for this company for eight months, never missing a deadline, taking on their additional work when needed and still getting it done by the deadline and turning in articles that had no mistakes.

I highly suggest having grammar guides in your home. I took two years of Shorthand and my teacher was like a drill sergeant when it came to grammar, punctuation and spelling. Even so, I do rely on "One Word, Two Words, Hyphenated?" to make sure compound words are written correctly.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Awesome WAHM

Try applying on sites like CL, freelancewritinggigs.com and Elance. I've scored some editing/proofreading jobs on those sites, and I don't have true "professional" editing experience nor do I have a degree in English/journalism. I have also picked up a few editing jobs on this board from the forum.