Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Super WAHM

That hurts my eyes when they misspell intentionally....or type in caps....grrr...what's sad is some don't know how to turn it off and write like that at a job...so sad....
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 PM
WAHM Regular

I'd rather look at TYPING IN ALL CAPS or tYpiNg LiKe tHiS than stupid text speak like "ppl" and "u r" and my personal favorite, "neway" ("anyway!").
Old 07-25-2011, 03:49 AM
WAHM Addict

My mom worked in a bank with data entry and had to make the entries in all caps, so when she sent me a message or email with all caps, it never phased me.

What I hate more are the messages my daughter will send me - "hi mom @ac b bk l8tr." It's like there isn't enough time in the day to actually spell a word out or capitalize or use punctuation. It's a good thing I have her friend's first and last names down and that none have the same first and last initials.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default It is Irritating

I understand a word or two in all caps for emphasis, but there is no need to typed in all caps. It makes the writing difficult to read and I do feel like they are yelling at me or acting like I am stupid so they have to really get my attention.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalloryKnox View Post
My pErsOnaL FaVoRiTe iS tHis kINd oF wHacKy tYpIng LIke tHiS.

ill be onesste dough i rily get eratated wen peeps hav know graps of teh engish langige an jus keep righting one liek these with now use of punktyouayshun or capitle leders and dey all ways right hugh bloks of tex . or the'y put randomg a postrofeys and , peereods and comas.i Thing if i was a english techer i wood make, my stuhdent's go to cragslit and free cycle and make th'em traslate the ads for home work neways i bout to go
Nothing irritates me more than severely misspelled words and internet "lingo"...except maybe the infamous every other letter capitalized.
I hate:

peeps (Marshmallow goodness shaped like baby chickens @ Easter.)
Y (Where one goes to swim or workout.)
neways (All it takes is ONE extra letter to make a whole word and appear kind of intelligent!)
rilly (Seriously, RILY??)

The laziness of people on the Internet amazes me sometime. Everything is abbreviated! Or it's all in CAPS. Or it has NO capital letters. Or it has NO puncuation! GRRRR!

I think it pisses me off so much, because it's not "natural". We are taught in school proper English and grammar. Capital letters at the beginning of a sentence, punctuation at the end, and full words in the middle. Contractions were sometimes a bonus!I've actually read things on the Internet that I didn't understand at all. It "eratates" me!

It also irritates me to hear my childrens' friends talk.
Eg:
"I did good!"
GRRR! I'm constantly on my kids' butts about their grammar, and they're only 5 and 8. Sometimes I feel like the grammar Nazi, but I feel like I should at least TRY to help them sound somewhat intelligent.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMediaWAHM View Post
Does it irritate you when someone posts a message or sends an email and it is all written in uppercase? I know that's considered shouting but are we perhaps just oversensitive these days? (no I didn't do it and get yelled at lol, I just wonder why it seems to be so irritating)....
Doesn't bother me at all. I know that typing in all caps is supposed to mean a person is shouting, but unless a person is shouting at me in person, I could care less about letters on a screen. With some people, I know all caps are unintentional and not meant to be personal. For those who know better and intend to shout, however, I figure their emotional state at that moment to be their issue and not mine, lol.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 AM
WAHM Regular

It just makes the person who wrote the statement quite uneducated in appearance in my personal opinion. I can't stand that, and then the Netspeak crap that people use these days. You honestly can't spell out "because" or "you"?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Halsey View Post
It just makes the person who wrote the statement quite uneducated in appearance in my personal opinion. I can't stand that, and then the Netspeak crap that people use these days. You honestly can't spell out "because" or "you"?
Some teachers allow it in their classes and that drives me nuts. One teacher explained to me that computers are going to be everything to today's students and that it's the rare student who will find a job that doesn't require any computer networking skills, so the more they learn to use them, the better. I'd love to hear my shorthand and typing teacher's take on that because she spent two years drilling business grammar skills into her students.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Super WAHM

The all caps gets annoying after a while, and if the person does it all the time I question them about it. What really gets to me is the new generation internet lingo. My brother-in-law is 19 and he texts, e-mails, and posts on Facebook like this. When I first met him he was starting to talk like that too. You know when the kids say "lol" instead of just laughing or saying its funny. I put a stop to that. I can't stand it. Of course I have also had to explain to him when he types up a resume for a job interview he has to use proper grammar and spelling. He flipped when I showed him a few professional resumes and said he didn't have to do that. "Its old. I'll get a job because I know what I'm talking about." A week later I had to point him to a friend that writes resumes for a living.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Super WAHM

Default Ah, netspeak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Halsey View Post
Netspeak makes me want to rip my hair out. In large bloody chunks. My best friend constantly teases me about this too. I don't even use short hand while texting. She thinks I'm funny, but I think it looks uneducated. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud