Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccook View Post
Some of us actually did hear about cases like that. My aunt and I were discussing the boy in the cage yesterday a bit on FB and a lot in private as it struck a nerve with her especially, as one of her sons is autistic and she was told he'd be better off in a cage by some ignorant jerk.
Our most recent case did involve a child who's parents said she was autistic.

The had formed a cage out of a crib, kept her in it all the time (in her own feces), and fed her one pop-tart a day - because she couldn't be controlled due to autism.

It's nothing for us to hear about people making their kids live outside -- locking them up in rooms for years -- starving them to death.

The world is full of people who should never have children.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Help Create Caylee's Law

The great thing about living in America is when we don't like things, we can work to change them. Sign a petition to make it a felony to not report a missing child in a timely manner:

http://www.change.org/petitions/create-caylees-law
Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryy View Post
Here's what I don't get about the case.

Let's say the baby really did drown in the pool - it happens.

Let's say that partying was just her way of avoiding her feelings -- lots of people do stuff like that.

Let's say that her dad did molest her -- she certainly shows some signs of that through her behavior.

How in the world is it not illegal to dump that body? I would think that's a serious offense.
It IS illegal but she wasn't CHARGED with that. The jury can only deliver a verdict according to the specific charges filed.

Last edited by adbullock; 07-06-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
Exactly! While all this was going on, how many people heard of the father who threw his 4-year-old son out of a moving car into cacti and the boy had to have more than 500 cactus needles removed from his body? Or the boy in Indiana who died after being kept in a cage for over a year by his father who pulled him out only long enough to beat him before shoving him back in?
That case destroyed me! It was horrific and the little boy looks so much like my son. They even have the same smile. I'm tearing up now just thinking about the notes he wrote just asking to die: Chilling letters of Christian Coate, boy kept in dog cage by his parents | Mail Online.

That little boy was dead for more than a year before anyone knew about it and this family was already being watched by DCS.

I'm not sure how much national attention this case is getting but here at home it's getting a fair amount of coverage.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 AM
WAHM Fanatic

DFCS is a group that I know has an important purpose and there are many who work in it that are very good at their job. I know they are buried. But it seems they also have a tendency for laziness and sloppy records.

When I was growing up, they went after my folks. Not only did they force my mom to pay back the food stamps she had gotten for six months when she couldn't work (though according to the laws at the time she should not have had to) but they went after my folks again when I was in kindergarten. Why? I was afraid of the dark. We were asked in class to talk about what scared us. I was scared of the dark. The counselor freaked and called in DFCS who went after my folks for potentially being devil worshippers and trying to figure out exactly why a young child was afraid of the dark.

And my best friend for many years, who hid in terror at our house as much as she could, whose family had been reported to DFCS multiple times, was never rescued from the abuse she went through. Not until she killed herself that is. I remember her telling me she never once was interviewed by DFCS and she couldn't remember them ever talking to her at school - even though she had told the counselor. Same thing happened with a boy in school who later committed suicide. Saw him the day before he did it and he thanked me for always being his friend and gave me a letter to give to my mom and grandparents to thank them for being there for him. Next day I heard he'd hung himself.

Why they went after us, and found nothing, yet didn't help those who had been reported I will never understand. And I'm still seeing it happen. Something has got to change with that yet the commisssioners and such are not listening to people here.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbullock View Post
It IS illegal but she wasn't CHARGED with that. The jury can only deliver a verdict according to the specific charges filed.
I realize that -- in most cases, they layer charge upon charge to ensure some type of conviction in the case when the evidence may not be strong enough for the major charge to stick.

And, they certainly layered some charges here since she's guilty of lying to the police -- something that won't mean anything really. It looks like she should have at least has some felony-level obstruction of justice charge.

Even if the police didn't think to charger her, the prosecution could have brought charges in front of a grand jury and indicted her that way (not sure if indicted is the right term - but i do know that it involves a grand jury)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Awesome WAHM

As a Floridian, I am so thankful this circus is finally over! There are, unfortunately, SO many cases of child neglect/abuse, I don't see why this one garnered so much more attention than many others (other than the fact when the defendant is young/rich/pretty, the media is always more interested...Amanda Knox, anyone?).

Since I wasn't on the jury and only know the facts presented via the news, I can't say anything about the verdict, BUT the fact that she didn't report her daughter missing for a month?? the fact that she made up all these imaginary people who were supposedly responsible for her daughter's disappearance?? Even if the poor girl did drown, why make it look like a murder instead of reporting it right away? This whole case was just sad, especially for Caylee.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

Casey got charged with the only charge they really could charge her with; lying. There was no real case against her, but Nancy Grace and the whole media rigamarole conjured up enough b.s to do exactly what they set out to do--have folks glued to their tv's and talking about this non case for months.

The prosecution rushed this case to trial simply to further their own cause; to become overnight media sensations and get the fat (movie, book & personal appearance) royalty deals treatment that the O.J prosection got. Once the dust clears...here will come another *sensationalized* Pitbull, Nancy Grace story that'll have you riveted on the edge of your seats again, dearies! Watch. But they first have got to give you all time to rest up from the emotional wrangling before throwing another curve ball your way. They're professionals at it.

Nancy Grace is like the Billy Mays of crime stories. She knows exactly how to reel you in with smoke and mirrors and keep you mentally hostage to take whatever b.s she's throwing your way....
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyMiss View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. Her life is over, even though she didn't go to jail.
I kind of disagree. A normal personís life would be over, but I think she is a psychopath. Even if she did not kill her little baby girl, someone who could be in on dumping the body in the woods like trash and then go out to party, is not normal. So itís not like it appears the guilt will destroy her.

I also read she has been getting fan mail for months, so there are people out there who will befriend her.

I would be shocked if she did not get a huge book deal. There is the Son of Sam Law, where those convicted cannot profit from book deals and such, but since she was only convicted on the lesser charges, she might be able to. She may lay low for a bit, but you watch, she will be out there telling her side of the story, making money and living her life, while that poor little girl only got two years of living life.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Well I've never watched Nancy Grace and I barely paid attention to this case, yet I still don't see how she was not accused of at least child neglect. Perhaps the prosecution did not do a good enough job, and of course the media sensationalized it (this is nothing new!), but forgive people for being a bit angry that this psychopath could be out of jail by this weekend.