Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Super WAHM

Default Poetry

Does anyone here write and get paid for their poetry? If so, would you be kind enough to share.

My professor has told me my poetry is phenomenal which is good to hear as I never really took it seriously. She is a pretty successful writer so I actually value her opinion. Can't say that for too many of my professors. LOL.

Anyway, I have shared some of my poetry on Helium, but creative writing articles do not qualify for revenue share. I also posted on Triond last year, but it did not make me much money. Of course I did not promote it the way I promote things now, as Triond was one of my very first eggs.

I would like to branch out, I can write poetry pretty much every day. Short stories on the other hand, not so much as I am learning with my latest assignment.

Someone mentioned to me Writers Digest, but my book only has a poetry section for awards and contests, not really seeing anything about publications. Did not find anything on the website either.

Maybe I am just looking in the wrong spot. I have about 20 years worth of poems I could easily profit from, if I just knew where to start.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Awesome WAHM

Here you go:

Submit to Subtropics - Pays $100

Blue Mountain Arts :: About Us :: Writer's Guidelines - Pays between $50 and $300 (it's a greeting card company)

Also, check out the Absolute Write Water Cooler where there's a forum for poets, as well as a private forum specifically for greeting card writers. In order to access the latter, you'll have to purchase an eBook on writing greeting cards. I think the book is like $10 or $15 dollars, but it's loaded w/info PLUS you'll get a password to the forum where you can network with other greeting card writers who are very helpful in sharing additional information and markets.

Good luck to you!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Awesome WAHM

I just spotted this:
Poetry Magazine - The Poetry Foundation, publisher of Poetry magazine, is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in our culture. It exists to discover and celebrate the best poetry and to place it before the largest possible audience. Payment is made on publication at the rate of $10.00 per line (with a minimum payment of $300), and $150 per page of prose, for first serial rights. All rights will revert to the author upon publication. (Added: 8-Dec-2009 Hits: 250
Submissions : Poetry Magazine

I have a lot of poetry .. maybe I'll try and submit here myself!!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Super WAHM

Good stuff! Thank you, going to check it out now.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Super WAHM

just...please.... avoid Poetry.com

They publish these anthologies- big fat books filled with the poetry of everyone who submitted online, then they send you a letter of congratulations "You're being published in our book.... registered with the library of congress..." like it's a big deal and then they try to SELL you the big book for over $50. SO many people fall for it. I'm not sure if it's a scam, or ingenious marketing for their worthless books. Either way, poetry.com sucks.

Tags
poem, poems, poetry