Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered WAHM

I am thinking about starting to do resume and cover letter writing. Has anyone done this? What should I charge for a resume and how much for a cover letter? I want to be able to break into the business, so I know it will need to start kind of low, but I also don't want to go too low!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2006, 04:30 PM
WAHM Regular

I've seen them on Elance for a hundred dollars a page.

--Traci
Old 02-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Super WAHM

Hello,

I agree with the previous poster....however I made the mistake to undercharge on my projects. Now, I realize that I should be charging more. However, I would not go too high when starting out. Perhaps somewhere in the middle would be good like $50 -60-dollars. However, it is entirely up to you. I know I have learned my lesson and will be charging more for my services now...especially when talking to others in the business.

Good luck,

Old 02-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Super WAHM

Anywhere from $50-$150 depending on many things...
Old 02-02-2006, 05:38 PM
WAHM Regular

When I started my short-lived resume writing business I charged $50. But I had difficulty finding clients. Iwrote articles on resume writing and job hunting and submitted them to article directories to be reprinted on Web sites and ezines. In my bio was my Web site address and email address. (On my Web site was a great testimonial and samples.) Despite my articles being downloaded hundreds of times I never got a single inquiry.I had better luck with my ads on Craigslist in major cities. But when people find out I lived in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Portland</st1lace></st1:City>, they told me they wanted someone local. My ads in <st1:City w:st="on">Portland</st1:City> were a failure which didn't surprise me because <st1:State w:st="on">Oregon</st1:State> has one of the highest unemployment rates in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">US</st1lace></st1:country-region> which is why I was advertising in other cities.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

As an experiment I offered resumes for $20 in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Portland</st1lace></st1:City> to see if my price was too high. Even at that ridiculously low rate no one contacted me.

I know that there are successful resume writers out there so my experiences should not discourage you. I guess it was just not meant to be. The only thing I can think of that I might have done differently was to pay for ads in local business journals, hand out business cards to everyone I met and join local networking clubs. I didnít do any of this because I had steady work writing articles and saw resume writing as a side business. If I had taken it more seriously I might have done better with it.

I wish you much better luck and success with your resume writing business.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:37 PM
WAHM Regular

Go to cyberedit.com and apply for a resume writing job there. I believe they have openings. They pay $60 average for a resume, $30 for a cover letter, and $80 to $90 for an executive resume.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:04 PM
WAHM Regular

Despite having experience writing resumes, I was not hired by CyberEdit.com and I applied twice.I believe they prefer people with years of experience. They also like it if you have a certification in resume writing. The fees to get certified range from $300-$500 amd take several months, which is why I never pursued it. Most of the ads I see for work as a resume writer require a certification. This is why I was trying to do it as a business instead of working for a company. I think you just need to do a lot of research to find the best way for you to make money from it.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:13 PM
WAHM Regular

My husband doesn't have the certification, and he works for them. They wouldn't hire me because I don't have a college degree. He has six months to get the certification.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:14 PM
WAHM Regular

Oh, something else, Guru.com sends me notices all the time for resume projects. I have a free membership there.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:40 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Resume prime

Resume Prime is a trusted provider of resume and CV writing services. Our team is composed of skilled resume writers, editors, and career experts. We work hard with the goal of getting you a job. Professional resume services are great and must try. But you need to choose the best for you, something that can provide value to what you paid for. I highly recommend Resume Prime for your resume needs.