Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Super WAHM

Default Any Lifestyle Bloggers...Out There?

Many people aren't even sure of what the term means, let alone what it does. But lifestyle blogging is blogging about day-to-day life issues and things that are of importance to the author. I absolutely love the idea of lifestyle blogging because it doesn't box the writer in to just one niche.

For instance, do you love travel AND fashion? What about marketing AND fitness topics? How do you combine two vastly different subjects into one blog and make everything fit? It's got to be a challenge, but it can be done. I've found only one other really good blogger (Jessica Lawlor) who's doing this and she's inspired me to go with the idea for my own blog. I mainly focus on blog content marketing and natural health and was hesitant at first to go there. Before, years before, I tried to maintain several different blogs on different topics of the things I enjoyed and had knowledge of (marketing, natural hair, photography, weight loss, home DIY crafts). It was exhausting, to say the least. And, I really wasn't successful on any of them because I was pulled in so many directions. That's when I decided to consolidate everything into one blog, my namesake blog, and just write about the stuff that I wanted to write about.

Now, what can make lifestyle blogging successful? Here are some tips that I've found helpful that will help anyone who's interested in going in this direction:
  1. Create a blog/site name that's going to reflect your entire area of focus. If it's not your own name, choose something that's going to represent what you like.
  2. Use affiliate links to monetize your site.
  3. Don't try to mimic other bloggers. Do what comes naturally to you, even if it sounds "weird."
  4. Sell your own digital or self-created products on your site.
  5. Set up your social media pages and direct them to your site. People want to see "who" they're talking to, wherever they may appear online.
  6. Write SEO articles geared towards your area(s) of expertise, no matter how varied they are. I choose long-tail keywords and write articles to them, even though my domain name is not one of my keywords.
  7. Write for people (1st) and the search engines (2nd).
  8. Interact with people on forums and boards (like wahm.com) and build relationships. They'll start to refer others to your site (see how I did that with Jessica Lawlor's site?).

No matter what you call it, lifestyle blogging is a great way for bloggers, really any blogger to carve out a niche for themselves. What step will you take next to get started?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2015, 02:24 AM
Registered WAHM

Thank you for writing this post! I am just now getting my blog set up and after a long and exhausting internal debate, I realized that this was the direction I wanted to take my blog in as well. I have many interests and not enough time to set up and maintain several different blogs for each hobby.

Given that one of my main interests is writing about day-to-day life, social issues, parenting, and pop culture on a deeper level than just a Facebook post or a Tweet (although those are good platforms to spark discussions) I felt that a lifestyle blog was right up my alley. Also, I'm currently learning programming through free lessons on a few different websites and felt that setting up my own website (and blog) would be a great way to get my feet wet.

I like your list of suggestions for anybody wanting to start a lifestyle blog. The "be yourself" really stuck out to me and made me smile because I always think that I'm being "weird" in the way that I write - but that's just how I am! I have a few different eggs for writing to earn money (freelancing for clients) and it's not often that I really get to express myself the way that I want to. It's important to have your own unique way of doing things - we are not the only ones with a blog like this, after all, and if you want to get noticed you have to stand out somehow. I also think that by being yourself you will stick with your blog longer, because you're being "you" and it comes naturally, therefore it's a lot easier.

Best of luck with your blog, and thank you again for the helpful post!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Super WAHM

I'm so glad you enjoyed the post and found it helpful. I debated with the idea for a very long time too, but I'm SO glad I finally went with my gut. Best of luck to you and your blog. I'm sure you'll do great!
Old 09-16-2015, 04:35 AM
WAHM Regular

I agree with the whole post and find it very helpful. I particularly agree that we shouldn't imitate other bloggers from a particular niche, especially if we like the looks of it a lot. I'm just wondering since I'm on wordpress.com, how much of technical skills should one have in order to get his own domain and hosting, to set up a website by oneself?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

I also agree about finding a niche, however quirky. I look at NYT bestselling writers like Jen Lancaster, who started in the blogosphere when she lost her six-figure job and had to downscale her life, and how she parlayed that into a great book ("Bitter Is the New Black") and then subsequent book deals. And she still blogs, and it's still hilarious.

I'll add that I think Pinterest is the best SM site on which to share lifestyle blogging.

Tags
blog marketing, lifestyle blogging