Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Giveaway - who pays shipping

Hello everyone,

A situation came up on one of my recent blogs. I was offered a couple prizes for giveaway. I then asked a few others if they were interested in donating prizes. One of those I asked showed interested, offered a book. Then asked me if I would cover the cost/shipping.

I really hadn't thought about it, but assumed that if they donated a prize, they where covering cost/shipping. In exchange they would have been ID as a sponsor with links to their social media a/o website.

This is just one request/prize, if there are multiple prizes and it is expected that I as Host am to cover shipping, I just can't afford that.

1st, Do you have any experience with giveaways, either as a Host or a donor?
2nd, Regardless of #1, what is your opinion of this situation?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Hmm. If you were giving something away that you had physically in your possession, then you would cover shipping. So it stands to reason that you, as the host, would cover it. The company is exchanging the product for links to their site/social media pages, not the shipping cost.

I have no experience with this, though; that's just my thinking.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:30 AM
WAHM Regular

A real internet etiquette question this one LOL

I'd think donator pays but that's just me - she isn't really donating when she is getting promo out of it.

Would be easy to split via PayPal but a bit Awkies
Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 AM
Author & Entrepreneur

There are three possibilities:
- Donor pays shipping (maybe)
- You pay shipping (maybe)
- Entrants are advised in the fine print that winners pay shipping

If the Donor has the prize in their possession, then typically they pay for shipping.

If you have the prize in your possession, then either you or the winner would pay shipping.

Generally if it is a small/light prize, I recommend you pay for DOMESTIC shipping, but have a line in the competition guidelines letting people know that INTERNATIONAL winners would need to pay for shipping.

Alternately, just have a line in the competition guidelines that make it clear that whoever wins pays for shipping.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:54 AM
WAHM Regular

It depends on the policy
Old 04-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Super WAHM

Interesting question. Most giveaways I've been involved in dealt with virtual products, and so there's never any shipping involved.

However, in cases where there are shipping expenses, I would think that the person shipping it would pay for it (though there could be exceptions in international scenarios).
Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 AM
Awesome WAHM

If it's a one-off, I guess you can pay for it, especially since it's a donation. However, you can't obviously pay for lots of folks. I think it would be a rare situation when someone like this would ask you if you'd pay for the shipping, so I suppose this is a one-off, really!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 AM
Registered WAHM

Personally I would assume I'd be covering shipping costs if I freely donated an item, and the odd time I've had a little giveaway I paid it.

Is it a particularly heavy book?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:10 AM
WAHM Regular

I would think that whoever is in possession of the product would do the shipping. They could either ship it to you and then you ship it to the winner. Or they could ship it directly to the winner themselves.

Tags
donor, giveaway, host, prize, shipping