Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:28 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Starting over. Advice please

I had a blog a few years ago and was earning some money (not a ton but enough to keep me motivated) from adsense alone. Unfortunately, it was a free blog and I lost everything. It took me 3 years to get to where I was. I stopped blogging but learned my lesson. I was so disappointed and never went back...

I am ready to go back but it's been so long so I need to relearn a lot. Any good book recommendations? Blogging sites? Is it better to have use different companies to host my blog/domain? Any tips?

I have slowly been going through this forum so hoping to soak up as much info as I can.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2015, 06:59 PM
Awesome WAHM

I can see where you're coming from. I used to have a free site as well hosted with Google Pages, which no longer exists. That's a problem with a free site. They can shut it down any time they want and you have to restart everything from the ground up in terms of SEO and all the work involved.

Honestly, I've never bought a book to learn anything. You can self-learn as you go along. Yes, it may be a bit frustrating at times, but that's normal when you're new at anything. If you choose to host with Blue Host, the process to create a WordPress site is pretty simple. It may be simple elsewhere, but that's where I started off so I can vouch for the simplicity of the process there.

You can have your site/blog running in 5 minutes once you're purchased hosting and the domain you want. Then comes the learning part. On Blue Host, you have some very useful tutorials that you can access on your account. If you so choose, you can also have either their technical team or someone here help you with the process.

Regarding the costs, you should be able to get a domain for about $10/year and hosting at around $3.49/mo through Blue Host. This was a promotional offer, you can check if it's still running. The usual is around $3.49/mo for a 3 year plan.

To summarize, yes, it's always, always better to retain full control of your blog/site and therefore you should always stay away from free hosting providers like blogspot/weebly, etc. because you never know whether they would exist forever, likely they won't, as I've found out to my disappointment with services like Google Pages.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:16 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I second Blue Host - signed up with them this week and had my blog up in minutes. I originally had it through wordpress.com and was able to transfer that blog over to wordpress.org with no problems at all.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annietn41 View Post
I second Blue Host - signed up with them this week and had my blog up in minutes. I originally had it through wordpress.com and was able to transfer that blog over to wordpress.org with no problems at all.
That was my experience too. I love all the tutorials they have on the basics of how to go about starting a site, very handy. There are also other services once you log into your control panel, which can help secure your site in case you don't want to take a chance with the various hackers out there.

Another tip to the OP would be to go for a premium Wordpress theme as opposed to a free one. Apart from more customization options and a professional look, they won't harbor any malicious code. If you do want to go with a free WP theme, then go with one offered by WordPress themselves.

If you want to monetize your site though, some of these newer themes have ad management as part of the options panel where you can directly insert your ad code. You can check out the WP themes I use on my signature. They have a promotion running right now where they are offering great-looking professional themes originally priced at $69 for $9.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 PM
WAHM Regular

You look like you have got yourself settled in with some facebook community work and such. You have a bit of a running start and I think your commitment is something to be admired - especially coming back after losing it all.

Do you have the blog posts saved on your computer or anywhere if you created them in a word processor?

You'll probably have the opportunity to re-publish under the new blog - if it is same topic and what not.

Good luck
Old 03-05-2015, 02:12 AM
Author & Entrepreneur

I use Blue Host for website hosting and Namecheap for domain names.

If you want any how-to type guides for anything, I suggest searching on Youtube
Old 03-05-2015, 05:54 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile Starting Over?

HI,

Are you able to get the content back you had previously? Did you save copies offline that you can repost on your new site? If you were generating money before, is it a possibility to get back into that niche?

Blogging is definitely something you need to do a little (or a lot) each day, but once you do the research and create the content it can be extremely valuable.

In terms of blogging platforms, I definitely recommend Wordpress as there are a lot of plugins and themes. I don't want to pretend to be an expert in hosting so I'll defer that answer to other people in the forum.

Good luck...
Old 03-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Awesome WAHM

Robin at Pajama Affiliates just redid her whole blogging guide. It is amazing and full of great stuff! There is a great group on FB that share blogging info with each other and Robin is very active on it with training, tips etc.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie C View Post
I use Blue Host for website hosting and Namecheap for domain names.

If you want any how-to type guides for anything, I suggest searching on Youtube
I totally agree! Once you have your hosting and domain set up, just look around YouTube for any problems you run into. There's a wealth of information there on how to go about building your site, especially a Wordpress based site.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:07 PM
WAHM Regular

I, too, feel your pain, Dougsmom! I actually had three blogs. Two were social, really, and one was a blog I created for a business that I owned but have since sold. One of my social blogs was hacked (appeared in Japanese!) so I figured out how to export it and then import it to WordPress under another name. My problem is that it's all kind of wacky, now, and I'm dreading the job of going through years of posts to straighten them out.

I'm going to try searching through YouTube for help but if anyone else has experienced this, I'd sure like your input, as well.