Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Wordpress or Blogger?

I have a couple of blogs that I abandoned but am thinking of re-starting to post as I have some writing just sitting around -

Opinions requested - which is better? Blogspot or Wordpress - or other (please say). I have both blogspot and wordpress.

Thanks for your insight!

Mel
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Super WAHM

nothing beats self-hosted wordpress. There really isn't much difference between free wordpress and blogger, so if those are your options it would be a matter of which you're more comfortable using. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 PM
WAHM Master

If you're looking to monetize the blogs, I would recommend a self hosted Wordpress blog (not wordpress.com, you can't monetize there anyway). I personally don't go through any links on free blog platforms. It's just more professional and secure to have a blog hosted and it's so affordable.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered WAHM

Smile I have both

I prefer wordpress because it looks more professional. I use blogger strictly for promotions. Wordpress has an unlimited about of plugins for efficiency. I simply love technology and love all the new updates in software that it has readily available. I researched that 50%of the top 100 bloggers have wordpress. Its great. I am sure the other 50% wished they had wordpress. just kidding.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 PM
WAHM Regular

If you never want to worry about your content being deleted, a self-hosted wordpress.org blog is the only way to go. Yes, you have some skin in the game (hosting fees), but it's worth it!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 PM
WAHM Regular

I think it depends on what your goal is with your blog. Is it just that you want to write and document your thoughts, ideas, etc. Or do you really want those posts to rank page one on search engines and stay? Do you want the blog to pull traffic to a website?

I use Jmap, a program that a couple of friends of mine pioneered. It works like a blog but actually puts fire power to your posts.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshannigan View Post
nothing beats self-hosted wordpress. There really isn't much difference between free wordpress and blogger, so if those are your options it would be a matter of which you're more comfortable using. Good luck.
There is a TON of difference between these two

1) You can use your own domain for free with Blogger; Wordpress.com charges you
2) You can monetize your Blogger blog with anything you like; not with Wordpress.com. I suggest always putting adsense and Amazon on a blogger blog so they can make their money back for hosting you for free, or they may delete you.
3) There are THOUSANDS of free templates for Blogger vs. a few dozen with Wordpress.com.
4) Blogger has an awesome template builder if you know what you're doing with code. You have access to the code of any theme you use, so you can tweak all you like.
5) Blogger is tied to Picasa for images and to G+ for promotion. You can literally post and answer your comments through Gmail if you set it up right.
6) Blogger makes it easy to format posts with multiple images, whereas last time I used wordpress.com, I had to play with a post for an hour to get images where I wanted them.
7) Blogger rates better in search on Google, even if you just use the blogspot.com name. In fact, the blogspot.com name is considered sort of cool now, and doesn't hurt your rankings like wordpress.com does.
8) There are free e-commerce templates for Blogger; none for Wordpress.com because you aren't allowed to sell anything.
9) Google owns Feedburner, so it is really easy to set up an RSS feed or email feed. In fact, there is a feed widget that does it automatically.

So yeah, they are very different. The only thing about Blogger I don't like is that they took away the ability to use a naked domain, so if your domain is freeblog.com, it will show with a greyed-out www. in front of the name, but you can still set it up to access from the naked domain.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
1) You can use your own domain for free with Blogger; Wordpress.com charges you
This isn't right. You can host blogs free at wordpress.com. Both blogger.com and wordpress.com have some additional, paid upgrade facilities/services available.

Quote:
2) You can monetize your Blogger blog with anything you like
This isn't right. They regularly delete blogs which people (competitors?) report as "spammy". They even openly admit that blogs there can be deleted as part of an automated reporting process without human/editorial intervention.

Quote:
3) There are THOUSANDS of free templates for Blogger vs. a few dozen with Wordpress.com.
This isn't right. There are now many hundreds of free templates available at wordpress.com

Quote:
7) Blogger rates better in search on Google
This isn't right. Endless comparative tests on various SEO websites have shown there's no difference at all. Nor is there any reason why there might be: how pages rank in Google's SERP's is unrelated to where they're hosted (with a few geospecific exceptions which aren't what we're talking about here at all) or the content management system from which the site's built.

Quote:
the blogspot.com name is considered sort of cool now, and doesn't hurt your rankings like wordpress.com does.
This isn't right. The wordpress.com name does not "hurt your rankings". Unlike some of the very popular and widespread misunderstandings above, this one is a truly weird thing to believe!

The important points, for most WAHM's purposes if they intend any sort of monetization of their blogs, are that neither blogger.com nor wordpress.com are pages you can ever own or control yourself, and that self-hosted wordpress blogs you do own and control yourself are available free of charge, with ease, by hosting them at places like Byethost and Freehostia, and that both Blogger.com and Wordpress.com have very weird rules and site-removal policies against which there's no appeal. They're inconsistent and unreasonable, and thousands of people have had totally unexpected and unpredictable problems with them, resulting in losing their sites, especially at Blogger.com.

The "Warrior Forum", where there are endless discussions of such subjects, is absolutely packed with warnings against Blogger.com, in particular. There are hundreds and hundreds of them. Here's just one, posted by a very well-acclaimed expert internet marketer who has been a respected member there for over a decade, to show you an example of what I'm talking about (click the link): blogger being deleted!! There are many hundreds of posts like that there, and in every other well-known internet marketing forum.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Super WAHM

Yuliya, Blogger has NO extra paid services available -- NONE. It is totally free, unless you want to buy a theme somewhere or pay someone to tweak your theme. Other than that, Blogger itself offers no additional paid add-ons. If I'm wrong, please tell me what they are, because I've had a Blogger blog for 5 years, and I've never seen one.

What I was talking about was not hosting, it was using your domain name. You can use your own personal domain name on Blogger for free, but Wordpress charges you to use a personal domain name. For example, if I had dsaldridge.com, I could use that on Blogger for free, but Wordpress.com would charge me to use anything other than dsaldridge.wordpress.com.

Of course, a self-hosted site is best, but a lot of what is said about Blogger is just not true.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 AM
WAHM Regular

I think it always makes sense to self-host and use your own domain name, especially if you have worked to create a lot of content.

I find the comments about Blogger a little disturbing after reading some of the links on Warrior Forum about it. I'm not sure I would want to take the risk.

Again, I go back to what do to happen to your blog posts? Do you want them to rank on search engines or not? I don't know about Blogger but Wordpress was designed more as a content management system. It was never designed for search engine friendliness. It serves each post up as a separate page to the search engines. They are not connected from the view of the search engines.

The platform I use, Jmap, was designed for search engine maximization. If your keyword structure is done well, posts are seen as connected. One helps the other rank and stay ranked. You can monetize all you want. You must find your own hosting or pay to be on the JMA core server and have your own domain.

It is not just a blog, but works for blogging. It has far more versatility than a blogging site as you can create multiple pages (or towers as we call them) that are completely different from top to bottom... all on the same domain. It requires some rethinking, but it is very effective with search engine ranking.

Tags
blogger, blogspot, wordpress