Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Separate blog or within a business site?

Completely interested in writing/proofreading children's books, I have been searching for private clients for a long while, but, unfortunately, I have not found any promising leads. I do not have a website offering my writing/proofreading services. I have simply submitted my cover letter, resume, and reference letters.

I have a blog that I plan on switching over to WP; it is related to literacy and children's books.

Should I concentrate on making a business website with my literacy blog within it? I am not necessarily limiting myself to writing/proofreading children's literature, so I am not convinced that it would be wise to do so. I thought it would be a nice way to save money on having one domain versus two, should I decide to make a business website. I want to be able to use my blog as my portfolio but not sure that this is the way to go.

My main goal is monetizing my blog, obviously. Can I monetize my blog if it is stuck within a business website?

The other situation is that my present blog name is rather long, but on the bright side, the domain is open as ".com." If I do not wish to use it, I need to find another domain name. I have been toying with possible domain names. I want to select a name that is easy to remember, unique, and worth spending money on! If I decide to combine my (unnamed) business and blog, I need to figure out a name that coincides with both, which is a bit difficult to do.

I just do not know which way to go. Either way, I have a lot of thinking to do.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by tenderone; 01-13-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM
WAHM Fanatic

A portfolio website would be really nice to highlight your skill set. Keep it focused on your main goal of finding work. It is great if you can start your own self hosted WP site, but there are also free sites that are set up for writers you can use to set up a portfolio.

I would keep the literary and children's books at a different site. You can always link to the site for samples of your work.

Expenses would not be great with two sites, $12 a year or so for the additional domain name. Plus a few dollars more per month for a hosting plan that allows for more than one site (well worth it).

For your domain name, if you have not branded it, I would try to select something shorter that is easy to spell and remember for your clients benefit.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post
A portfolio website would be really nice to highlight your skill set. Keep it focused on your main goal of finding work. It is great if you can start your own self hosted WP site, but there are also free sites that are set up for writers you can use to set up a portfolio.

I would keep the literary and children's books at a different site. You can always link to the site for samples of your work.

Expenses would not be great with two sites, $12 a year or so for the additional domain name. Plus a few dollars more per month for a hosting plan that allows for more than one site (well worth it).

For your domain name, if you have not branded it, I would try to select something shorter that is easy to spell and remember for your clients benefit.
--------------------

Thanks! I agree on all accounts.

An idea popped into my head earlier. I do not think I need a *huge* business site. Just something that highlights my experience, services offered, contact information, etc. Blogger does not appear to have a wide array of themes, so I wonder if opening a WP blog for this purpose would be better. Would I be the owner of the WP blog? I do think having my own domain is ideal. Can I purchase a domain at, say, Namecheap.com and somehow assign it to the WP blog?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderone View Post
--------------------

Thanks! I agree on all accounts.

An idea popped into my head earlier. I do not think I need a *huge* business site. Just something that highlights my experience, services offered, contact information, etc. Blogger does not appear to have a wide array of themes, so I wonder if opening a WP blog for this purpose would be better. Would I be the owner of the WP blog? I do think having my own domain is ideal. Can I purchase a domain at, say, Namecheap.com and somehow assign it to the WP blog?
Exactly right. You do not have to have a huge business site. You want a simple site that shares your services, samples and contact information. There are portfolio sites where you can set this up for free.
BUT I would suggest if you can afford it you go with a self hosted WordPress site. If you have set rates, you can even add PayPal buttons to it.

After you set this up, it will pretty much be hands free.

There is a difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. You can use WordPress.com with a domain name you own but you have less control. You cant add plug ins...and basically if they dont like something on your blog, they can delete you at any time.

You could purchase a domain name at Namecheap and direct it to WordPress.com. There would be an annual fee but its cheaper than paying for hosting, but keep in mind that WordPress.com may put ads etc. on your site.

You can go to Namecheap and purchase a domain name and then buy inexpensive hosting at a site like Hostgator or Bluehost. I would suggest a plan that allows you to have more than one site, so you can do a separate site for your literacy website. Once you have your hosting, you can add WordPress with just a couple clicks. It's really simple.

I did a quick Google and found this for you, hope it helps:

WordPress.org vs WordPress.com – Which One Should I Use?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Awesome WAHM

Thanks!

Do you know what type of ads WP.com shows? I would not want those on my business site.

Now, I took a gander at BlueHosting and it says that they give one free domain, as long as you are with them. So, I could use that for my business site and buy another at NameCheap for my literacy blog. Now, BlueHost allows for unlimited domains, so I can purchase the WP hosting plan for both sites? Essentially, I would be paying $10.69 at Namecheap for one domain...and then the other domain is "covered" under BlueHost. So I would pay $5.95ish/mo for BOTH domains and hosting...and the one-time $10.69 at NameCheap?

Do I need "WhoIs" added-on protection? Any other add-ons?

Do you think my blog has the potential of earning anything? Obviously, I need to tend to it more. I would like to get into affiliate ads, and I am thinking LinkShare b/c I am then able to join the abcmouse.com affiliate program (well-known site), which would be great for my blog!

I am very scared to take the plunge! It all seems so complicated, and I do not know if either site will result in any income. I know the blog will take FT effort, and I do not have any private clients, yet.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
WAHM Master

Did you move your blog already? The link in your signature takes me to a page that says it was removed.

As for wordpress.com you cannot monetize that with affiliate links so you'll need a domain name, hosting account and a wordpress (.org) platform.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
WAHM Master

And no, you don't need to add anything extra right now
Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Awesome WAHM

You scared me for a minute there! I fixed my URL, so it is there now if you wish to see it.

I would absolutely love earning income from my blog, but I am not sure if I will earn a decent wage from it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Bluehost is a quality company. I used them when I started out. However, I found Hostgator to be much more helpful. I would actually call them when I had questions and was hosted at Bluehost. So I switched.
Also I do not like having the domain names at the same place you host. If you run into problems your domain name can be held hostage...yes it has happened.
Buy your domain name separate from your hosting - don't take it from the hosting company just cus it is free. Not worth it IMO.

As for "Who Is" protection, Namecheap gives this free for the first year. I do use it on my blogs but it is not essential. It depends on if you want your name etc. available to be seen if someone checks on who owns your blog.

As to monetization, your portfolio site could make you money as it will be your calling card to sell your services.

I don't know how you would monetize the children's literary site and make money from it. What did you have in mind?

Last edited by LilBlackDress; 01-18-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post
Bluehost is a quality company. I used them when I started out. However, I found Hostgator to be much more helpful. I would actually call them when I had questions and was hosted at Bluehost. So I switched.
Also I do not like having the domain names at the same place you host. If you run into problems your domain name can be held hostage...yes it has happened.
Buy your domain name separate from your hosting - don't take it from the hosting company just cus it is free. Not worth it IMO.

As for "Who Is" protection, Namecheap gives this free for the first year. I do use it on my blogs but it is not essential. It depends on if you want your name etc. available to be seen if someone checks on who owns your blog.

As to monetization, your portfolio site could make you money as it will be your calling card to sell your services.

I don't know how you would monetize the children's literary site and make money from it. What did you have in mind?
Does HostGator have a 1-click installation (for WP) like BlueHost?

As far as monetizing my literacy/literary site, I would like to earn income through affiliate links, in addition to my AdSense and Amazon accounts. If I join LinkShare, I will be able to use Barnes and Noble's affiliate link. I can also utilize (well-known) ABCMouse.com's affiliate link. I do not know what else I would do at this point.