Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 PM
WAHM Addict

Default Need Help with New Wordpress Installation

I'm so confused! I have a domain name with GoDaddy. Went to HostGator and purchased the baby plan, using the domain from GoDaddy, then I installed Wordpress on HostGator from my cpanel.

I don't know how to start my blog though. Am I technically registered with Wordpress or does that need to be another step? If it's a separate step, how does the Wordpress blog get tied to HostGator? I hope my questions aren't confusing. : /

Just not sure what to do next. If anyone can help that would be wonderful!

TIA,
~Wendy
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Once you installed wordpress from your cpanel, you should have been given a web address for your dashboard for your blog.

You will go that web address and enter the username and password that you created during installation.

You did direct the domain name to your Hostgator account and can see it on the Cpanel and that is what you installed the wordpress to right?

If the answer is yes, once you log into the dashboard you can start playing around with how your blogs looks and posting.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Awesome WAHM

Type in your web address and then add /wp-admin to the end of the url. Does that give you a sign-in page for Wordpress? It can sometimes take several hours to get the sign-in page. For some people it can take a day.

Also -- within your Cpanel there should be an option somewhere for something called "Fantastico." This is what you go to to actually install Wordpress to your Url. Did you do that step? If not, try doing that. It should also ask you once you installed Wordpress onto the domain what you want to use for your username and password. This is what you'll sign in with once you get the sign in page after typing in /wp-admin after your url.

Last edited by khristal23; 01-06-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by khristal23 View Post
Type in your web address and then add /wp-admin to the end of the url. Does that give you a sign-in page for Wordpress? It can sometimes take several hours to get the sign-in page. For some people it can take a day.

Also -- within your Cpanel there should be an option somewhere for something called "Fantastico." This is what you go to to actually install Wordpress to your Url. Did you do that step? If not, try doing that. It should also ask you once you installed Wordpress onto the domain what you want to use for your username and password. This is what you'll sign in with once you get the sign in page after typing in /wp-admin after your url.
I think that's where I went wrong. I didn't ad the /wp-admin when installing. So, just uninstalled and now I'm reinstalling. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Awesome WAHM

you don't have to add it when installing ... just type in your url with /wp-admin on the end in your address bar in whatever browser you use and see what you get. That will let you know whether you actually have Wordpress on your blog or not. Then you'll know what to do next.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
WAHM Addict

Ok, I still need help. I see what you are saying. I have installed using Fantastico and that's all good. My hickup is when I try to login as admin on may page with the wp admin extension I end up on a GoDaddy page that doesn't recognize my password. This happens when I follow the link that WP has sent me after installation using the password and username I set up that account with at the time of installation. I'm not getting into Wordpress. Any ideas?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Awesome WAHM

How long ago was it that you installed with Fantastico? If you just did it, it may take you a few hours before you will see your log-in page after going to yoururl/wp-admin.

It takes a little while for everything to connect up and it's normal to see the GoDaddy page at first.. Just keep checking it and you will probably get your log-in page soon if you did everything correctly.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM
WAHM Addict

Ok, maybe that's the issue. I just wonder if there is something in GoDaddy that needs to point to WP? What is the DNS Control for example? Just seems like the domain is parked with GoDaddy and that's the admin page I'm pulling up rather than Wordpress. If it's just a manner of waiting, I'll try! lol
Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
WAHM Addict

I think I found my answer here: How do I point my domain from godaddy to a name server? - YouTube
Just in case anyone else has the same question I had.
Followed the steps in this youtube video and I think I'm good.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsue View Post
Ok, I still need help. I see what you are saying. I have installed using Fantastico and that's all good. My hickup is when I try to login as admin on may page with the wp admin extension I end up on a GoDaddy page that doesn't recognize my password. This happens when I follow the link that WP has sent me after installation using the password and username I set up that account with at the time of installation. I'm not getting into Wordpress. Any ideas?
Hi Wendy,

I'm glad you seem to have fixed your issue with getting to your WordPress blog, however, I have one concern. I noticed that you installed it through Fantastico. From experience I can tell you that a basic installation like that is definitely not secure from hackers, since Fantastico uses basic database names and prefixes that most hackers know about. Since you already went this route I would recommend you add at least one decent security plugin. My favorite one is a free one called Better WP Security WordPress › Better WP Security WordPress Plugins

Just don't want to see your hard work get lost by a hacker that finds it funny to mess with other people's work

Leslie

Tags
wordpress