Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Default blogspot pagerank

I have 25 blogs and none of them have any page rank. Does any one know how to put in sitemaps. Is it even possible?

Some of my blogs use to have pr.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2009, 08:51 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Yes, you can add sitemaps to Blogspot blogs. Here's a tutorial on how Adding Google sitemap to blogger.com blog account (not my site, just something I found.)

However, I don't think PR is tied to that. I have PR on sites with no sitemap. Just a thought, do you do paid posting or have paid links on your site? One of my blogs lost it's PR and I realized I had added a place for 'sponsors'. Well, I took that off and questioned why my PR had changed and they gave it back.

Something else you might consider, do you have good backlinks? I realized I had accidentally not replaced my blogroll, on another of my blogs, when I changed templates and some of my link exchangers had dropped me. So, I contacted a few blogs in the same niche with decent PR to get some new links.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:20 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I think sitemaps get you indexed by google but PR is totally different. I haven't added sitemaps to any of my blogs and i have PR anywhere from 0-2. It depends on how many people you're linking to, how you're being found in the search engines and this comes from good keywords and links on your blog.

One of my blogs wasn't getting indexed a couple of months ago no matter how many posts I had. I took someone's advice and started adding each post to digg and within about 1 1/2 months I went from n/a to PR 2. I also started paying attention to key words.

It was explained to me that google looks at several things. Links, photos and bolded words. Make sure you link to something that does good in the search engines. For example if you're writing a post about Coca Cola. Use that term in the post and link to it. Don't use a generic term and link to that. If you mention a term that you know people will search for but a link doesn't fit in the post make it bold. That stands out more. Since I've been paying attention my visitors have increased. Also,when choosing a blog/site name try to pick something that would be used in search engines or have part of the term or description something you'd put into search engines, use your blog's name elsewhere on your blog and in the posts or at least part of the title or whatever you have in the header. Try to "brand" that name.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:04 PM
WAHM Addict

My understanding is that both sitemaps and page-rank will lift a blog's position in Google's SERP's, but a sitemap won't in itself help to achieve a higher page-rank.

I strongly suspect from everything I've read and heard that the importance of page-rank is greatly overestimated for the purpose of ranking higher in the SERP's. There are, after all, many PR-0 sites listed on SERPs' front pages, and many higher-PR sites listed nowhere. I think having regularly updated content, and having backlinks from content-relevant pages themselves of high-PR on other sites are both far more significant.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Thanks everyone. I have one blog that has over 64 backlinks, I don't know if that's enough or not. I just know it is over a year old and has no PR.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Why bother about PageRank?

PageRank doesn't make you money. Concentrate on getting great, useful content for your blogs and building backlinks and the PageRank will come.

I think if you concentrate on 2 or 3 blogs rather than 25 blogs you will have greater success.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Super WAHM

I totally agree with the above post, 25 blogs is just way too much to keep up with only one person posting to them. It is hard for me to keep up only 2 of mine. PR comes with time, try not to woory about it so much.

As for a sitemap, if you are using a wordpress blog, there is a plugin called sitemap xml generator. It is a great plugin that automatically creates and updates your sitemap for you. This alone is a great reason to use wordpress. To see it in action you can click my signature and at the very bottom of my blog is a link to my sitemap that I never even touched. It is updated and notifies the search engines automatically.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM
WAHM Regular

I couldn't agree more about the 25 blogs comments above. I have four, and have one heck of a time keeping up with them. I have PR on them, but it took me a bit to get it. I also have dropped, gone up, dropped gone up.... I can't explain why that is.

25 blogs is just way too many to try to keep up with. You would do much better to combine several of them into one and write more frequently and on a variety of topics that are associated than trying to maintain them all. Google will pick up on the constant changes of the blog, which does help increase PR. Additionally, you need to be sure you are creating unique content and focus just a little bit on keywords because that has helped me gain PR in the past.

I do not focus on PR, but I do know that some of the paid blogging sites require certain PR rankings for certain jobs, so I understand why you are looking. I sincerely believe the quickest way for you to obtain that, is to combine your blogs a bit.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:32 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I guess 25 blogs does seem like a lot to maintain, but I outsource for some of them. I also use unique content for all of them except for one. That is the one that seems to be doing the best. Go figure. All of my blogs are affiliate blogs or CPA blogs. I have made sales with almost all of them but I was thinking I could do better if the had PR. I am going to implement sitemaps in all of them except for the one that is doing well on it's own. I don't want to jinx it. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 AM
WAHM Addict

Wishing you well with all of them, Rhonda.

My own reservation would be that what's going to promote those blogs and bring in a lot of traffic is mostly off-page SEO (mostly backlinking), and doing off-page SEO for 25 blogs will be no easy task - either very time-consuming or a bit expensive? I understand also that (just as for network marketing!) the income-curve is typically non-linear, and that in practice it's much easier to get a blog from earning $50 per week average to earning $100 per week average than it is to get one from earning $5 per week average to earning $10 per week average?

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!