Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:08 PM
WAHM Regular

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into general transcription but I've no experience. Is there any good books out there that you could recommend that have sample audio files with print outs of what they look like. Its just I took the test for Escriptionist a while back and they didn't hire me so I really want to study this and get some practice before I apply anywhere else.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hello, and welcome.

Actually, the best way to get into transcription is to practice your typing. A transcriptionist usually needs to possess the following:

1. Good typing skills

2. An excellent knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.

3. An ability to follow instructions properly.

4. The ability to proofread and submit documents correctly.

5. Good communication skills.

6. Good working knowledge of MS Word and/or Word Perfect. (Usually, MS Word is the most popular program used.)

7. High-speed Internet

8. A good, updated computer with MS Word installed, which is incorporated within the MS Office Suite. You would need at least MS Word 2000. There is a trial version, from what I understand, on Microsoft's website.

Software needed:

1. A program in which to play the audio, such as Express Scribe, which is a free download on the Internet. You should check all settings and have it accept all file types.

2. Download a free FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program, such as FTP Commander, to transfer the files to your computer from the company's server,should you be accepted at a company which uses an FTP client.

Hardware needed:

1. A foot pedal will eventually be necessary, although not mandatory, to actually play the audio, rewind, stop and fast forward. These can be purchased from several websites listed within this forum. You could also take a look on eBay for a foot pedal. However, if you're just starting out, this is not necessary until you have been accepted at a company. Youcan also use HotKeys for this, but it takes much longer, in my opinion. I just prefer a foot pedal.

3. A good set of headphones in which to listen to the audio. There are also many brands listed within this forum when you're ready for those.

Now, as for practicing your typing, this would be your first stepin determininghow many words per minute you can type. I would suggest www.typingpal.com; however, there are many free sites to practice with typing tests. Once you have done the typing, it will let you know how many words per minute you have typed. I would say you could get by with about 65 wpm, although some companies require about 80wpm. Some get by with less. It's different with each company.

Once you've downloaded Express Scribe, and if you have MS Word, you could go to many places to get audio to practice with. There are many religious sites with sermons on them, which you could load into Express Scribe and practice.

There is also a site called www.tigerfish.com, which lists some tests that you could use for practice.

I think that about covers it. If anyone else has anything to add, please jump in.

I wish you luck, and please let us know how you're doing.

Again, welcome. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2006, 05:12 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks so much Grandma, I actually have Expressscribe downloaded and I can use it no problem..my typing could use a lil work I reckon but thats not my main problem at the moment. My problem is, I'm trying the Tigerfish test and there's just so much background noise at some points and some parts where there's 2 or 3 people talking at once that I can't make any of them out. I'm wondering is there a way to (1)get rid of background noise and (2)mask out 1 voice to hear another? Because no matter how many time I [lay these parts and even slowing the tape down its just a mumble.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Awesome WAHM

You might try adjusting your Sound Manager, which has your equalizer, etc. in there. You can find that in your control panel. There's also a downloadable program out there called Audacity that could clear some of it up.

Sometimes, if you listen carefully to what they're saying, then relisten to the audio a couple of times, you can make out those missing words.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks Grandma, I'll try your suggestions!