Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:49 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Help with Transcribe Me Exam part 2.

Lately, I have been trying to get a job at Transcribeme.com, and in order to do that, I am required to pass an exam, which comes in two parts. The first part is very easy, but I have failed the second part of the exam many times. I have even emailed the Transcribeme staff about this, and they say the problem is me. I have read and reviewed the material many times, but still fail. Furthermore, I have heard others with similar complaints as well. I would really appreciate it if I know what I am doing wrong (something that the exam fails to tell me once it is over).

Last edited by Kevin397; 09-17-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Super WAHM

Generally speaking, we don't talk about or offer help on tests. Doing so ruins the point of the test, which is to find out if a) an applicant has the necessary skills, b) can follow the style guide, and c) would be a good fit.

I fear you've made a pretty substantial error in judgment with this post. If I ran TranscribeMe, I would be furious with you right now. Not only are you asking for help for a test you need to do yourself, but you've put answers out there for anyone to find through Google.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetteB View Post
Generally speaking, we don't talk about or offer help on tests. Doing so ruins the point of the test, which is to find out if a) an applicant has the necessary skills, b) can follow the style guide, and c) would be a good fit.

I fear you've made a pretty substantial error in judgment with this post. If I ran TranscribeMe, I would be furious with you right now. Not only are you asking for help for a test you need to do yourself, but you've put answers out there for anyone to find through Google.
You seem to have taken my topic way out of proportion. Let me get this straight; just because I go on a transcription-related forum, and ask for help on a test that I and many others have had trouble with for so long, you think it would make someone who works at Transcribe Me furious? I have emailed a head Transcriber about tests help before, and they gave me some links for pointers and tips. The links did not help much, but they did *not* get mad or furious. You also claim that I am "asking for help for a test that I need to do myself". If I have trouble with something, than yes I will study and retry what I have failed. Yet at the same time, I will also not sit back idly and try to "figure things out on my own", when I know that there are people out there who can help me.

You have also claimed out that I have put "answers out there for anyone to see". The "answers" I had originally posted were my interpretation of what was being given in the test, and obviously not what should actually be put. If that was the case, I would have passed the exam already.

Your post is an irrational way of trying to say that I shouldn't be asking for help. However, if I need help, then I will ask. I suggest you choose your words carefully next time, before telling me what to do and what not to do.

Last edited by Kevin397; 09-17-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Super WAHM

I think you made the right choice in editing your original post.

I have heard of others who have had problems with the TranscribeMe test; however, as I don't work with them, I can't say if it's a problem with test design, something broken on the website, or an intentional "twist", if you will.

You indicate you've addressed the problems with your contact and they haven't been able to help. I can't propose to tell you what to do in that case. I know if I had been trying unsuccessfully to pass a test for an extended period of time -- and presumably been told that the test itself isn't broken -- I personally would move on to apply with other companies under the assumption that something about the style guide wasn't a good fit for me. If you suspect that something is genuinely broken, then it's something you'd want to address with TranscribeMe.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetteB View Post
I think you made the right choice in editing your original post.

I have heard of others who have had problems with the TranscribeMe test; however, as I don't work with them, I can't say if it's a problem with test design, something broken on the website, or an intentional "twist", if you will.

You indicate you've addressed the problems with your contact and they haven't been able to help. I can't propose to tell you what to do in that case. I know if I had been trying unsuccessfully to pass a test for an extended period of time -- and presumably been told that the test itself isn't broken -- I personally would move on to apply with other companies under the assumption that something about the style guide wasn't a good fit for me. If you suspect that something is genuinely broken, then it's something you'd want to address with TranscribeMe.

Good luck!
Nice advice, but I just have one question. So you're saying that it's not ok for me to post my educated answers on a forum? Unlike other tests, this one does not give feedback when I fail it, and I am allowed to repeat it as many times as I want, which leaves me Based on your first response to my topic post, you acted like I committed a crime or something, I have seen other people share answers on websites regarding the Transcribe me exam, and yet others don't act the way you do. Next time, do not be so irrational. Also, I only edited my post for the sake of it, not because of your first post.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:17 AM
WAHM Regular

I happen to agree totally with what JoetteB has said. Tests are what they are, tests to check your ability and for you yourself to see if you are a good fit for the company testing for. Sometimes it's something as simple as downloading a certain file a certain way playing it on a certain player. In my opinion, if you (general you) are in the process of testing to work for me and have failed several times, and I've responded that there is nothing wrong on my end, it's something on your end, and you can't Google to find the answers on who, what, where, why, when, etc, then maybe we aren't a good fit to work together. And yes, if I were testing someone and found out they posted even educated guess answers to my test where other future testers could find the answers, I would be mad and that person's testing would be stopped immediately and offer of IC position declined. Also if I see - as a potential supplier of work to someone - someone that seeks answers for help on a test and they apply for some overflow from me, they would not even be considered.

A test is a test and if you can't establish a good communication with whom you're testing with, then it's time to move on, period.

Last edited by mully; 09-18-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin397 View Post
Nice advice, but I just have one question. So you're saying that it's not ok for me to post my educated answers on a forum? Unlike other tests, this one does not give feedback when I fail it, and I am allowed to repeat it as many times as I want, which leaves me Based on your first response to my topic post, you acted like I committed a crime or something, I have seen other people share answers on websites regarding the Transcribe me exam, and yet others don't act the way you do. Next time, do not be so irrational. Also, I only edited my post for the sake of it, not because of your first post.
Another wee bit of advice for you, Kevin: when people who have been around the block a few times in transcriptionland give advice, it might be best to accept it, absorb it, apply it and, perhaps crucially, don't argue with it.

In my experience, those who rail at a bit of criticism on an anonymous forum will find it very difficult to cope with the editor's red pen.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin397 View Post
Nice advice, but I just have one question. So you're saying that it's not ok for me to post my educated answers on a forum? Unlike other tests, this one does not give feedback when I fail it, and I am allowed to repeat it as many times as I want, which leaves me Based on your first response to my topic post, you acted like I committed a crime or something, I have seen other people share answers on websites regarding the Transcribe me exam, and yet others don't act the way you do.
I don't frequent those websites. If I did, my response there would have been the same as my response here. Test information is confidential, just as the files we will ultimately be hired to transcribe are, and should not be disclosed.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in finding a contract that's right for you!
Old 09-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Awesome WAHM

Well, I remember reading some experienced members on there having problems passing that test as well. So, there are a lot of members who are having issues with this test. Apparently, a while back they said there was some problem with the test and people were asked to retake the test. Seems a lot of folks have done nothing but take tests trying to pass.

If you haven't already gotten through, I would advise holding off on joining there at the moment. I am not sure what's the goal behind all of this, but it seems this kind of testing would only drive people away than help improve quality, which is the stated goal.

If folks who've been with the company for years and been QAs and reviewers are being asked to take tests and can't pass it, I wouldn't blame anyone else for not being able to pass it. I doubt anyone here can help with that either, as people over there themselves don't seem to have a clue as to what's wrong!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Super WAHM

I used to work for TranscribeMe. I passed the test without any problems so it's possible you are not a good fit for this particular company. Having said that, there were other tests with other companies I did NOT pass so it would seem I was not a good fit for them. But asking for help on a test - any test, anywhere - is cheating. Plain and simple. And in the end you're not doing yourself any favors either because if you can't pass the test then you probably can't do the work and, more importantly, you're robbing yourself of the opportunity to learn from your mistakes.