Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Registered WAHM

Try applying to Audio Transcription Center. They pay much better than Rev.

Janice
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaRelli View Post
Hello,
I have been told many time by professionals that I write on or above a Masters Degree level. I did my best on the writing and transcribing samples and I got rejected by Rev. I just knew that I did well as I put in a great deal of time and detail into my samples. I feel so rejected and down about this. I do not understand at all why I got rejected. Many people have told me that I would make a great Transcriptionist. I am disabled and I could really use a legitimate work at home job. Can anyone suggest any other company like Rev that a legitimate company that pays well?

Thanks,
Andrea
Yeah, me too. I felt bad too, but I assume it must be random because I can't imagine what I did wrong. Their test was HARD. Maybe that's just what they say when they aren't hiring.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:42 PM
WAHM Regular

Don't take it personally if you failed the test. It's not necessarily a gauge of your knowledge. Trust me. I work for both Rev and TranscribeMe. I failed TranscribeMe's test twice before finally passing. I failed Rev's once and then took it again a year later and passed. I can't remember what I did differently to finally pass. There are some people who work there who have awful writing skills. I always wonder how they managed to pass the test. Maybe they found just the right combination and got lucky? Who knows.

The best advice I can give is to really study their style guides and make sure you apply the rules during the test. Style errors are a major mark against you on a test.

Frankly, I'd bypass TranscribeMe. They've really gone downhill since the beginning of the year and don't even seem to care. Lots of people on Rev's forums complain about the falling rates, but I've experienced worse at TranscribeMe.

And yes, there are plenty of other companies who probably pay better. I was only speaking for the two I have experience with. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:32 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Rev scam??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaRelli View Post
Hello,
I have been told many time by professionals that I write on or above a Masters Degree level. I did my best on the writing and transcribing samples and I got rejected by Rev. I just knew that I did well as I put in a great deal of time and detail into my samples. I feel so rejected and down about this. I do not understand at all why I got rejected. Many people have told me that I would make a great Transcriptionist. I am disabled and I could really use a legitimate work at home job. Can anyone suggest any other company like Rev that a legitimate company that pays well?

Thanks,
Andrea
Hi Andrea
I recently gave the test at Rev.com.
I know I passed it.
Coz the answers were all easy.
They sent a reply...
You did not pass.
Some kind of scam here.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:58 PM
Registered WAHM

Rev is increasingly getting negative reviews although it started out as a great site. At some point, they even lowered their rates. It appears that a number of transcribers are frustrated with the site, what with Rev suspending accounts without notice, even when one has great rates. I believe the wisest thing to do when you are transcribing for Rev is to diversify, and open one or two more transcription accounts. That way, if Rev closes your accounts, you'll still be cushioned.

https://www.workonlinekenya.com/tran...ing-worldwide/
Old 02-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Registered WAHM

Hey guys!

I've ran a transcription company called MagiScript for nearly 10 years. The last few years, I've seen clients want a more cost-effective option, so I'm starting a new "sister" company called ZoomScribe.To apply, send an email to [email protected].

The starting pay for ZoomScribe is similar to Rev, except ZoomScribe will not be taking or accepting any difficult audio.

Also, if your work is good enough to not have to go through an editor, and can be sent directly to the client, we actually pay more than Rev.

If you're super awesome, we may pull you over to MagiScript, where rates are much higher. However, we're requiring everyone now to start at ZoomScribe rather than being hired directly into MagiScript.

English must be your first language.

Last edited by Zoom23; 02-14-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:09 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom23 View Post
Hey guys!

I've ran a transcription company called MagiScript for nearly 10 years. The last few years, I've seen clients want a more cost-effective option, so I'm starting a new "sister" company called ZoomScribe.To apply, send an email to [email protected].

The starting pay for ZoomScribe is similar to Rev, except ZoomScribe will not be taking or accepting any difficult audio.

Also, if your work is good enough to not have to go through an editor, and can be sent directly to the client, we actually pay more than Rev.

If you're super awesome, we may pull you over to MagiScript, where rates are much higher. However, we're requiring everyone now to start at ZoomScribe rather than being hired directly into MagiScript.

US, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia only. English must be your first language.
It is unfortunate that you only hire transcribers from those few countries. Many other countries have English as a first language and produce great transcribers. I'm from Barbados and I speak English just as well as the queen herself
Old 02-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achase View Post
It is unfortunate that you only hire transcribers from those few countries. Many other countries have English as a first language and produce great transcribers. I'm from Barbados and I speak English just as well as the queen herself
You can go ahead and apply! Mainly, we want English as a first language, not second language. What's funny is I've visited Barbados and I've spoken to the locals there. It escaped my mind some of the smaller countries who do have English as a first language. I'll modify my post.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:16 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom23 View Post
You can go ahead and apply! Mainly, we want English as a first language, not second language. What's funny is I've visited Barbados and I've spoken to the locals there. It escaped my mind some of the smaller countries who do have English as a first language. I'll modify my post.
Great. We just have a funny accent, that's all. I'll send that email soon.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:59 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeroh View Post
Rev is increasingly getting negative reviews although it started out as a great site. At some point, they even lowered their rates. It appears that a number of transcribers are frustrated with the site, what with Rev suspending accounts without notice, even when one has great rates. I believe the wisest thing to do when you are transcribing for Rev is to diversify, and open one or two more transcription accounts. That way, if Rev closes your accounts, you'll still be cushioned.

https://www.workonlinekenya.com/tran...ing-worldwide/
I totally agree with this. For those of you who got rejected by Rev: consider it a blessing. For those of you who got hired by them, my condolences. I still have an active account with them that I never use because, as the above quote says, they used to be a great site, but went downhill starting a few years ago when they decided to start slashing the pay so it's almost impossible to earn anything but a fraction of the minimum wage.

Rev and companies like them--that only pay 45-50 cents per audio minute (or less) should not even be considered by anyone with an ounce of self-respect who values their time and energy and does not want to be exploited by a greedy management.

Try looking on Indeed.com for transcription jobs (use 'remote' as your location).

To the newbies who don't know this already--you can expect to spend 4-6 hours (or more) to transcribe an hour of audio plus another hour proofreading the final transcript. So when a company like Rev is paying $27 to $30 an audio hour that means you will spend 5 to 7 hours on average to earn that money. Less than minimum wage if you do the math

Since I am a 'Revver' I can tell you most of their audio is garbage--heavy accents, lots of background noise, heavy crosstalk, speakers you're expected to track. So, it is almost impossible to transcribe the majority of Rev's files in under 6 hours per audio hour (plus another hour to carefully proofread since you have to adhere strictly to their ever-changing Style Guide that micromanages every hyphen, ellipse and apostrophe you type).

The people getting accounts terminated are often guilty of the 'sin' of using it's vs its or failing to transcribe unintelligible nonsense fluff conversation when someone forgot to turn off the recorder at the end of a focus group or something causing their metrics to tank if the project goes to grading. And if the latter scenario is the case (you fail to transcribe meaningless inaudible conversation at the end of an audio as they leave the room or similar) you get 1/1s for grades and YOUR PAY IS REVOKED.

Oh, yeah--grading is inconsistent at best and done by anyone from seasoned veterans to newbies who have only been transcribing a matter of months or weeks. An error to one, may be acceptable to another depending on how they interpret the Style Guide--which by the way, may or may not coincide with how YOU interpret the Style Guide. So, your metrics are often the luck of the draw.

Besides, getting 'graded' the way Rev does it at all is an insult. It's one thing to have your work reviewed--which is normal and should be expected, but getting a grade (1 to 5 on accuracy and formatting) like you're in elementary school is demeaning.

Also, most places give you DAYS to finish a project.. With Rev, you have only hours. If you are as much as one hour past your deadline, you are locked out of the project no matter how close you are to finishing and you get paid ZERO.

No reason is good enough to Rev. You could be having a medical emergency.Your child could be hit by a car. Your house could catch fire and none of that matters. That is NOT the way Rev used to be. If you were late in the past, you'd be contacted by support to get an ETA on the project and normally granted an extension. Not anymore.

Rev has changed for the worst. If you read any reviews on them make sure they are 1) recent and not from the 'good old days' and 2) not from some newbie who just started and is thrilled to make *anything* no matter how little for the ability to work from home.

Last edited by AtHomeScribe; 03-17-2018 at 08:04 AM.