Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Advice please

I am going to apply to a few transcription companies and I will have the money for the foot pedal and the headphones as soon as I get paid by Demand Studios tonight. I am just starting out and would have applied sooner but I got a job with DS doing titling and now they are running out of work so I am going to try transcription. Anyway I found a couple of foot pedals on Ebay and would like your advice on which one I should buy. Here are the links to both of them. Please advise me on which one would be best. Thanks.

Infinity Series Transcription Foot Pedal - eBay (item 280580853800 end time Nov-05-10 17:35:10 PDT)

Sanyo FS-81 FS81 Transcriber Transcription Foot Pedal - eBay (item 190433708345 end time Nov-18-10 18:46:02 PST)

Which one do you think would be best? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Super WAHM

I wouldn't go for either of these.

Infinity is the right brand but it is the USB model you should be looking for.

This will give you an idea of the model most transcriptionists use:
Transcription Pedals - PC and Mac Foot Pedal Transcription Controls

Before you spend the money on a pedal, I would advise downloading Express Scribe and some practice audio and using the hot keys to control the program until you are hired by someone.

You didn't ask about headphones but those I would buy straightaway.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Awesome WAHM

Thanks for the advice. Good thing I posted on here before buying one then! Yes I already have headphones picked out from Ebay. I picked out noise canceling headphones.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 PM
WAHM Regular

I'd go with the Infinity and purchase a 15 pin to USB converter. Getting the foot pedal for under $5 and getting the converter for under $20 is still cheaper than buying a new foot pedal; unless, of course, you can find one on eBay or Craigslist, etc., for under $25. Here's a link for a converter: ECS USB to 15 Pin Joystick Gameport Converter Adaptor Cable, ECS-DB15F-USB, ECS-DB15FUSB, IN-BMG, INBMG - Executive Communication Systems
Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Go online to Martel Electronics, call their 1800 number and tell them you are looking for a USB foot pedal. They do carry the Infinity USB foot pedal. Hope that helps. I don't think I would buy a foot pedal unless it was USB. Just my opinion.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:12 AM
WAHM Regular

I got my pedal here:
Infinity IN-USB-2 Version 14 USB Foot Pedal for PC Use, INUSB2, IN-USB-1, INUSB, ExpressScribe,MedQuist DocQscribe, CyberTranscriber, FutureNet (iPlayer), Fusion Voice (Dolbey Systems), Transcription Buddy, Crescendo, Medical Transcription, $58.50 US

The Infinity is the best, hands down. It works with every program I've ever tried.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Awesome WAHM

Thanks everyone! I ordered my headphones from Ebay. Got it for under $20. I am going to use hot keys until I get hired and then get a foot pedal.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Super WAHM

Off-topic, but are you a Title Editor? I was let go a few weeks ago (after two years) because I couldn't keep up with the 1000-title-per-week minimum (too busy with transcription). If the work is drying up, has that been lifted? I'm just curious.

Thanks! Lisa
Old 10-31-2010, 06:09 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisakd View Post
Off-topic, but are you a Title Editor? I was let go a few weeks ago (after two years) because I couldn't keep up with the 1000-title-per-week minimum (too busy with transcription). If the work is drying up, has that been lifted? I'm just curious.

Thanks! Lisa
No I am in Keyword QA. Sorry you were let go. I started out as a title editor but was let go on my first day because I messed up. They didn't even give me a chance to learn from my mistakes. It's ok because I like KQA better because I think it is easier. But now the work is drying up and I need to do something else.