Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 AM
WAHM Regular

Do you have to have a background in legal to do court transcripts? That sounds very interesting to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Registered WAHM

Thanks for the posts and ideas. Have any of you been done transcription on a Mac (Apple computer)? If so, what software did you use?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Awesome WAHM

No Mac here and I don't recall ever reading about anyone having a Mac on here either but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerMomx2 View Post
Yes, I agree with doing research, but you can spend countless hours researching instead of working. I've been a part of this site since 2005. I've always asked questions if I couldn't find the answer I needed. Saving a step or two here and there can also help in getting closer to the job you are looking for. Don't ever hesitate to ask anyone for help.
Asking questions when you can't find the answers you need is fine, but knowing how to research is invaluable if you're going to have a successful career in transcription.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:54 AM
WAHM Fanatic

First, yes, it does help to have a legal background. Most court reporters, if not all, will not hire you without it.

Second, Susan, I agree with what you said; however, the tone of your post sounded as if you were irritated that people had the nerve to even ask questions when all they had to do was look it up for themselves. I can tell you from experience, had I not asked the questions I asked I certainly wouldn't be in the position I'm in. I do agree research is very important, but sometimes when you've exhausted all your means, it helps to ask questions and maybe cut out the middle in order to get to where you need to be. This site, as I understood it, was for all of the WAHMs to come here if they needed any help at all if they couldn't find what they were looking for. Just saying that's how I interpreted your threads not just on this occasion but on previous posts in previous threads.

With that said Sadie, I will respond hopefully today to your PM, but I'm still working on this death penalty trial. I'm on closing arguments now. When I finish, if not today maybe tomorrow, I will send you a PM with respect to your questions.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Awesome WAHM

Hi SoccerMomx2,

I totally agree with you on Susan's post. Her tone did sound exactly like that. Quite frankly I was shocked when I read her post and felt the tone of it. Everyone on here has always been so nice and helpful and I was really surprised at the irritation in her post.

I always try to help anyone I can and answer any questions, even if they've been asked over and over, or try to point them in the right direction to find more info.

I think when someone (usually a mom) finds this forum, it is because they have only recently realized that they can work from home and they can make money. But this is all new to them and they have questions, because they are unsure of so much when just starting out. It's a scary world these days and the economy sucks and so many people are trying to just make ends meet and they are so stressed. By the time they find us they are usually just so happy to learn 'hey, I can help out my family, I can make some money, I'll be able to buy food or diapers or whatever', that they have lots of questions and they are not so familiar with the forum yet to be able to find what they are looking for. They are also skeptical because so many companies out there are scams and charge money and don't (usually) give you anything for it. Even after reading that they can get a start with this company or that company and it won't cost them any money, they still want reassurance from a real person that is actually working at this company or that company that 'yes, it is free, yes, you can make money, no it's not a scam.'

So bring on the questions. I also believe that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

As for getting back to me, take your time. I'm in no hurry. Files always come first.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 AM
WAHM Addict

Yes, don't be afraid to ask questions here. We're happy to help.

Whether you do your research here or at some other site, it's all the same....research is research. Asking questions is part of your research.

We're a good resource of information.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Super WAHM

I didn't take SusanC's post as displaying irritation. I understood it as very good, unarguable, advice.

I agree with you, SoccerMomx2, when you say this:

Quote:

...sometimes when you've exhausted all your means, it helps to ask questions...
Transcriptionists of umpteen years' experience know that but, 'exhausted all your means,' does mean exactly that.

This, however, is contradictory:
Quote:
...and maybe cut out the middle in order to get to where you need to be.
You (that is the general you) either do your research properly or you don't. The path you choose right from the beginning will determine your success as a transcriptionist.

As MTHome says, 'research is research,' and it doesn't matter where you do it - as long as you do.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 PM
WAHM Fanatic

ALBA

Point well taken; however, how discouraging is it for a "new" WAHM to come to a thread and see where people are asking for advice and read a post such as that and are too scared to ask for help? Their first thought would be how can I ask for help after reading that?

I didn't say I disagreed with her. I do agree, and if you think what I posted contradicts, then that's your opinion.

I can tell you when I started out in 2005, I was scared to death. I had no clue where to begin. I came here and found this site to be very informative. What I got from Susan's post and previous posts were, when you exhaust all your means of research then come here and ask and then we'll answer your questions. You can do research and ask questions at the same time, and in the process of asking questions and doing research, if your question is answered on here, then it does cut out the middle of continuing to do further research. So if that's contradictory in your eyes and opinion, oh well. Research can be very frustrating, especially if you have no clue as what to look for. Not everybody coming in is experienced in transcription or even knows how to get started. While there is a sticky post thread in the transcription folder on how to get started, sometimes it can be overwhelming. People use different software programs to transcribe. One may be better than the other, USB foot pedals, earphones, whatever the case is. Sometimes, questions need to be asked.

I'm glad that you found Susan's post to be informative, as did I. I thought, and it still is my opinion, that it was a little harsh and still feel that tone was such that "I'll help you and give you the answers you're looking for once you have exhausted all your means, but not before." Again that's my opinion.

I have a lot of respect for Susan. She has posted some very informative and great stuff on here. But in all honesty the last few times I have viewed threads where people have asked for help, I've seen her post the almost identical info.

Again, if you feel I've contradicted myself, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I can tell you though if I were a new WAHM coming in and read that, I would look for another site because I would feel that if I attempted to ask a question, that no one is going to help me. Just saying, and that's my opinion, which I'm entitled to.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie1Lady1 View Post
Hi SoccerMomx2,

I totally agree with you on Susan's post. Her tone did sound exactly like that. Quite frankly I was shocked when I read her post and felt the tone of it. Everyone on here has always been so nice and helpful and I was really surprised at the irritation in her post.
There was no irritation. I was stating a fact.

Quote:
ALBA

Point well taken; however, how discouraging is it for a "new" WAHM to come to a thread and see where people are asking for advice and read a post such as that and are too scared to ask for help? Their first thought would be how can I ask for help after reading that?
Really, if people are going to be "too scared" to ask questions, if they're going to be "shocked" when they perceive (mistakenly or not) irritation in someone's post, they're going to have to toughen up. Transcription is a business and, as in all businesses, the thin-skinned don't survive for very long.

Tags
advise, audio hour, earnings, software, transcribe