WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Tips for Saving Money (https://www.wahm.com/forum/tips-saving-money-47/)
-   -   Your Best Money Saving Tips (https://www.wahm.com/forum/tips-saving-money-47/718115-your-best-money-saving-tips.html)

valcreates 10-30-2013 05:33 AM

Your Best Money Saving Tips

I don't consider myself super frugal
My husband and I saved early on. I am not into pricey purses or expensive shoes.
I like books, tech stuff, art, doing nice things from my family.

Get rid of basic cable and cable TV
Netflix, DVDS, are all cheaper.

Dollar tree
Great place for perfume, cheap make up, and household goods. I only go to dollar tree every few months because I can over do it. I don't

Budget movie theaters. If you don't mind seeing it later these can be fun and cheap.

Make friends with your library

81charduck 11-01-2013 11:43 AM

I am an avid reader, but I rarely buy books. I never re-read books, so I just take them out at our local library and return them when I'm done. For anyone who reads a lot, this can save you a lot of money.

Thrift stores have become much more than junk stores now. You'll see all kinds of people at them, not only poor people. I have purchased name-brand clothes that still have tags on them at thrift stores! I have bought doo-dads for the house and for my hobbies. Their stock changes constantly, so find out when new things come in, and go there the day after for the best choice.

danasurvey 11-02-2013 10:16 AM

I like Dollar Tree too. :) Coupons and finding things on sale help me to save.

MariaThompson 11-06-2013 12:06 PM

I love Dollar Tree!

My Top 10 Tips for Saving Money:

1. Turn off TV & lights when not needed;
2. Only heat the rooms you use;
3. Find offers, coupons, discounts for almost everything I purchase;
4. If I'm considering a big purchase, I wait 2 weeks to decide if I want it.
5. Write lists before going shopping;
6. Repair stuff instead of buying new;
7. Ask for reduced rates from credit card company;
8. Eat less snack foods;
9. Don't drink or smoke;
10. Swap books and music with my friends.

:)

lovelytally 11-07-2013 11:15 AM

Hey! I'm a college student and totally broke. I really want to save money. Please tell me how. Thanks!

rakeshcreativetips 11-08-2013 03:30 AM

On monthly basis i start to invest my money in Mutual Funds & PPF. I will get good fund at the end of year, which saves lot of my money.

MommywithScents 11-16-2013 10:52 AM

1) Go to the library
2) Go to parks / local resources that are free ~ get out in nature :-)
3) Use coupons
4) When ordering online find a code for FREE shipping
5) Follow Money Saving Blogs - my two favorite ones are Money Saving Mom and Hip 2 Save!

Here's to saving money ~ Jolene

Vikram_Kyle 12-17-2013 01:53 AM

Saving Tpis

:) The best idea for saving money invest money on any fund like as open policy account, Fixed deposit or invest any mutual fund.

Robin Bull 12-17-2013 08:45 AM

We have basic cable. I hate it. Of course, I am not much of a TV person.

We turned off Netflix because we couldn't find anything else we wanted to watch.

I have a Rabbit TV plug in thing for my computer. Sometimes I use it because I can take it with me. I paid $10 for it. I've watched some cool stuff. Yes, it's legal.

Libraries, free ebooks, and recently I used a YouTube idea on heating my tiny office using tea lights (since I had some).

Our home is about 100 years old so as you can imagine, it's a little drafty. If we aren't going to be home and it's going to be above freezing, I turn off the down stairs wall furnace. I leave the one upstairs on because I can't ever get it to come on by myself...so if I make it home before my husband, well...we freeze upstairs! LOL

I don't do the coupon thing. It costs more for me, but I've seen it work well for others. I use Aldi's, the super mercado, and places like that. I stay away from Wal-Mart like I stay away from the Plague.

Nikki TX 12-17-2013 01:41 PM

Saving $

There are a few things we do to save money but the top four I can think of are:

--Cancel cable if your job isn't in the Television/Movies field. (I used to work at NBC so I know this isn't possible all the time.) Try Apple TV or Chromecast.

--Eat $1 meals once or twice a week. (Rice and beans; spaghetti and sauce, etc)

--Do your clothes shopping twice a year when the seasons are over. Head to outlets or sample sales (if you live in a major city). Always buy basics for the following year. For example, I'm going to get a new coat in January for winter 2015. I'm going to go with a basic classic style because my coat of 6 years is ripping.

--DIY one thing that you aren't doing now. Maybe it's your nails, hair blow outs, painting a room in your house, etc. Find an expert and ask them to teach you whatever you want to learn.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays!
-Nikki

Samantha7 01-02-2014 09:01 AM

I tend to buy in off-season to save money. Using coupons is also a tried and test method which is very useful.

Missleiii 01-03-2014 05:18 PM

Groupon

The Groupon app is great for saving $$ ! :)

Sheena.Carnes 01-08-2014 09:33 AM

I love the ideas on this thread :)

Some that came to mind for me:

Drive slower and don't accelerate and brake quickly, this will increase your gas mileage. I live in a rural state and have to drive almost everywhere. We also traded in a gas guzzling van for an economical Camry. We do have a van now but it's not the main car we drive.

Turn the thermostat down, wear my clothes inside to keep warm.

Cook more vegetarian meals, one or two nights a week go meatless.

My husband and I were spending a lot at Starbucks, etc. So we bought our own bottle of Hazlenut syrup and a french press, make the coffee really strong and make our lattes. We also found a cheap espress maker at a thrift shop for $5 that steams the milk. We still go to coffee shops, just not as much :)

CassandraStanley 01-14-2014 03:56 PM

Plan meals out based on sales and combine coupons as much as you can with sale items to really save $$

Angielew2 01-17-2014 02:06 PM

Pay cash for everything (You tend to spend less when you pay cash, because it hurts more to part with cash than swiping a card)

Don't finance anything (Except for your house if you must). Why pay someone money for the privilege of borrowing? Just don't buy something until you have the cash to pay for it
Re-do your W-2 forms so that you won't get such a large return at the end of the year. Yes, you heard me right. Why let the government borrow your money all year interest free? Less of a refund of the end of the year will give you more money on each payday, which in turn, you can put in a bank account that will EARN you interest.

WirdBird 01-29-2014 07:03 PM

Saving

Compare prices. Do you really need that name brand can of pasta sauce? Or will a cheaper store brand work instead? I save a lot of money by just comparing prices of different brands before making any purchases.

Grow your own garden! Why pay $1 for a single ear of corn when you can pay $.50 for a packet of seeds?

Conserve your electricity and water. If you use a dishwasher, make sure it's full before starting it up; same with your clothes washer. If you have the option and the weather is nice, hang clothes out on a line to dry instead of using the dryer. Doing this with that big comforter that takes up all the dryer space on its own is a great energy saver.

Lisa Palmer 01-29-2014 09:09 PM

The money saving tips offered in the responses to this post are amazing! Thank you for sharing everyone! =)

5525carin 01-30-2014 11:00 AM

Did you know that you can use coupons at The Dollar Tree? I have gotten my daughters Progresso Minestrone soup for $.75 a can that way. Do check out their site for a full disclosure of their coupon policy.

Mrs. Scriblz 02-15-2014 08:07 AM

My Four Best

1) Make all of your own cleaning supplies: you'll be richer and healthier! There are so many recipes for DIY homemade laundry soap, cleaning spray, window cleaner, etc. on the internet and IMHO they do a better job than the commercial, chemical filled ones. Nice thing is, you only need 2-3 ingredients per cleaner.
2) Cut down (way down) on your meat consumption. Meat is the single most expensive grocery item we consume, and our bodies do not need meat every night of the week. Find high protein substitutes on the 'net, they are everywhere.
3) Make your own gifts. I have found loved ones and friends really appreciate a handmade gift from you rather than an expensive, store bought gift. Nothing says "from the heart" more than a gift YOU took the time and love-filled energy to make for them. Trust me, they will appreciate it! And, you will save tons of money.
4) Always shop the "after holiday sales". Goods are typically 75% - 90% off AFTER the holidays. Great time to stock up on lights, decorations, gift wrap, candles, etc.

vivianpos 04-03-2014 02:46 PM

I use coupons, I borrow books from local library, I follow some money saving and freebies blog.

chubbyclouds 04-14-2014 02:17 AM

1.Cook your own meals-its cheaper than ordering take-outs,

2. Try to sleep early to save electricity, wash your dishes personally than using a dishwasher and try to hang your clothes outside than using the dryer (if applicable)

3.search and compare prices online for things that you are planning to buy

4.search and shop in thrift stores/garage sale in your community
you will be amazed how far you can stretch your dollars. I have recently been using a site called "GarageSaleCow" it works really well and its free

5.collect coupons

Also, make a lifestyle check, see if your Netflix subscription or Hulu Plus membership necessary for example. Live within your means and Buy your "needs" first before your "wants".

love yah all! :)

mojper 04-15-2014 09:20 AM

1. Don't go to the store.

2. Turn off computer.

3. Turn off TV.

4. Forget about shoping.

End of the story :D

jainamshah 04-28-2014 02:06 AM

Save money on home decor by canvas picture

Saving money is great habit which we all have to learn, if we have or not. First of all we have to keep in mind like which expense is our necessary and which expense is for our enjoyment. Because if we learn this both thing we will start to save money. Recently i decor my home. I want some of photos on canvas. Because my home is looking very old so i want to renovate it with canvas picture. I searched many web store across USA. And I choose Canvas Champ for my project. Because this is very cheap store. Price is very low.

websurveymom 04-28-2014 12:13 PM

another tip is to collect coupons. I receive newspapers with coupons every week, I collect some and use them at store, sometimes I went online to a certain store such as walmart.com to print some coupons too. Good way to save from shopping.

workonline 05-05-2014 07:06 AM

Great tips i really appreciate .... what i think if you make some extra money in you free time you wont require to put your mind in saving money.

doterrawellnessadvocate 05-27-2014 02:19 PM

A few of my favorite save money tips:

-Cook meals monthly or weekly and freeze them, then its easy to take out of the freezer and heat up. This will save you from trying to decide what to eat and running to the grocery store all of the time. And you could make them super healthy! Try this blog: OAMC, Make Ahead Meals, and Freezer Cooking Articles
-Cancel your cable TV and set up XBMC on your computer.
-if you love magazines consider splitting on a subscription and sharing with a friend.
-skip eating out randomely throughout the month and plan 1 date night type outing a month.
-cancel the gym membership and go workout outside or get a workout video for when there are bad weather days.
-swap babysitting with friends rather than paying a lot for a sitter(for that date night you planned :) )
-If you really love shopping then do it online through cash back/rewards type programs like swagbucks. And if you really want to shop without spending money from your budget then find ways to make money online for free. There are tons of sites to do this, just have to be consistent and understand how it works. When I get paid from online sites to my Paypal account, I send the money to my shopping bank account that is attached to my Paypal and use that. It builds up over time and is a nice treat!
-Shop for baby clothes on sites like Kijiji or on local Facebook groups, you can get some great barely used baby stuff for cheap. You can even do swaps so it costs even less.
-I am in Canada so couponing isn't as awesome as the states but if you watch the flyers for good deals and have manufacturers coupons then you can save a good amount of money on things you need.

There's tons more but those are a few that I use to help my family save money.

guuky 06-01-2014 12:51 PM

just want to say thanks to everyone for sharing your tips.

James Martin 06-20-2014 12:25 PM

Cashless is a perpetual state of existence. Short on funds and craving for pleasurable pursuits, you have two options. Resign to your impoverished status, or go through the points which I have compiled for your convenience.

1.Plan your purchases

2.Avoid debt

3.Contribute to save

4.Stop inexpensive entertainment

5.Part-time jobs

Robert Brown 06-27-2014 06:02 PM

You can save your money by following these tips. I have also used these tips to save my money.

Set you real financial goals
Use you money with responsibility and remind your goals
Create an emergency fund
Tackle your taxes
Low your energy usage
Adopt a simple life. If you drink daily tea in restaurant then you should drink tea in restaurant once in a week.

Datacol 07-01-2014 11:42 PM

The key for saving money is planning. Not only your budget, but your time as well. It's hard to believe, but it works.

andybrown 07-17-2014 12:12 AM

interesting thread. i find some very good ways to save money

Marie Wright 08-28-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by workonline (Post 3210020)
Great tips i really appreciate .... what i think if you make some extra money in you free time you wont require to put your mind in saving money.

Oh I so agree with you.

Marie Wright 08-28-2014 08:22 AM

If you have clothes you seldom wear or don't wear anymore and it still looks new or good, you could try selling it online. Best place to promote your goods and sell it is on the social media. You could also sell homemade cookies or whatnot and sell it online. Really, you should try to get more income so you could save more. #1 rule to save is to only get what you need. Your monthly expenses should not exceed to how much you are making per month. Right after you received your salary, don't spend it yet. Set aside some cash first, even a little amount will do just as long as you have saved some from every salary you get each month. Then, buy only what you need. Then budget how much is left till your next salary. Be firm and don't give in to things that you don't need. Don't be an impulsive buyer. Always plan things and yes, be firm.:) Hope that helps.

James Martin 09-19-2014 08:42 AM

These days it seems everyone is exploring new and novel ways to save more money. There are some tips through you can save money

1) By using used products
2) Try to buy in bulk
3) By making a monthly budget
4) Select a good saving account
5) Use free ATM's

bop0p 09-27-2014 03:04 PM

Get rid of credit cards, refi your mortgage.

jessm4 09-30-2014 02:10 PM

I love all these tips. Thanks everyone for posting them

dreamdreams 10-01-2014 04:47 PM

I agree. Great tips!

maurice.cowell 10-02-2014 06:42 PM

I really appreciate all the saving tips on this thread. In my case, I always get a certain percentage of my salary every payday and put it in my savings account. I have never touched it for years now and looking at it, I realized how much I saved.

[email protected] 10-09-2014 07:12 AM

Don't forget your budget!

These are all great tips but you will only be able to maximize the result of using them if you have a budget first! This is a lesson that has taken me the longest to learn - you have to really sit down with all your bills and credit card statements and look at how much you are spending every month. Make a list of the necessary expenses vs. the ones you can cut, and actually cut things. Then give yourself a maximum that you can spend every month (or you can break it down into maximum to spend a week) outside of the necessary expenses. Using the frugal tips to help you stay within the budget you set will be so much more effective than just blindly using frugal tips when you're feeling short on cash :)

booksalot 10-16-2014 03:27 PM

I always check our local "discount bins" - there is usually one in the produce and dairy sections. I once got milk for a $1 just because they had an over stock of items. It was awesome!