Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:04 AM
Registered WAHM

Reduce your unwanted money spending items or things
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 AM
WAHM Regular

I have three kids and i realized doing off season shopping for them saves me lots of money. I am then able to save a little bit more in mutual funds.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:39 PM
WAHM Regular

I find what helps be best is creating a budget. This allows me to monitor what I spend each month, and also allows me to figure out where I need to put more effort into reducing spending. I also find this motivates me to find better deals as I love the feeling of coming in under budget at the end of the month!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:42 AM
WAHM Regular

Yes! I absolutely agree with this! Movie theatres are very pricey these days, and I just find that paying 8$ a month on Netflix can save a lot of money. Also the comfort of your home is a lot greater

PS. I use this site for movies and shows that are not available on netflix. It is free and easy!
Coke and PopCorn ~ TV Shows and Movies Replay | Watch TV Shows and Movies Online
Old 05-08-2015, 07:42 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Your Best Money Saving Tips

-Walk a lot or cycle instead of wasting money on gas.
-My family stopped buying newspapers since everything can be found online.
-Cook your own meals if possible.
-Don't waste money on cheep stuff that get broken easily, invest money in more expensive stuff that can last for years and that way avoid replacement or repair costs.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:23 PM
WAHM Regular

Default saving money

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelytally View Post
Hey! I'm a college student and totally broke. I really want to save money. Please tell me how. Thanks!

As a college student, it's really hard to make ends meet, I worked so many jobs! It really depends on what your living arrangements are, whether you are on or off campus, if you have anyone you can share expenses with . . . I tried a lot of different things. I never really learned the basics of personal money management until I went to college.

It's nice to have a treat, but try to stay away from doing things like getting coffee from a shop, or even treating yourself to any sort of dine out food. If you really want a treat, buy what you need from the grocery and make it yourself. Try to stick to basics, fresh food, crock pot soups and stews, don't get sucked into buying frozen premade. If you can deal with the complications, do try to get a roommate or two to split living costs. Try to simplify your life -- resist buying something unless it's useful, and for everything you bring into your room / flat, get rid of something else. The less you have to maintain, the cheaper. Shop at second hand stores or use freecycle.com for things you need (or need to get rid of).

A lot of times you can either check out from the library or rent the really pricey textbooks, most of them you're not really going to use, so if you have to buy texts, only keep them if they are truly reference books, otherwise sell them when you're done with the class. Sometimes you can share lab equipment if you have a friend that takes the lab on a different day (share lab goggles, coats, equipment, workbooks).

As far as actually saving money, make a commitment to do five things: save a little, spend a little, invest a little, give some away, and tithe a little. Even if you only have a bit, decide how much goes to each of these goals. People find envelope budgeting is helpful: have an envelope for each expense, like savings, rent, gas, groceries, school supplies, fun / social money, and then put cash into each envelope based on what your budget is (a budget is simply the amount of money you have coming in, and then make a list of everything you have to pay, and those two amounts should be equal). Then when the envelope is empty, you can't spend anymore that week / month. I also had a jar I tossed quarters into for laundry, and another jar for other change (when the change adds up, use it to pay a bill or to add to your savings). If you use a bank, get a student account or online account so you don't incur fees. Don't write checks -- pay cash. Absolutely do not get a credit card -- pay cash. If you don't have cash, you should not be buying whatever it is. Use your checking account and debit card for online payments for rent and utilities, use the cash from your envelope system instead of using your debit card (it's a slippery slope, once you start using it, it's very easy to justify using it more, and then you overspend).

And if you have a specific saving goal (you need emergency savings at the very minimum), make sure you set that cash aside first before you fill your other budget envelopes. Hope this helps,
Old 05-09-2015, 07:29 PM
WAHM Regular

Default do I really need it?

If I'm shopping and I find something I like but had not planned to buy, I walk away.

If it's something I really want or need, I will go back a week later. Many times, it's not worth the hassle of going back. Or I find the same size and brand on a discount website like overstock.com. I do actually do what little new clothes shopping I do this way, I will try on at local stores, then if I find something I really love, I'll write down the size and brand, then buy later online at a discount.

But the cooling off period really works, I rarely go back unless it's really an important purchase.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:32 PM
WAHM Regular

Default make a list, carry cash, don't go through the middle isles

Exactly as above, make a list before you go, only carry enough cash to shop your list, and avoid the center of the store, especially places like Walmart or Target.

You can really go off budget easily, and a lot of those purchases are not really going to be quality purchases that last very long.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:39 PM
WAHM Regular

Default family clothing

If you have a family, sometimes it's very helpful to set aside clothing that is outgrown, but still in good condition. It can be hard to manage if there are a lot of children in the family.

I try to check dressers and closets every three months (with the change of the seasons) and pull out anything the wrong size, stained, or no longer used. I donate anything we will not use immediately, it cuts down on clutter. I separate clothing and shoes by size, and use those paper ream boxes to keep it sorted on a closet shelf, out of the way. I have extra boxes for school uniforms, sports uniforms, and costumes.

It does save us some money when we pull those boxes down and realize we don't need to purchase or obtain from freecycle additional outfits, and reusing sports uniforms and school uniforms can save a lot.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:58 AM
WAHM Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by valcreates View Post
I don't consider myself super frugal
My husband and I saved early on. I am not into pricey purses or expensive shoes.
I like books, tech stuff, art, doing nice things from my family.

Get rid of basic cable and cable TV
Netflix, DVDS, are all cheaper.

Dollar tree
Great place for perfume, cheap make up, and household goods. I only go to dollar tree every few months because I can over do it. I don't

Budget movie theaters. If you don't mind seeing it later these can be fun and cheap.

Make friends with your library
Great ideas

Tags
budget, cheap, zazzle