Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Registered WAHM

Well initially I loved 31, but I live in Puerto Rico and the shipping is 18% on top of 7% of sales tax... in my case although I love 31 products I have to think about the comp plan and the costumer since my goal in the future is to work the business full time. Im not sure the 18% for shipping (+$4, if is not the host) will be to atractive over here, makes me sad
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2014, 06:24 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisajean View Post
Any opinions? Should I sell what I am passionate about or what all my friends and family say they would buy? What if you have more people who want to host parties, but its with the product you don't have quite as much passion for? Thanks!
what YOU are passionate about. If you plan on running a successful business, you need to sell outside of your friends and family because selling to them only takes you so far
Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Registered WAHM

I know I can't count on family and friends to carry me through, but if they won't even help me start, that could be a problem.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM
WAHM Fanatic

My family and close friends are some of my worst customers. I did not worry about that because I knew to be successful I had to get outside of the friends and family circle anyway.

As for the shipping, I have found that everyone pays the same for shipping at some point - it is either built into your shipping cost or built into the cost of the product. Just did a comparison earlier today for a customer using a similar priced order and the shipping she paid. Shipping could be free but if you (and your customers) aren't into the product it isn't going to matter.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 AM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisajean View Post
I know I can't count on family and friends to carry me through, but if they won't even help me start, that could be a problem.
This is one reason that I always say do a debut show and don't ask your friends and family their opinion Because most of the time, they are not going to be encouraging.

This is what I did when I joined. I set a date for a debut and invited people. I sent out a full sized catalog with each invitation (we didn't have mini catalogs then!). I didn't ask their opinion, I simply invited them and showed them the products (or a sampling of the products). My family did not show up. I mailed about 40 catalogs (thank goodness for the Mini catalogs now!) and had about 6 friends show up. These were not my best friends. Most of them were "second tier" friends. Not my besties.

I sold $700 and got 3 bookings. Why? Because I loved the product, because I prepared and was ready to show them how to use the products (and thus build value and reason to make a purchase) and I gave them the opportunity to see the products in person. I can't tell you how many times I have heard from previous customers who had only purchased from the catalog in the past about how much different it was to see it in person. They can see the fabrics, the stitching, the size, the colors.

I say that it is best to ask the question of hosting after you have actually given them a chance to be excited about the product. This maximizes your chance that they will say yes.

In my experience, friends and family, just really aren't that encouraging when starting a new business. It isn't their business so I see no value in asking their opinion. They are either going to support you or they aren't. Your success is not determined by that. Yes, it might be easier if they help you get started but this is not an easy business. It is a simple business but if you want to make full time income, then it will not be easy. Even if you have a great product at a great price and work with a great company, you have to put in effort and be willing to overcome challenges. If you are not, then you will not succeed. Business will not come to you-especially at first. You have to go get it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. The rewards for your efforts are greatly rewarded in this business but it does take effort, persistence, and tenacity.

Make a decision to sell what you love and give it your best shot. Work with your sponsor to come up with a game plan that gives you your best shot at success.

I always remember that Thomas Edison tried over 1000 times to create the light bulb. Someone asked what made him keep going after failing so many times. He said he never thought of it as failure. He said he thought of it like "I have figured out another way it is not going to work". Now there is General Electric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thomas edison.JPG (46.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Leanne McGarr; 10-07-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Tags
origami owl, thirty one