Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:21 PM
WAHM Regular

Thumbs down Not To Sound Like A Whiny Wendy, But....

How am I supposed to get any experience if every one wants someone with experience? No one wants to give me a chance because "quick to catch on" and "learns quickly" are used so often that no one believes me when I use those phrases, and I really do learn quickly! GAAAAH!!

Rant over. Sorry. Back to obsessively staring at the screen and clicking for a few more hours. I kind of hope I can find an online job before one of the brick and mortar retail stores I applied to calls back....
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Grand WAHM

If you're looking for a work at home customer service position for example and need some customer service experience, getting a regular job locally may be helpful. For example, maybe you could work in a store or at a local call center. Once you have some experience working with people on a regular job, it will probably be easier to find a work at home job.

You can also keep looking for entry level type work at home jobs and play up any prior experience that you do have working with people.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:42 PM
WAHM Regular

I have had some customer service positions in the past. But they were waitressing and being a cashier. I also volunteered at an attorneys office when I was in high school. So I do have experience with people, just not online experience. And not 2-3 years worth!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:04 PM
WAHM Regular

You have a better chance at netting some experience when ramp season heats up for the holidays. Stores have such a massive need of agents that they will bend on the experience issue if other parts of your resume look good. They are temporary, but they can get you the experience needed for off-season job hunting. Another way to get some experience is temping. Temp agencies often have training computers where you can come in on your own time and level up your skill set by passing tests. The assignments will also help with the experience quotient you're looking for.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:57 PM
WAHM Regular

Awesome. Thank you for the awesome tips. =) I have only been here a short time and I already love the community here. I'll be sure to check with my local Agencies to see if they offer skill building classes/opportunities.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:02 AM
WAHM Master

Another thing you can do is do work on sites like Mturk and Odesk. They won't pay you much but it will ventilating you can add to your resume. A lot of work at home employers just want to make sure you understand what it means to work from home
Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 AM
WAHM Regular

I've been applying for Odesk jobs. I can't get my paypal verified though because it's under my husbands email and we have the same bank account.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:50 PM
WAHM Regular

I started working online by freelancing. Anyone remember the site rentacoder? I then used that experience to get my own clients. I supplemented my income by working at the "at home jobs" you see on this site. I was able to get on wherever I applied by the way I presented my experience. was eventually able to drop that and ramp up my own projects. This has been a work in progress for years and years.... 10 years to be exact.

Best of luck to you.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Super WAHM

Interning is a great way to get your foot in the door - you can learn the company's policies/procedures, etc and valuable skills - easy transition to employee or good resume-fodder. Anyone interested in interning for the non-profit corporation I run, send me a PM. No coffee runs, dry cleaning pickups, or other silly stuff like that, guaranteed. You can learn anything from SEO to webdesign to social media management or public relations - as much as you can handle, and are interested in.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCrissyHall View Post
How am I supposed to get any experience if every one wants someone with experience? No one wants to give me a chance because "quick to catch on" and "learns quickly" are used so often that no one believes me when I use those phrases, and I really do learn quickly! GAAAAH!!

Rant over. Sorry. Back to obsessively staring at the screen and clicking for a few more hours. I kind of hope I can find an online job before one of the brick and mortar retail stores I applied to calls back....
Intern? Creatively rewrite your resume or CV to show how your life experience correlates with the job?

Tags
no experience, rant