Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Telecommuting

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:00 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Ok. I think I see a pattern here, and it would explain why I was not contacted if I'm correct.

Those who got hired said they had an awesome cover letter, and their resume showed some experience.

I have experience, but I admit I didn't put together a cover letter for
this, more like a "here's my resume, contact me if you wish". Well, a
little better than that, but not much. It wasn't a formal cover letter.

I know in my case I've applied for so many WAH jobs over the internet,
and run into so many scams and things that don't pan out, that I might
have developed a bias, even subconscious, and I didn't take the care
applying for this that I would have for a "real" outside job.

It turns out, this is</span> a real
job, even though it is working from home, and is just as much, if not
more competitive. I should have taken it as seriously as any job
I'd get up and put on my navy blue suit and physically go to, to apply.

It's Google, </span>it's legit, and
the competition for this must be enormous. Are your resumes really
good? How about your cover letters? Are they the best they can be? I'm
just saying, take a look at what you're submitting before you keep
sending the same thing back in. Maybe it needs a little more work?

&lt;a href=\"http://www.inboxdollars.com/?r=kat1970\"&gt;&lt;img src=\"http://www.inboxdollars.com/graphics/creative/banners/120x60/banner_animated_120x60_03.gif\" border=\"0\" /&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annietn
Did you attach your resume or past it in the email? I never received an automated response and am trying to figure out what is going on.

I did both. I wrote a couple of sentences explaining my background and then pasted the text of my resume into the e-mail. I also attached it as a Wordpad doc.

Tightwad
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundgirl

Tightwad,

I saw that you said the jobs are contract jobs. What exactly does this mean? Thank you!!!

By contract jobs I mean that you aren't directly on the G payroll. You are employed by a contracting agency. Think of it as temping through a Manpower type agency. There is also a set termination date. You are told the job will last for a year, but I have heard people say they have been doing it for more than a year. I have also heard you can reapply a month after your contact ends. So, it is not permanent, officially. But still,very good money if even for just a year.

Tightwad
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Super WAHM

I did the same - oh well, waiting game I guess but an automated reply is just that - automated - no one has actually even seen your resume yet. Will just wait to see what happens - I can't keep sending them over and over I think that'll look bad on me. Good luck to everyone.

Rita
Old 06-23-2006, 10:26 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblefingers
Ok. I think I see a pattern here, and it would explain why I was not contacted if I'm correct.

Those who got hired said they had an awesome cover letter, and their resume showed some experience.

I have experience, but I admit I didn't put together a cover letter for this, more like a "here's my resume, contact me if you wish". Well, a little better than that, but not much. It wasn't a formal cover letter.

Nope. I certainly did not do any kind of formal cover letter. Just a straightforward 'this is what I currently do, this is what I have done in the past, I think my skills are a good fit.' Seriously, two sentences.

I never follow the standard letter or resume recommended formatting. I have worked in HR before and there is nothing worse than trying to dig out the details of a flowerly cover letter or resume. I am a bullet point kind of girl. I start off right at the top listing my skills, abilities, and experience then expand with work history, education, hobbies down at the bottom.

This seems to work pretty well because I have been offered every legitimate job I have applied for: ETS, Pearsons, G

Tightwad
Old 06-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via ICQ to kerrinne

They tell you during your orientation how long you can work for them - there is a set time with a required break in the middle. And no you cannot just reapply after your times with them are done and keep going. Once you're done, you're done. I was just in the orientation last night and took very good notes.

And everyone in my orientation last night was told we would have to test. I'm okay with tests though, especially ones I get paid for! I wish college would pay me for tests and term papers instead of the other way around. I mean, really, they get some of my best writings![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 03:10 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad

Nope. I certainly did not do any kind of formal cover letter. Just a straightforward 'this is what I currently do, this is what I have done in the past, I think my skills are a good fit.' Seriously, two sentences.

Likewise for me, Tightwad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad

I never follow the standard letter or resume recommended formatting. I have worked in HR before and there is nothing worse than trying to dig out the details of a flowerly cover letter or resume. I am a bullet point kind of girl. I start off right at the top listing my skills, abilities, and experience then expand with work history, education, hobbies down at the bottom.

I've heard this saidmany times before among HR "circles". That's why I adoptedthesame format as you use. Brevity is appreciated, apparently, and is my forte' when sendingout a resume'. I list my skills but steer clear of a "hard sell".

You've been very enlightening. Thanks for sharing this info with us. I hope you continue to enjoy the job. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2006, 11:56 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Well, thought you all would like a little Google laugh! Are we sure we want to work for Google?

http://www.blogmad.net/videos/view.php?vid=29

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

<!--
var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

Sym&#079;nLoad()
{
if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
SymReal&#079;nLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

Old 06-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Super WAHM

ETA...deleting just to be safeEdited by: hopefulWAHM
Old 06-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via ICQ to kerrinne

I am starting to wonder the same thing, hopeful. I am going to be out of town for the week of the fourth of July visiting my mother one of my few times per year to get to see her. So,I'd like some notice of when this "test" will take place.

In their "canned" emails to me though they told me not to contact them unless someone specifically requested I do so. SoI guess I just sit and wait and hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to schedule the test during a national holiday week when many people travel. [img]smileys/smiley24.gif[/img]

Closed Thread