Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Super WAHM

Even though I have no vested interest in this topic per say, I would like to point out that a pay decrease sure beats losing an egg in its entirety...with this economy perhaps there were difficult decisions that had to be made so that both the company and contractors could come out ahead instead of out of business completely?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 PM
WAHM Regular

It might be a double standard but it is still my opinion and this forum allows for us to express that. If it offended you I apologize for the offense but not my words.

If I didn't believe it I would not say it.

Now that being said if you don't like the way a company treats you then move on. Otherwise you allow for the punishment they inflict.

If you are an employee you have the right to strike. If you are a contractor you agree to the terms and if you don't agree then you leave and move on. Period.

Also, I will not watch what I say on an open forum for the worry of who will be reading my statement. I live in a free country and this forum is a free open forum. Again I am sorry that you felt offended by the statement but not the words. I believe as contractors we are worth more than a few cents a minute and a few dollars an hour. No I don't agree with what they have done with this company and others but if you stay I feel that you are saying that is what your worth is. There is always something else out there and that is what this forum is for....to help find that something better and the right fit for us. Double standard or not this issue comes done to what the contractor thinks they are worth and what they are willing to do to receive their worth per minute, hour, or year.

Last edited by cstmec; 02-01-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: To add statement
Old 02-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmec View Post
It might be a double standard but it is still my opinion and this forum allows for us to express that. If it offended you I apologize for the offense but not my words.

If I didn't believe it I would not say it.

Now that being said if you don't like the way a company treats you then move on. Otherwise you allow for the punishment they inflict.

If you are an employee you have the right to strike. If you are a contractor you agree to the terms and if you don't agree then you leave and move on. Period.

Also, I will not watch what I say on an open forum for the worry of who will be reading my statement. I live in a free country and this forum is a free open forum. Again I am sorry that you felt offended by the statement but not the words. I believe as contractors we are worth more than a few cents a minute and a few dollars an hour. No I don't agree with what they have done with this company and others but if you stay I feel that you are saying that is what your worth is. There is always something else out there and that is what this forum is for....to help find that something better and the right fit for us. Double standard or not this issue comes done to what the contractor thinks they are worth and what they are willing to do to receive their worth per minute, hour, or year.
This specific company does not hire employees, but independent contractors. Striking would be completely pointless, because there are many people that are willing to make that little bit of extra money. Jobs are not that readily available like they once were, which makes finding a work at home job just a little bit tougher due to 2 to 3x's the number of applicants for a handful of jobs. Yeah working for a few cents per message is not the greatest, but at least you have work and without a schedule. Many people do not have one and are struggling!

It's not just this company in general, but a lot of people gripe about certain jobs and pay instead of actually working and making some quick cash. Sometimes you do what you need to stay afloat. So before you and your coworkers decide to strike, think about it long and hard. Because in the end you are losing out on money and a possible reference for another non phone egg. Anyhow, sorry to hijack this post, but sometimes the cold hard truth has to come out.

Cstmec, I forgot to mention that employers do read these boards. You should watch what you say because that could ruin any chances of grabbing that "higher paying" egg in your basket!

Last edited by mommyof2tobe; 02-01-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Adding something in
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for the warning but I have been working from home and visiting this and other forums for years. I have the eggs in the baskets so to speak and I am not worried for one minute about someone deciding to read a post of mine on a forum, hunt me down, and tell me that I can't work for them due to something I said in a public freedom of speech environment. The companies I work for and the people I work for have better things to do than watch wahm.com to see what I'm saying. It's a practice that they find useless, repulsive, and a bit to "big brother."

But...this is not a thread about cstmec's right to freedom of speech or hurting someone's feelings. This is about a possible strike that may or may not be occurring with a company that may or may not be treating their contractors correctly. I've said my peace on that and if anyone from this point on would like to discuss my First Amendment rights on a public forum or their own they are more than welcome to PM me at anytime. I will not be responding to anything directed at my posts in this thread further. It has been hijacked enough by my comments.

For those wanting to strike against the company good luck to you. Just be sure of what your contract says completely before you strike because in the end they will use that contract either for or against you.

For those staying with the company I understand and can relate to why. You do what you have to do to put food on the table weather it's at $10 an hour or $4.

For those moving on from the company good luck to you. I know it's rough to find something out there and I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I'm sorry, since your very first post, I don't understand you anger and agression with this matter. Even when this post was in a more "passive" setting, when you started giving your opinion, the entire setting turned.

Though you have eggs in your basket, things and easily change for you at any time. Your eggs is not the ultimate source, it's something greater. That's why is important that we are grateful for the things we have and not what we believe we have obtained on our on strength.

Yes, you have freedom of speach, however, some things are true but not necessary appropiate. You are not very compassionate for others and how they precieve what you say and you are somewhat an arrogant person. Being humble and slow to anger is the best way to be. I can tell from the tone of your posts that you are a very angry person. I'm sorry, but it's really sad.

EDIT:: I request and I hope that this thread is deleted because it clearly has gotten out of hand and has not benefit anyone on this board. It's not a job lead or an income resource so it shouldn't be here any ways.

Last edited by SmartChic; 02-02-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 AM
WAHM Master

There is no reason to delete this thread - no personal attacks, no rule breaking - nothing off topic from "Job leads and discussions for those who work from home" - I remember fighting and debating to get this area of the forum

Saying workers are worth more than pennies per minute is not an insult - from where I sit neither is saying $1 is $1 in the United States and worth more in other countries
Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 AM
WAHM Regular

Well-said, TenXmom. Like many others I have been reading this forum for years, just not too big on posting. Overall, it's a great forum and part of what makes it great is the opportunity for discussion. Even if people do not agree. I read the thread and didn't find anything offensive. Just one person's honest opinion of the situation. I didn't think that was against forum rules.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 AM
WAHM Fanatic

In respect for people from other countries, some things are simply inappropiate is all I mean. I can get my point across about a contraversal issue without pointing out certain nationalities versus Americans. And to call someone "old school".. come on now.. you can't believe thats appropiate.

But I guess freedom to say whatever we want win.... I'm done with the subject, you guys can have it

EDIT:: oh and I forgot.. when making the statement about deletion, I got this board mixed up with another one. The other board don't allow "discussions" in the telecommute folder, they have a special folder for that..I got it mixed up.... my mistake.

Last edited by SmartChic; 02-02-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Awesome WAHM

Cool

I have been "old school" I have been working for home for about seven years now. During those seven years I have done jobs that were horrible with low pay and yet I trudged on with bad pay to feed my family. Does not hurt my feelings at all to hear someone say that because I knew it was true. If it was a job that I enjoyed and someone mentioned that the pay was deplorable that did not upset me one bit because I am an adult and I am going to make my own decisions as to what I choose to do to feed my family. I have great eggs in my basket now but it took time. Therefore I understand what he is saying here. I feel that he posted this with really good intentions. I dont personally think a strike is going to affect the company at all though. I have to agree with some of the posters here when I say that finding a new job is just the best bet. But I could definitely be wrong. Either way I send all of the love and blessings to all contractors of that company and for the ones who are dissatisfied I send the hopes that you find something better
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

On the contrary ACD Direct Hiring Manager, I think the anger and frustration is that the profits are soaring. There were some making $400 per week at one point (I'm guessing after VERY long hours) and are now making 30% less for the same amount of work, $120 less a week. It seems the last place a company should cut is the actual legs that holds it up. I see lots of people talking about the horrible quality of the work now. It seems that if any of these very low paying positions want to get and keep quality workers, then they should be rewarded for their hard work. If people are working for these 'pennies' then these pennies must be very important to them. So taking some away could really hurt.
For those that are still working, take your earnings at the end of the week and add 30% to see what others were earning for the same amount of work.
As far as a strike - the only one I ever did was a mail decoy job that refused to pay and I suddenly got a check. (o: