Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered WAHM

Default resume advice

i have seen alot of companties ask for resumer i do not have resumer at this time i need to do one. the problem is havent worked in about 15 yrs out of the home i would like to find a work from home kind of job i am not sure what to put in resume. i have a disability and when i did work out of the home they employers did know of the disability.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Tailor Resume According To Companies

Most importantly one should edit the resume according to the needs of each company. That is how it makes you fit better for the job
Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Registered WAHM

ya greta advice..
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Great Ideas

Great discussion people and one of the things to take note on is to have your resume within two pages. short and concise.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 AM
Registered WAHM

Avoid the first person pronoun
Keep your sentences short and don't worry about fragments
Use plain English
Use bullet statements when appropriate
Go from general to specific
Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 AM
WAHM Regular

Adjust your resume according to that company's needs. It helps tremendously and makes you more noticeable. Also be sure grammar and everything else is in order, you don't want to have a spelling mistake :P
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 AM
WAHM Regular

I have been out of work for a very long time (13+ years), and have a functional resume only. I'm not sure if a chronological resume, or the other format would be suitable for me due to the lack of employment, plus there are quite a lot of gaps in my employment history.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetlady View Post
I have been out of work for a very long time (13+ years), and have a functional resume only. I'm not sure if a chronological resume, or the other format would be suitable for me due to the lack of employment, plus there are quite a lot of gaps in my employment history.
Include any volunteer work you might have done - think about what you have done during those employment gaps and apply them into your resume. For examples:

I was the President of my daughter's gymnastic team booster club for over 11 years. With everything involved with that it was almost a full time job. Event planning for meets, interactions with the parents, budget meetings with the gymnastics director, volunteer coordinator, it was very diverse.

When my kids were really little I used to organize neighborhood playgroups. Again communication, organization skills etc can be applied to a resume. Not traditional but definitely creative.

It's not easy but doable. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM
WAHM Regular

Interesting read today from the book "Lean In" COO of Facebook. A 2011 study showed that men are more likely to be promoted on their potential and women are more likely to be promoted by their past achievements. Ladies show your potential and your achievements. Sell yourself on paper and in person. Have confidence and do not be afraid to ask for what you deserve.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Keep it short and sweet

When I interview new potential employees I like to read the resume that is short and to the point. I don't have a lot of free time to read lengthy resumes.

Closed Thread