Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:06 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Pad lock forum icons?

Something the Admin may want to consider.

The padlocked icons showing on every forum makes it look like all of the forums are closed for posting.

I would make a bet you're losing traffic and members posting because of the icons.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Administrator
WAHM Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
Something the Admin may want to consider.

The padlocked icons showing on every forum makes it look like all of the forums are closed for posting.

I would make a bet you're losing traffic and members posting because of the icons.
Padlocks simply mean you cannot post and is not something we can change as it is a basic part of vBulletin.

They should only appear to guests and to members whose usergroup is below the levels permitted for that forum.

If they are appearing to registered members whose permissions are high enough to be able to post there, then there might be a technical issue I can look into. If that is the case please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:07 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiNett View Post
Padlocks simply mean you cannot post and is not something we can change as it is a basic part of vBulletin.

They should only appear to guests and to members whose usergroup is below the levels permitted for that forum.

If they are appearing to registered members whose permissions are high enough to be able to post there, then there might be a technical issue I can look into. If that is the case please let me know.

Thanks!
I'm not certain I understand why I am seeing them, I am a long time member with a lot of posts.

If it is part of vBullentin and you can't change it, that's a shame. I hadn't came to this forum for quite a while and when I took a look, without logging in, I saw all of those padlocks and thought the forum was closed. Even when I log in I still see padlocks, not as many.

I'm just not sure if it would be a technical problem or just the version of vBullentin you are using.

Thanks for replying (:
Old 07-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Administrator
WAHM Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
I'm not certain I understand why I am seeing them, I am a long time member with a lot of posts.

If it is part of vBullentin and you can't change it, that's a shame. I hadn't came to this forum for quite a while and when I took a look, without logging in, I saw all of those padlocks and thought the forum was closed. Even when I log in I still see padlocks, not as many.

I'm just not sure if it would be a technical problem or just the version of vBullentin you are using.

Thanks for replying (:

Can you tell me which forums in particular are showing as locked?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Writely Applied

vBulletin puts a padlock on the category headings but all the subforums are available for posting.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:37 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiNett View Post
Can you tell me which forums in particular are showing as locked?
None of the members have commented so your active members must not feel this is a problem.

When not logged onto the forum all forums show a padlock icon which is locked.
I am sure you see this too.

I have let you know I think this kind of icon may be causing you to loose traffic and new members.
Just a heads up.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 AM
WAHM Regular

Well, yeah, of course if you're not logged in the forums are going to be locked. Allowing guest posting would be catastrophic for spam and advertising.

As for when you're logged in, there are the forums that are tied to your member group and then, as starbirdy66 mentioned, there are the forums where the parent forum is locked to posting but the sub-forum under it isn't.

If my knowledge of vBulletin is still valid, I believe that can be fixed by removing the lock option and instead making it so nobody's permissions allows them to post in the parent forum. However, that may not be the case in this version of the forum software.

Last edited by stumblewood; 07-29-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Administrator
WAHM Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblewood View Post
Well, yeah, of course if you're not logged in the forums are going to be locked. Allowing guest posting would be catastrophic for spam and advertising.

As for when you're logged in, there are the forums that are tied to your member group and then, as starbirdy66 mentioned, there are the forums where the parent forum is locked to posting but the sub-forum under it isn't.

If my knowledge of vBulletin is still valid, I believe that can be fixed by removing the lock option and instead making it so nobody's permissions allows them to post in the parent forum. However, that may not be the case in this version of the forum software.
This is a valid point!

Let me see what I can do.

Edit:

Is that better?

Last edited by BrandiNett; 07-30-2015 at 11:00 AM.