Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Super WAHM

Default Getting into RE

I live in CA. Have thought about getting into real estate but not really sure that this is a good time. If I did decide to go for my license, what is the best way to obtain it? A RE school, community college or just buy books and study for the exam? Most RE schools are online so no real classes to attend. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 AM
WAHM Regular

I have my license in WA state, but its on hold right now. I'd sign up with an online course - like Rockwell.com
There are others that are less expensive, so they might be a good choice too. Rockwell was very entertaining - and the subject can be a bit dry at times.

Online is the way to go. I don't know of anyone who attends a class anymore, and lots of places don't really offer them.

Find a few companies you like in your area & go in for an interview. Remember, they want you. Its like an opposite interview, you're looking to work for them! Sometimes they'll offer to pay for courses or part of your course. More importantly, you'll get some good support and find out what type of class is popular in your area. You'll also want a really good run down on the fees.

You'll have state license fees, national Realtor association dues, local dues, possibly a fee to join a franchise (like RE/Max), fees for your MLS, fees for the key system used, it just goes on & on. In WA there was a fee to take the exam, and one more to get your license. Then you pay these all again next month/year/2 years from now.

My license is on hold partly because I have 2 kids not in full-time school, and partly because our market here is so stagnant I wasn't making enough to justify keeping it. If I didn't have the kids & daycare I think I'd be fine, but I also know plenty of agents working part-time jobs on the side.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered WAHM

Hi I am a realtor in Arizona, from my experience it is best to go to real estate school most are taught by brokers or person that have a license. The real estate license test is no joke, it is not like a college course read the book than take the test. Real estate school is not that expensive here in Arizona but not sure in California. I know in my state to obtain a license you must have so many hours to get your license, but if you have a degree you can just go take the test. If you ever decide to get your license look me up I am on facebook. If you want example of what the exam is like google it there are many practice exams online.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
WAHM Addict

I agree with dbrooks. If this is your first time getting your license, sitting in a classroom is the way to go. You will have a 'human' to ask questions and clarify things and trust me there are things that will need claryfying. Best of luck to you
Old 08-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Awesome WAHM

I have been licensed for many years and I took an actual classroom class. I would recommend that you do it that way. The other posters are correct, it does help to have that instructor to explain things. Good luck to you. I have done well most years and I love Real Estate, but the last few years have been horrible!