Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM
WAHM Regular

Default How did you meet your spouse/partner?

People are always asking me how I met my husband. I think it's because we do make a great couple but we are total opposites. We have been married for 11 years now.

We met in a court-appointed traffic class. You know the classes you take after a speeding ticket to keep the points off your drivers license? It was like that except a judge said we both had to go. We ended up sitting beside each other during the class. He asked me out afterwards. The rest is history.

What is your story?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default (Super long)

My story is a little odd, but it's becoming more and more common, well part of it is at least lol.

I actually met my SO, while I was still with my ex... it's not as bad as it sounds, so please don't mark me off as a bad person.

I had been with my ex for a few years, purely because of our son - I was completely miserable and had never really been happy with him, or intended to spend my life with him, but I felt like I had to because we had a child. He had talked me into playing an MMORPG with him that I wasn't even interested in, but it was a distraction and provided something to do since he was unemployed and my paycheck didn't supply enough money for a family of 3 to live on and go out with.

We actually both met my current SO while playing this game, and would sit and chit chat with him and others over Ventrilo. There was never anything between us though, we barely knew each other outside of the game's context. Our conversations all revolved around video games and the other people who played the game.

Eventually, I got tired of living a miserable life and I realized that staying with my ex was not doing our son any good. If anything it was just going to give him a skewed vision of what relationships should be like.

His father and I got into an argument one day, and he said "maybe I should just leave" - and I didn't protest. He was awestruck and that was the day we split up.

Later that night, after a lot vomiting and panic-ing and crying (not because I was upset, just because I was scared that I was now officially on my own even though I'd been the sole financial supporter of the family for quite sometime) I got on vent and the MMORPG that we had played to break the news to everyone that we had split up, and to let them know how to contact him if they wanted to.

The man who is now my SO wasn't even online at the time because he was at work. He logged on later and found out what had happened... he'd always been a very soothing person to talk to and so we chatted for a while over vent and things blossomed from there.

Now over 2.5 years later, we're living together and sharing our lives. He's been amazing and has supported the 3 of us alone for a little over a year, and has been incredible. He and my 4yo get along wonderfully, and those who meet us and don't know our story never doubt for a moment that the 4yo isn't his.

It's wonderful. A strange story overall, but I really think meeting on the internet is happening a lot now, just typically not when one person is already with someone else lol
Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 PM
WAHM Regular

I met my hubby while I was out shopping with my mother.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Registered WAHM

My fiance', Scott & I met at a wedding a year and 1/2 ago. He was the caterer and I was the photographer. We are getting married in May of next year.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:24 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernsurrender View Post
My story is a little odd, but it's becoming more and more common, well part of it is at least lol.

I actually met my SO, while I was still with my ex... it's not as bad as it sounds, so please don't mark me off as a bad person.

I had been with my ex for a few years, purely because of our son - I was completely miserable and had never really been happy with him, or intended to spend my life with him, but I felt like I had to because we had a child. He had talked me into playing an MMORPG with him that I wasn't even interested in, but it was a distraction and provided something to do since he was unemployed and my paycheck didn't supply enough money for a family of 3 to live on and go out with.

We actually both met my current SO while playing this game, and would sit and chit chat with him and others over Ventrilo. There was never anything between us though, we barely knew each other outside of the game's context. Our conversations all revolved around video games and the other people who played the game.

Eventually, I got tired of living a miserable life and I realized that staying with my ex was not doing our son any good. If anything it was just going to give him a skewed vision of what relationships should be like.

His father and I got into an argument one day, and he said "maybe I should just leave" - and I didn't protest. He was awestruck and that was the day we split up.

Later that night, after a lot vomiting and panic-ing and crying (not because I was upset, just because I was scared that I was now officially on my own even though I'd been the sole financial supporter of the family for quite sometime) I got on vent and the MMORPG that we had played to break the news to everyone that we had split up, and to let them know how to contact him if they wanted to.

The man who is now my SO wasn't even online at the time because he was at work. He logged on later and found out what had happened... he'd always been a very soothing person to talk to and so we chatted for a while over vent and things blossomed from there.

Now over 2.5 years later, we're living together and sharing our lives. He's been amazing and has supported the 3 of us alone for a little over a year, and has been incredible. He and my 4yo get along wonderfully, and those who meet us and don't know our story never doubt for a moment that the 4yo isn't his.

It's wonderful. A strange story overall, but I really think meeting on the internet is happening a lot now, just typically not when one person is already with someone else lol
Thank goodness I'm not the only weirdo here!!!

My story is a little similar to yours...

After my daughters father broke up with me I kind of went on oh I'd say about 10 bad dates over the course of a year and finally I met a guy who I thought was a total sweetheart and basically jumped at the opportunity. I dated him for almost a year when he announced that he was moving to California (we lived in Texas) to take a job, but wanted to keep dating me. We tried it and after about a month it became pretty obvious to me that it wasn't going to work out.

So... I kept my options open and at the time was also playing an MMO and started talking to a guy who I later realized was from a town over where I graduated from. We even knew some of the same people it was crazy! He pushed to meet me, I denied.. he pushed more... I denied more! After a couple of months I realized the attraction the both of us had for each other and finally made the call to the so-called guy who was living 2000 miles away and told him it was over. Yes I feel bad about it, but it worked out for the best for both of us. (he's not happily married to another woman now!)

He begged and we chatted and finally I agreed to meet this mystery man (although he wasn't THAT much of a mystery, after all we had chatted via webcam at that point every single night before bed). He mentioned he was going to be in town (he was at the time in the Air Force stationed 3 hrs from me) and that he wanted to take me to dinner and a concert. I finally agreed and well... 3 years later we're happily married <3

During my crappy year of dating after my daughters father left us I read the book "He's just not that into you" and as most of you have heard of the movie, let me tell ya that book is full of good stuff! Every time he begged to meet me and was so upfront with his feelings about me it always made me think of that book. I tell him we're only together, because he never gave up!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:12 PM
WAHM Regular

Default at a party

I met my husband when I was only 18 - we've been together 13 years. I had just broke up with a guy for cheating and was at this party but not in the partying mood. So I was just wanting to get away from everyone/everything and went to the top of the steps where no one was around. Out of nowhere, a guy who I had never mutually gotten along with (we both didn't like each other much), came and sat next to me and asked me what was wrong. And it just evolved from there and the rest is history.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Match

I met my husband on Match.com! I was a single mom of a yr old little boy, and I have always had this rule that I do not date guys I meet at bars, not to mention that being a single mom, I did not have much extra money for bars! I was working 16 hrs a day, didnt go to church and wasnt in college at the time, so I had no time for a social life, bc all my extra time was spent with my son.
I figured the internet was the best way for anything to happen bc I could "weed out the losers" and it worked! I could stay as anonymous as I needed to living alone and all, but I was still able to screen people for later meetings in public places, etc.
We have been married coming up on 4 years now!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:01 AM
WAHM Regular

Our sisters were friends and when my sister moved away, Mike and I started to get to know each other and when my sister heard about it she was shocked! We are total opposites but it works for us we have been married 7 years and have two kids.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Awesome WAHM

All great stories with good outcomes

Plus, I'm always glad to hear other stories about folks meeting online, makes me feel better lol!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Super WAHM

I meet my husband in high school.. From there on out, we stayed together, got married and now have 2 beautiful kids.