Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Aerial Photography (AP)

Does anybody have any hands on with this here? I am looking to get into it and I know there are several ways.

Poles - cheap and can get you up in the air quickly. Just afraid of sway in the wind, if my camera falls to ground etc. I know I can pick up a cheap Sony NEX that would do the job and be lighter then my DSLR rig.

kites - can be even cheaper then the pole but you have to have wind.

Drones - I am leaning more towards this. I have flown rc helis in the past, have a small quad copter I am learning on right now. It is much more expensive, but allows you to go higher under 400 ft. Biggest issue is the FAA says you cannot use this for commercial use right now, only for personal use. Should be a law coming into effect but may not be ready till 2015 for commercial use. Learning now and having equipment can put some ahead of the group for this and may become lucrative for photographers/video if you have the experience. Much cheaper though to chartering a helicpoter for aerial shots of propertys.

Let's discuss, ideas, tips, other methods, open to all
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Awesome WAHM

So I picked up a small quadcopter/drone. There is nothing automated about it I have to fly it and be in control of it at all times. I have been flying in my backyard so I can get a feel for things and be ready for something larger.

As I learn to fly this thing I start digging up more info about drones on the internet. I can see this is something I (and others if they decide to do) will need to follow along with. There is of course all the people afraid of privacy and drones buzzing their neighborhoods and houses. I see their concern and there will be people who abuse the technology just like everything else.

However, anyone can go to google maps or earth and zoom in on your house. It might be outdated a little but it gives them an idea of the layout and things like that. You can be walking down the street and people taking photos or videos of you from their phones. Heck you can buy a pair of glasses or buttons that have cameras in them. No one owns the airspace, just regulated by the FAA

Privacy is pretty much already gone, except for in your home. So I can see the concern there. However the police have been using infrared and FLIR technology from helicopters as well as video in the day. As with anything new there will be resistance to it.

Yes I do have concern for military drones, but for photographers who want an elevated shot of a residence or maybe aerial shot of the mountain range for a new perspective. Or up and coming film builds who want to copy the animal planet style planet earth (they used cable cams and drones for some shots). This is are only option except for high dollar plane charters.

I can only imagine the regulations, possible license, insurance, etc. that you will need to operate them commericially. I have clients that I miss out on due to them need elevated shots for acreage. And I cannot compete with pilots who offer this for dirt cheap. I know there will be insurance to carry and pay as if you crash and damage property or a person, then you need to be covered.

Starting to wonder if this will really be worth it...
Old 10-10-2013, 10:58 PM
WAHM Addict

That is really interesting Tommy. I have absolutely no experience or ideas for you. I do love the idea though. Real Estate agents use aerial photography a lot out here. Mostly when selling farms with 40 acres or more. There used to be a guy who would go door to door asking if you wanted an aerial shot of your property. He did it all from a plane. My husband has his pilots license, although I am sure he would need some additional flight hours to do this, but I could never do it. It would scare the beejeezus outta me. I would love to have an aerial shot of our place though. I think it would be amazing to see how our 7 acres are laid out.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Banned

Yeah, I think the big thing with this is whatever regulations, licensing and such that end up being put in place for commercial drone use.

Have thought about drones for this use before, and it could sure work well for that. One will just to wait and see what hurdles are put in place.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Awesome WAHM

Ya Lorah it would be much cheaper to use one of these drones/quadcopters for use like this and much cheaper. Even with a pilot license your husband will still have to charter or rent the plane plus gas for the flight. He would not have the expense of having to hire a pilot at an hourly wage. All that can really ad up though. You have lots of land would be really nice practice area.

Agreed Andrew I am sure there will be a lot of hurdles to jump through to do it commercially. I am going to follow things closely and try to be on the forefront of this. I think it could be a great business venture and to start getting word out of the possibility for this. Generate buzz so once it becomes legal people are ready to hire. Or have the skills in hand for local video production as well as maybe bigger things.

Even without using it for commercial I know movies are using them as safer alternatives to helicopters for some shots. But b/c it's illegal there has been a slow down/halt to using them for film production.

I just think it would be really interesting to say for a home thats for sale. Lets say its a few blocks from the beach. Well you can put that in the description or how much better to market that home with a video. The video starts about eye level facing the house, then you rise up about 75 ft or so and pan around showing the ocean 3 blocks away, plus maybe a nearby park or school. You then start to bring it down and fade to black, then with a handheld stabilized rig you fade into walking through the door. Followed by a fly through tour of the home.

Sure for less expensive homes it wont be used as much but even a 2 story high home benefits from elevated photographs.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyH View Post
Sure for less expensive homes it wont be used as much but even a 2 story high home benefits from elevated photographs.

I would say even single stories can if you want to show the neighborhood, good way to show the houses relation to others. Though one could typically just use Google Maps for this.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 PM
WAHM Addict

It really sounds like you're onto something Tommy! Keep us posted. I am interested to see how this will unfold!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewW View Post
I would say even single stories can if you want to show the neighborhood, good way to show the houses relation to others. Though one could typically just use Google Maps for this.
Yes I think single stories will show well in video especially if they are close to something like a park, great school, or maybe like a shopping center with restaurants and shops within walking or biking distance.

The only downfall I see with using Google Maps, would be it's only an overhead shot or streetview. I think maybe a horizon pan at about 50-75ft up would be an interesting and untapped view.

It might just happen that once it does become legal people that have been flying for fun might make the jump and try to make a business model out of it.

This is what I am using right now to sharpen my flying skills. I have a small low quality camera I might try to attach this weekend to get some video. I have ordered some things to build my larger one as well. I hope to get it up and running by first of the year. It is very addicting I run at least 2 batteries every day through this thing.

BLADE BLADE mQX BNF (BLH7580) | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyH View Post
This is what I am using right now to sharpen my flying skills. I have a small low quality camera I might try to attach this weekend to get some video. I have ordered some things to build my larger one as well. I hope to get it up and running by first of the year. It is very addicting I run at least 2 batteries every day through this thing.
Having fun is good.

let us know how things go.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Banned

Thought this might be relevant:

Drones! Learn how you too can be shut down by the federal government