Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:24 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Frustrated...

So I just came back to direct sales after a long hiatus. I have checked in here from time to time, and on and off have been doing research about the opportunities of different companies. My hiatus from ds came from my not wanting to try and fail at one more company. I have done Avon, Tastefully Simple, Thirty one, Guy and Eva, and wow, I think that's it. Now that I'm a sahm, I decided that I wanted to give it another go. After a lot of research and thought, I decided to sign up with Wildtree. I have used their products for years, and already spend enough on products for personal use to make it not a risk finacially. I have worked as a personal trainer and yoga teacher, so the company's mission of all natural, healthy food speaks to me. I love the concept of freezer meal workshops, and teaching people to plan and create healthy meals. Here's where I am frustrated. My warm market has always been dead in the water. My friends and family don't like to go to parties, host parties, or even hear about the company. I'm not one to post incessantly on facebook, or constantly talk everyone to death about it. I send out an invitation, or briefly mention it, and nothing shuts people down faster then mention of a direct sales co. I don't get it. If I opened a brick and mortar, and held a grand opening, it would be viewed as a legitimate business venture. A ds company seems to be viewed as "just another pyramid scheme". The funny thing is, I like to go to parties. I have one friend who is with a ds company, and has hosted parties for other companies and I always go.
Is it possible to do this without a warm market? If you don't have a viable warm market are you just not destined to succeed in this industry? Has anyone been successful without having anyone they know bw willing to host a party? If I am not successful here, I think its the end of the line for me. Wildtree meets all my criteria for what I am looking for in a company, plus I am passionate about the product. If I can't make that work, then I just don't know! Sorry for the long post. Just really wanted to see what others have to say about this.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2015, 02:17 PM
WAHM Veteran

I've been in DS 26 years and I have never once used my warm market to buy, host or join. I've always worked my business starting with the cold market. It's been a wonderful benefit to me because I never had a false sense of ease, job security, or skewed ideas of dependable customers or hosts. It's like how some people can speak in front of a group of 3,000 people no problem, but put in a small group or one on one market and it can be much more difficult. I've always kept friends and business separate. I never wanted to be in the NFL (No Friends/Family Left)

I've always treated my DS as 'real business' by not asking my family and friends to help me out or to participate which has helped them to consider me a 'real business' because I run it like a brick and mortar or service professional.

So to answer you question can you be successful using a cold market - absolutely. I've done it for going on 3 decades, I'm a single mom and sole provider and at the top rank of my company.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:48 PM
WAHM Regular

That is really comforting to hear! What would your advice be to someone just starting out? I have been thinking of asking gyms and yoga studios if they'd host freezer meal workshops for their members, since the product falls under the healthy category.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:14 PM
WAHM Veteran

Set a daily goal how many No's you're going to get. Try to get to 100 No's as quickly as possible because in the midst of some of those No's you'll hear some Yeses. If your goal is to get Nos, then mentally you won't be disheartened, frustrated or take it personally when someone says No thank you. If you're not getting many Nos you're not asking enough people. They're saying no for now, or no to the opportunity currently, they're not saying no to you and not no forever. If they say no, ask for referrals of anyone they can think of who may be interested or ask if you can follow up again in a few months to see if their situation changed.

If you feel yourself getting frustrated and starting to fill with self doubt, watch The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith - particularly as he continues to try to sell his medical machines door to door and then again as he's making his way up the call sheet at the financial institution. He refuses to let Nos get his down. He uses it to drive his further.

Make sure you're not asking anyone to do you a favor. You're here to service them, to make their life better (tastier, healthier). If you start playing the favor chip (have a party for me, or my director challenged me to sell or I'm close to winning a trip, etc.) no one cares. You're here for them, just keep telling yourself that. They're not here to help you meet your goals. If you stay focused on helping and not on selling, you'll end up doing both.

Last edited by LAscents; 05-21-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:31 PM
WAHM Regular

Great advice, thanks! I'm so used to being afraid of getting no's. Making a goal of getting them is an interesting new way to think!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Awesome WAHM

It is very common to hear women in business who feel the same way you do. It is frustrating. I've accepted friends not being over enthusiastic or supportive, but what still is hard is when I'm interested in their lives and ask about their work and other interests and they don't even ask about my business. Or they like and share other pages left and right, but don't do the same for me. Support to me isn't about spending money with me although that would be nice. They have no problem spending it elsewhere. If only they would ask how things are going. How hard is that? Funny how those same friends expect you to support what they do. Yeah...it's a rotten feeling. Definitely and sadly don't depend on your friends to make it happen.

All the best with your Wildtree business. .seek out people that are interested in a healthy lifestyle..and for family and friends. Just bring the tastiest dishes to events..
Old 05-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Awesome WAHM

Samarie, I've heard good things about your grape oil, and I believe I read there are no preservatives in your product. Could you message me your link? I'd like to check it out.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:48 AM
WAHM Fanatic

The garlic infused Grapeseed oil is the best! Love cooking with it! It is great for high heat cooking since you shouldn't use olive oil for high heat.

And BTW, I totally know what you mean about warm markets. I like Laurie's ideas of just going at cold! Good luck. I like Wildtree a lot!

Last edited by cabimom; 05-25-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:12 PM
WAHM Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAscents View Post
I've been in DS 26 years and I have never once used my warm market to buy, host or join.
That is incredible! It really is !!!

Quote:
I've always kept friends and business separate. I never wanted to be in the NFL (No Friends/Family Left)
I've never bugged or "chased" anyone in my warm market hence I have never been in the NFL club and many have hosted parties for me.
I share. I don't push and I have always been "professional" I never beg.
I cannot help but share my passion with those I love and care about most. That's just me.
They may not want to build a business but they loved the high quality products at great prices, and of course my stellar, personalized customer service to keep them happy!

Quote:
So to answer you question can you be successful using a cold market - absolutely. I've done it for going on 3 decades, I'm a single mom and sole provider and at the top rank of my company.
Again that is incredible and I am sure VERY helpful to the poster of this thread.
It is to me as well. We only know so many people in our warm market. The cold market is unlimited!

I applaud your SUCCESS! Especially as a single Mother!
Thanks so much for posting!

Last edited by DeborahDeGrande; 05-25-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:15 PM
WAHM Addict

I just liked your Facebook page too LAscents.