Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Do you see people with the product frequently in your town? Have you been invited to lots of parties by your friends and acquaintances? Does the product have a lot of local name brand recognition?

I found my company when I was on a business trip to another state. I went to home parties all the time but had never been invited to one, had never met a rep at a vendor fair, and had never met someone who told me they worked this business. So color me surprised when, once I signed up, I found out that I lived in an area with quite a few very successful and active reps! Clearly, there was still an opportunity for me to work my business because -I- had never heard of Silpada, my friends hadn't hosted parties, and I had not come across women working the business.

At this point, despite being a 15-year old company that many people in the direct sales business know, 7 out of 10 people have not heard of Silpada, which gives me an opportunity to be the one to introduce them to my company. So while it's important to think about whether your network has a rep for the company you are considering, I wouldn't worry so much about saturation in a particular area.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Saturation vs need

I agree with the prior postings that what your focus should be is -- how many active reps there are working the business (which can also be a plus!) and what your product is.
Some product lines have a very specific niche, vs a product line that has a broader appeal.

After decades in DS, this is my thought.
Do your research, ask questions, interview sponsors.
Then....
As you consider potential companies... don't analyze it to death, don't overthink it. Don't wait for the perfect company with the perfect product at the perfect time... it won't ever happen.
Most companies have a great kit for a modest price,
Find a product you personally love, would find easy to share with everyone, that has the best potential broad appeal so that your customer base grows quickly and easily.
Also one whose compensation plan meets your needs both now and in the future.
If you get lost in the process, you'll miss out on the income you could be earning, the business you could be growing.

And worst case scenario... you find it is not the perfect fit for you. By that time you will have earned back the cost of the kit and made some new connections.
My guess is that most in DS reps have tried and explored more than one company, then found the fit for them.

Best wishes...SOON! ==)))))))))))
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Super WAHM

I think Lynn really made some great points, especially the part about not over analyzing it!

If you're really concerned, it wouldn't hurt to ask about the number of active consultants in your area, but I think if you truly LOVE the product your enthusiasm will be enough to keep you motivated and working your business regardless of how many people are in your area. Good luck with your search!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Super WAHM

I don't know how you would really find out how many "active" Consultants in your area. I know with Thirty-One, we have a map that lists all the Consultants by state, BUT, like mentioned before, active Consultants is a whole different story. However, I can tell you that for Thirty-One, there are very few Consultants in the midwest states, compared to population, which opens the door for a great opportunity for you
Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
WAHM Master

Thirty One just had a great training on this based upon Statistics given by the Direct Sales Association. It was very eye opening.

Saturation as defined for Direct Sales is when 10% of the people in that area are selling the same product. So in a town of 10k, 1,000 people would have to be selling your same product. There are over 800,000 Avon reps in the United States. Do you have an Avon book at your home or work right now? Why not, surely with that many reps, the US is saturated. Of course not. Because as been stated above, they aren't all really out there working their business. Anyone can sign up for a Consultant ID but usually only about 1 in 5 are actually working their business. The number of consultants does not mean a thing.

The training went on to say that there are two types of groups that like to use the word Saturation.

Those that are trying to sell their brand new opportunity to you by saying Ground Floor, be the first in your area and those that want to use it as an excuse as to why they aren't successful.

The truth is most Ground Floor opportunities fail. On t his board, how many companies that seemed to be the new "IT" company are now kaput and gone leaving these ground floor consultants behind in their wake of wondering what happened. There is a very delicate balance of growth, capital, and management that makes a Direct Sales company work. Being the first in your area has nothing to do with your success. Choices and your daily activity makes or breaks your success. Go with a company that is established and be the BEST consultant there is out there. Build your reputation as knowledgeable and customer service oriented. You will build a business and a good reputation.

There is no easy way to success. If there was, we would all be there. Being successful in Direct Sales (or any business!) requires setting priorities and goals, working a daily action plan, and learning and honing your craft.

I tell my team it is like Survivor. Outwit, Outplay, Outlast. Lots of consultants will dip their toe in to give it a try and when they realize business doesn't come to them easily, they leave. The ones who make it to success are the ones who stick around through the highs and lows and persevere.

Find a company and a product you truly believe in, that you can get up in front of your friends and say without question-You should look at this. When you have that strength of belief and the perseverance and consistent work, you will be successful.

Hope this helps.
Leanne

Last edited by Leanne McGarr; 03-14-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
WAHM Regular

Hi , That is one of the first questions I had asked my direct sales company! When looking into a company they will answer any questions you have if they don't I would beware! I am with a new company that just launched in February so it would not be a concern for you in any state that you are in!

Jan
Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Super WAHM

Amazing info in this thread!

And LeAnne McGarr!

WOW! Thank you so much for sharing your insight on this. I love it!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 PM
WAHM Regular

Thank you for all the replys. I agree great information. I have no choice but to wait to join because I don't have the money for whatever company I choose to go with. I just found out someone local is a rep for 2 companies. I was doing some inquiries on a local swap page and she responded that she doesn't promote them but she is a rep for them and wouldn't mind if I wanted to do one of the companies. I really was considering the company she doesn't want me to do. This is a very small town. Now I don't know if I choose to sign up do I sign up under her so that she won't be as upset with me or just do my own thing and sign up with who I wish?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 PM
WAHM Regular

Well, you need to sign with someone who is going to be able to support you! If she is not actively working her business, she should have no reason to be upset! Best of luck to you!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcbhs View Post
Well, you need to sign with someone who is going to be able to support you! If she is not actively working her business, she should have no reason to be upset! Best of luck to you!
I agree with this!