Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 AM
WAHM Master

Default What do you think of this practice?

I am reading and have read lots of posts about putting your info into kid's bags when they come to trick or treat. My initial reaction to it is that it doesn't sit well with me. I guess I feel that this is one of those practices that gives direct sales/party plan a bad name. It doesn't seem appropriate. Like I said, this is just my initial reaction but I don't have children. So for you mothers out there, what would you think if you were going through your kids' candy and there was marketing materials included in there with the candy? Would it offend you, would you be excited about it, would you take a look or take it seriously?

Also, for those that have done this, has it ever actually brought you any sales or new business?

I am open to hearing ideas. I have had my mind changed before !

Thanks
Leanne
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Banned

It depends on what is it. If it were a pencil with the company name on it with a piece of candy, it would be fine. But if a child can not use it (ie. business card, "coupon", etc), I think it would be in poor taste.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM
WAHM Regular

As a mom, I really wouldn't care, but I also probably wouldn't pay attention to the 'ad'.

As a marketing tool, it has never been an option for me (since we have no trick or treaters where I live...), but I've heard from others that there was no response from it.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Super WAHM

When my boys still trick or treated, they were given a bag of candy and a "treat" for mom offering some service. The "treat" went right into the trash.

Last edited by wahinmyjammies; 09-16-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:41 AM
WAHM Addict

While on the surface it seems like a great idea, unless there isn't a treat for a kids attached or the primary reason, nowadays I think the practice is tacky. Depending how far reaching (how far parents will drive) the kids' trick or treating goes, you may end up with such a small percentage that will keep your message AND contact you (therein is the problem - the whole thing about booking & recruiting is in the follow up - how do you follow up with an unknown person). Most folks aren't motivated enough to contact you - that's why we are always hearing 'follow up, follow up, follow up'. And like wahinjammies stated, most will toss whatever is a non-treat. Unless you can convey a solution to an existing problem, you won't grab 90% (my assumption - not a scientific % calculation) of the recipients.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Grand WAHM

The only way I would do something like that would be if you had a product sample specifically for the parent - handing it TO the parent. Kids want the good stuff - Halloween is for the kids!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Talking Do what you have to.

Heaven's no. It's the same as my kids coming home from school with an Avon book, or something that one of his friends moms are selling. I see it as long as it's not anything Bad that your selling do what you got to do to promote what your selling. People do this kind of stuff all the time and to me it works great because I usally buy whatever it is they are selling. (If I can use it or need it). As for me my kids don't go trick or treating by them selfs anyway so I always know what comes from where and what gets put into their bag. So hun the way I see it if you want people around your area to know what your selling do what you have to do to sell it...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:15 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Kids Time

In my opnion I think giving something attached to candy in a kids trick or treat back is inappropriate.

Now if your giving out a small toy with your name painted on it is ok.

But the candy stapled with a little coupon is not right. Halloween is for the kids when I take them door to door I am wanting them too get things not advertisements.

Have a Halloween party and you can hand things to the adults.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Awesome WAHM

I think that if the parents are with the kid, you could hand candy to the kids and a sample to the parents. I have never done it but for example- I sell candy- if I were to do it, I would give the kids their own candy and maybe a small sample of mine wrapped nice with a business card to the parents. Or if you selll candles, maybe a scent sample...

If it just came home in the bag, I would check it out. For example, their have been occasions that I have been looking for a new AVON book- if one came home to me in a bag they would probably get business. I don't understand (unless you sold or didnt use the product) why someone would not look at what you sent home- isnt that how we discover new things we like??

In life, we get marketed to in all different ways- we may not buy right then but might remember when we need it. Or maybe it came at the right time.

With that said, I dont know if I think it would be huge returns or anything. Good Luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:50 PM
WAHM Addict

I wouldn't put something in the kids bag, but putting out a yard sign with the business name might not be a bad idea. That way you're saying I'm here and I sell... so the parents know about you.