Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Chinese Seek Online Oral Engish Tutors

Native speaker a must, caucasian preferred
good manners with patience
Tefl/Tesol preferred but not essential
about 12~20 hours a week for choice
well paid in USD20~25/per hour according to ability
More detailsin sudenglishDOTorg
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered WAHM

I was wondering if anyone has worked for this company or does anyone have any information about them. My wife and I are both teachers and are in the process thinking about a family. I would like to keep her home, but will need some extra income. We are starting to do our homework about different online job opportunities and this job seems to pay very well compared to other job opportunities we have found. Any information about this company would be great.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJE View Post
I was wondering if anyone has worked for this company or does anyone have any information about them. My wife and I are both teachers and are in the process thinking about a family. I would like to keep her home, but will need some extra income. We are starting to do our homework about different online job opportunities and this job seems to pay very well compared to other job opportunities we have found. Any information about this company would be great.
I am also wondering about this company. I am always suspicous of such high pay, but it could be legit.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudenglish View Post
Native speaker a must, caucasian preferred
good manners with patience
Tefl/Tesol preferred but not essential
about 12~20 hours a week for choice
well paid in USD20~25/per hour according to ability
More detailsin sudenglishDOTorg
I read this forum occasionally (just the Online Tutor stuff).

After reading the OP's message, I felt inclined to reply.
Caucasian preferred? That seems a tiny bit racist? I know that in China it's popular to just randomly hire white people for legitimacy (there is a great New York Times article about this).

I feel personally insulted by this. Do non-caucasians have poor english? I know that it is a problem in China that many of their English instructors have thick accents and subsequently, the students do as well, but to be so open and just state that a certain ethnic group is preferred? I am of Chinese ethnicity, but if you spoke with me you would hear slight accent. That accent, however, is not a Chinese accent; it is a slight British accent, even though I'm an American. I won't deny that my English is imperfect, but have you ever stepped back and looked at the English ability of the average American? It's not good. I don't know a lick of Chinese, but I'm near fluent in Hebrew, French, and German.

I spent almost my entire life in America. The only time I was out of the US for an extended period of time was when I studied at University College London for a few years, getting my MSc in advanced high energy physics.

Maybe this website should be offering to teach mainland Chinese people about western manners instead.

EDIT:
Have you looked at their website? It's filled with grammar errors.

Last edited by Johnp; 04-27-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered WAHM

I agree with the above poster. I applied just to see. They emailed me (in broken, grammatical English) that they wanted me to take their language test. The test was was included within the email and I could barley read it. Many words on the test were blocked with weird symbols. I emailed them about this, and I have yet to hear back. I would stay away from this one. They are poorly organized and very unprofessional IMO.

Last edited by ESLTeacher; 04-27-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: misplaced word

Tags
english, job, teach, tutor, work