Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Excited (yet discouraged) Newbie LOL!

So I just recently had a baby and just became a advisor this November. I was so excited to get started and had 3 parties lined up. My first one went well, over $500 in sales. But my last two were duds One I only had $200 in sales, and the other around $350, at each show only 3 guests showed up! I know this is a busy time of year, but I was really hoping for a strong start with several bookings. I only got 1 (maybe 2) bookings from both shows and have nothing lined up until the end of January. Although I do have 3 parties for February already. I'm just bummed b/c I don't think I'm going to make my first Excellent Beginnings goal. I am hosting an open house party this weekend so I am praying that I get a decent turnout and a few more bookings! Pleeeeease wish me luck!

I know this business has it's ups and downs, but I sure didn't want to start on a down! lol
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
WAHM Fanatic

While it is discouraging to not reach each level of the Excellent Beginnings -- I hope your open house helps you reach that goal! A note - did you include your starter show sales as part of the first 3 show and $1500 in sales. It looks like your really close.

Anyway -- I would not consider 1 show in Jan and 3 in Feb a bad start. This is a very difficult time of year for shows. I've been doing this with LS for 3 years. I started in Nov 06 and yes it started slow. Nov is usually pretty good, Dec slow and Jan slow too. Feb and new catalog help us kick it back up. Read the Facets - it has some great tips and ideas to add show in Jan. Try to get a few more Jan. bookings but if not, work with the 4 shows you do have lined up and keep in REALLY good contact with each hostess. Send them a few notes every couple of weeks about how excited you are and the specials. Keep them excited too.

Have a great open house! Have you called everyone you invited? We ask our hostesses to do that so we should too!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
WAHM Regular

Good luck!!! I wish that I had some of this knowledge when I did my first few shows in October, but here's what I've learned:

When you're doing your presentation and talking about bookings (and then when scheduling their show) make sure to stress to the potential hostesses that they have to hold their show within 6 weeks of the show you're at. I really wish I had known to do this at my first party.....I had a hard time saying that I couldn't book out into February when I really needed bookings in November, but didn't really have a reason to give as far as why I couldn't book that far out.

Also, the other thing that I had a hard time with at first is making my calendar work for me. Now I don't show my calendar. I tell them that I only do parties on xx day of the week, and then ask what day of the week they prefer. When they tell me Saturday, I flip through my book and tell them "the next available Saturday I have is XX". This serves 2 purposes:

1 - you're really controlling your calendar; this way if you need shows for early to mid January, you fill in what you need.

2 - if you don't have a lot of bookings, they'll never see this By telling them that the next available date is XX it sounds like you're really busy!

Last resort is that if you really want to have a calendar out, I do put a "hot date" note on a few days where I really want my shows booked and I offer an additional $25 in hostess credit if they book on those dates. So if I really want to book the beginning of the month, I either mark off dates later in the month as unavailable or enter a name in (even when I don't have the date booked), to make myself look busy and to get the dates that I really want to have booked.

I have had a few cancellations this weekend for the first time, but to be honest, I never sensed any excitement nor could I create any excitement from either of the hostesses. I really felt like they just booked to help their friend get her double credit. So my last word of wisdom (ha ha) is that if someone really wants to have a show, they're going to find a way to make their schedule fit into yours and they'll be more than willing to work with what you have available. I just feel that when they are making up reasons not to take this or that date that they're really not that into it in the first place.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBagLady View Post
Good luck!!! I wish that I had some of this knowledge when I did my first few shows in October, but here's what I've learned:

When you're doing your presentation and talking about bookings (and then when scheduling their show) make sure to stress to the potential hostesses that they have to hold their show within 6 weeks of the show you're at. I really wish I had known to do this at my first party.....I had a hard time saying that I couldn't book out into February when I really needed bookings in November, but didn't really have a reason to give as far as why I couldn't book that far out.

Also, the other thing that I had a hard time with at first is making my calendar work for me. Now I don't show my calendar. I tell them that I only do parties on xx day of the week, and then ask what day of the week they prefer. When they tell me Saturday, I flip through my book and tell them "the next available Saturday I have is XX". This serves 2 purposes:

1 - you're really controlling your calendar; this way if you need shows for early to mid January, you fill in what you need.

2 - if you don't have a lot of bookings, they'll never see this By telling them that the next available date is XX it sounds like you're really busy!

Last resort is that if you really want to have a calendar out, I do put a "hot date" note on a few days where I really want my shows booked and I offer an additional $25 in hostess credit if they book on those dates. So if I really want to book the beginning of the month, I either mark off dates later in the month as unavailable or enter a name in (even when I don't have the date booked), to make myself look busy and to get the dates that I really want to have booked.

I have had a few cancellations this weekend for the first time, but to be honest, I never sensed any excitement nor could I create any excitement from either of the hostesses. I really felt like they just booked to help their friend get her double credit. So my last word of wisdom (ha ha) is that if someone really wants to have a show, they're going to find a way to make their schedule fit into yours and they'll be more than willing to work with what you have available. I just feel that when they are making up reasons not to take this or that date that they're really not that into it in the first place.
I can't tell you how excited it makes me to "hear" you say this and you are so new! This is something that takes many of us awhile to learn-be in control of your business!

Great job at taking your control of your own business!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:40 PM
WAHM Regular

I also am new...just started at the end of Sept. At first, I was a little desperate to get shows to book in close so I offered hostesses additional incentives if they chose dates within 4 weeks or so. I was offereing a FREE thank you gift...that definitely worked. Now I offer the thank you gift at half price, and I think that works even better! (they still get a deal but now they have more invested in their show). I am happy with the amount of bookings I have in Jan, Feb and March so I will become less "desperate" and will decrease the amount of freebies I give out.

I also play the "deal or no deal" game (within the pocketbook game I play) using chocolates and I am able to get 2 bookings at each show.

Just take in all of the advice that is offered on this board and you will do fine. There is sooo much wisdom and experience here!!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 AM
WAHM Regular

aww...thanks, Leanne. I have to say, I get a lot out of all of your posts!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Hi dd6484

All these ladies have excellent advise. Great way to work going forward.

I know you are going to work to add more to your January calendar with new bookings.. but here is an idea on how you could possibly turn those Feb bookings into January.

Give you February hostesses a call and give them the opportunity to move their show up. You just had a cancellation and would like to offer them the opportunity to move their party up to fill this cancellation. Explain to them how incredible it is to host in January for their guests ... reverse save plan plus with the unveiling of the new catalog they are sure to get their bookings very easily since everyone will want to be one of the first to host a show in the new book. And then as an added bonus, if they can move their party up a few weeks you are offering an additional... whatever you want to offer.. when they take that date.

You would be surprised at the response... give them a time frame since you are calling all your February hostesses and offering up this spot... you wanted to give them the first opportunity since you know they are an incredible hostess and could pull it together a few weeks early.

Just a thought on how you may be able to move some of those later parties up.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Super WAHM

Don't get discouraged, the holiday season is slow for all of us. Sounds like you're off to a good start to me. Just stick with, it only picks up once the holidays are over.