Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Mad Scientist

Default Anyone ever dealt with "Mommy's Thumb"?

Oh my God, it is killing me!! I got it 2 months after my daughter was born in my left hand and four months later, it's my right hand. Of course it had to return to the hand I don't have a brace for! I think this new "Hold me under my arms so I can bounce on your lap" thing is what did it this time.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Awesome WAHM

Yes! I have had it in my right hand since April. It seems to get better and then I will go and pick up my little guy wrong and it starts all over again. I injured this hand as a kid so I thought that may be contributing to the new injury.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Grand WAHM

okay dont laugh but was is it exactly? I actually have never heard of this
Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Well, I am ashamed to say....I am a nurse and haven't heard of this. Maybe some kind of pregnancy induced carpal tunnel issue?

Shana
Old 10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jacobs View Post
okay dont laugh but was is it exactly? I actually have never heard of this
I am not sure if it is the technical name for this issue but I believe it has to do with the tendons in the thumb. They can get injured from repeated stress as in picking up a child repeatedly. I have not gone to the doctor for it because I know how and when it happened, there is really nothing he can do for it and I am not into taking meds. I just deal with it and try to baby it so it can heal.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Glad mine are too big to pick up repeatedly!

Bonnie
Old 10-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Grand WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5525carin View Post
I am not sure if it is the technical name for this issue but I believe it has to do with the tendons in the thumb. They can get injured from repeated stress as in picking up a child repeatedly. I have not gone to the doctor for it because I know how and when it happened, there is really nothing he can do for it and I am not into taking meds. I just deal with it and try to baby it so it can heal.
Thanks Lady! I had no idea (LOL) I am always learning ~Amy
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Mad Scientist

Sorry I didn't get back on sooner - we had a festival and were in & out all weekend long!

Here's a little more info:

"Mommy thumb, formally known as De Quervain's tendinitis, is an inflammation of the tendons below the thumb down to the wrist. Although the condition has been around as long as parents have hoisted their children, doctors say a combination of heavier children, older new mothers, cribs that are lower to the floor and frequent scrolling and typing on smartphones has sent the number of cases skyward.

People with De Quervain's typically experience pain on the thumb side of the wrist that radiates up the forearm. Sometimes the symptoms start during pregnancy. Doctors aren't sure why, but they believe that swelling adds pressure to already stressed tendons, exacerbating the irritation. For many women (and some men), it gets worse when they are constantly lifting a child, bending down into the crib, putting their hands in an "L" shape under the child's armpits and lifting so that much of the weight is on the thumbs."
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by safyre View Post
Sorry I didn't get back on sooner - we had a festival and were in & out all weekend long!

Here's a little more info:

"Mommy thumb, formally known as De Quervain's tendinitis, is an inflammation of the tendons below the thumb down to the wrist. Although the condition has been around as long as parents have hoisted their children, doctors say a combination of heavier children, older new mothers, cribs that are lower to the floor and frequent scrolling and typing on smartphones has sent the number of cases skyward.

People with De Quervain's typically experience pain on the thumb side of the wrist that radiates up the forearm. Sometimes the symptoms start during pregnancy. Doctors aren't sure why, but they believe that swelling adds pressure to already stressed tendons, exacerbating the irritation. For many women (and some men), it gets worse when they are constantly lifting a child, bending down into the crib, putting their hands in an "L" shape under the child's armpits and lifting so that much of the weight is on the thumbs."
Thank you for the explanation. I had not heard of this before.

Shana