Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Super WAHM

I don't eat meat more often.. Most of the time I eat veges and I like it most than meat..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 06:11 AM
WAHM Regular

Vegetarian here

I get my protein/iron etc from lentils, chickpeas, soy, eggs etc.
I believe in eating lots of anti-inflammatory foods - such as spices (esp. tumeric), garlic, vegies and such.

I limit dairy and try to limit white bread. I eat porridge for brekkie and have lots of fruit during the day.

I'm really healthy and my two eldest were raised totally vegetarian. They are teenage now and are extremely healthy and can surf etc for hours without tiring. (The eldest is working/studying to become a builder and the second studying to become an engineer.)

I was a really sick kind of kid - constant flu, tonsillitis, ear ache - have to say the only thing that fixed that was getting off dairy.
I became a vegetarian at age 17. It took many years after that to work out what to eat - I didn't know anyone who was vegetarian back then!

Impossible to say if I would have been as healthy if I ate red meat/chicken/fish instead of being vegetarian - but I do know that being vegetarian is not bad for you and is not bad for kids - kids will get all they need to grow healthy and strong on a vegie diet.

Last edited by OceanAnni; 06-12-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 AM
WAHM Addict

To eat or not to eat meat is a personal deal for any person and those who like it mustn't be argued for that. I'm not a vegetarian, but raw eater and to tell the truth it's more than vegetarian way of living.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default Need more choices

I used to eat meat probably twice a week. Since I got pregnant, I haven't had any in months. The sight/smell of it makes me nauseous. I can handle some chicken and fish but I'm mostly eating fruits and veggies.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Awesome WAHM

I'm not a total vegetarian since I eat meats. I love eating pork and chicken meats but I also love veggies. Salad is my fave.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile

I am a strict vegan, if it has any type of animal derivative in it I will not eat it. I do not believe it is right to contribute to the suffering of an animal simply for ones appetite.

I have been a vegan for 20 years, was a very strict vegetarian prior to that. Then I found out what happens to the animals and went cold turkey (no pun intended). It was disgusting.

I watched a film called Earthlings, search for it via google it is narrated by Joaquin Phoenix. It will change your life.

I do not miss any part of meat, when I look at it I see death, it makes me sick. I have regular recipe books that I use, I just use cruelty free vegan products as subs. There are many products on the market today that taste exactly like meat, I made a "vegetable roast" for xmas one year. Several friends who are not vegans or vegetarians came over and was shocked! They said OMG this is real meat. LOL Nope it isn't. They now beg me for recipes and have stopped eating red meat and pork completely. I make mock cheesecake, fried fish, beef stroganoff, puddings and homemade bacon that is AWESOME! They are all fake, but you will never know it.

But, for me I do it for the animals, one vegan will save over 150 animals per year by themselves. Plus, the health benefits are unsurpassed.

Did you know if your a type II diabetic and become a strict vegan you will no longer be diabetic? It is true.

Not type I, but type II.

My husband had 3 TIAs and a mild stroke, his cholesterol was so high, the doctor told him he was going to die. He became a vegan and in 6 months time, he lost 40 pounds, and his cholesterol dropped 300 points! The doctor was so amazed, he is now a vegan..I am totally serious. My mother became a vegan 12 years ago, my oldest sister has been a vegan for over 40 years and my daughter too.

Most people, want to do it, but don't know how. It is not difficult and it doesn't cost more, in fact it actually cost less.

Check out VegWeb.com - Vegan Recipes and Cooking Tips for tons of cool recipes, with ratings and tips from those who tried them. Oh and here is the bacon recipe
Smokey Maple Hickory Fake Bacon
Smokey Maple Hickory Fake Bacon
Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonlady916 View Post
I know I will get blasted for this but I get TIRED of chicken!

Red meat, Red meat, Red meat
MMMmmmMMMMM
Give me a steak ANY time!

Bonnie
Same here Bonnie. Just had Down Home Chicken and Onions tonight. It was good but sometimes I think I might turn into a chicken based on how much my family eats. Gotta have my steak or hamburger every now and then.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I would love to be a vegetarian but it can be very expensive for a family of seven. Most meatless products are pricey and since I have to buy two or even three of that product, its almost impossible! I hate it!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmond View Post
I would love to be a vegetarian but it can be very expensive for a family of seven. Most meatless products are pricey and since I have to buy two or even three of that product, its almost impossible! I hate it!
You know you can make your own. I do, it is easy and taste amazing! Plus, you get so much of it for such a low price. You can even freeze it for later use.
I make Seitan all the time, you season it just as you would meat. You even cook it like meat.
You will save a ton of money, believe me. Meat products in comparison are more expensive. Yes, there are some meatless products on the market that are expensive, but I don't even buy those.

Here is a link to the different types or meat substitutes, with lots of recipes. ( just read the reviews for each recipe to pick on out.)
Vegan Tofu, Tempeh, Seitan and Textured Soy Protein Recipes

A quick tip for meatless..let's say Spaghetti.. purchase TVP or textured vegetable protein (it comes in bags, usually in the natural food section of your grocery store) Measure out about two full cups let soak in water for about 10 minutes to hydrate. Then drain, next add oil in a frying pan ( toss in onions too), pour in TVP, then worchestershire sauce to taste ( to give it a meaty flavor) lightly brown then add your spaghetti sauce and bam you have Mock hamburger spaghetti. And boy is it good!

The TVP doubles in size and cost around $2 to $3 a bag . The only thing noticeably different is that there is no grease (fat) in your sauce. It is much cheaper than buying the fake meat crumbles like Morningstar or Boca.

It is all real easy it just takes a bit of research
Old 06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
WAHM Regular

We try to follow the raw food diet. If you look on youtube, you'll see many people rave about it. I do too. It really works. Many of the people look 10 years younger who follow it (at least). I know I need it - that's for SURE!