Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 AM
WAHM Master

Default What do all you single Moms do for insurance?

I am in the process of getting divorced. I will not have insurance after this is over, which will hopefully be soon.
I need it for myself. My girls will be covered under his policy.

I have a pt job outside the house and work a few very pt jobs from home.

Thanks in advance!

Mary
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 AM
WAHM Veteran

Pray a lot!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Registered WAHM

Check out: www.benefitplansrus.com
Old 10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

I buy health insurance directly from Anthom Blue Cross Blue Shield. I am not single, but Hubby couldn't get on the policy I want due to his pre-existing conditions and my kids are covered under my policy.

If you are fairly healthy and have no pre-exisiting conditions, you can get a very good policy from BCBS with reasonable price. I have found out that my current private health insurance is better than the one under by my former employer when I was working full time outside the home.

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 AM
Super WAHM

I was wondering the same thing. I thought I had until my divorce was final to find insurance but my husband's company's policy is changing at the end of October so I need insurance then instead of end of November. I literally have hardly any money. I am substitute teaching to support myself and my son with no child support (long story) so I'll have to check into BCBS and see what they can do for me.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Super WAHM

You can get an individual plan from just about any health carrier and can check costs directly from their websites. It is always cheaper than paying for your own through COBRA (which you should be offered once you are divorced--from your current carrier. You just have to pay the full premium plus 2%). I got my individual plan through the following site:

Affordable Individual and Family Health Insurance Quotes

For a single mom, the cheapest plan is probably the goal--and if you are fairly healthy you can get a high deductible plan for pretty cheap. I have a catastrophic plan with a $2500 deductible since I hardly ever go to the doctor. The premium is cheap, and high deductible plans still covers an annual check up (before the deductible) and you get the benefit of in-network prices. I had to go to the doctor once this year (to an urgent care type place) and even though I have the high deductible, instead of my bill being $250 (what it would've been without insurance) it was $75 (the contracted price for my insurance carrier--Humana). Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Registered WAHM

Question What about health insurance? GOOD Question!

Most of the time since my divorce I've had no coverage at all. So I just pray a lot. I finally got a F/T job for 6 months with benefits, then was laid off.

Caution: BEWARE of discount companies. I paid premiums for a few years for a discount plan and was SO ripped off. They actually cover very little, and good luck if something big happens. I had to have surgery and they refused to pay a penny! It was outpatient and their fine-print says they will not cover outpatient surgery...which these days probably accounts for some 80% or more of surgeries done, for Pete's sake. So I'll be paying all of those bills for life, I suppose.

I've wondered...how does one find a work-from-home job (not business) that includes benefits??? I know of a gal who works from home for IBM and gets full benefits, pretty highly skilled gal who used to work in house for them, then changed. I'd like to learn more about THAT.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Insurance vs. Discount Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolan Ross View Post
Caution: BEWARE of discount companies. I paid premiums for a few years for a discount plan and was SO ripped off.
FYI, not all discount plans are created equal. What was the name of the discount plan? Have you considered Ameriplan? Ameriplan is $39.95 a month for the ENTIRE household and that is for dental, medical and prescription (and some extra like 24hour health line).

One of the reasons people like Ameriplan is that it even covers optional procedures. And at such a cheap price you can have insurance and Ameriplan. Like I can go to the dentist and get my teeth whitened for pretty cheap (I am a soda drinker and I know that is bad, but I still like white teeth). My husband has dental insurance and it does not cover things like that. I have also had eye surgery and my husband's insurance didn't cover that either (and I did NOT have Ameriplan at that time. I could have saved a TON if I had).

As a matter of fact, my husband has been considering dropping his insurance. He sees how much of a discount Ameriplan is and how much we aren't using his coverage.

Discount plans are just that-a discount. Instead of paying 100% of the bill you have 20% (or whatever the discount that has been arranged is).

The discount plan you had couldn't have been Ameriplan because you would have known in advance that the doctor you were going to was not in the plan and you would have just gone to a different doctor that was.

I was just wondering which plan it was.

P.S. If anyone is interested in Ameriplan, let me know. No hard sell. Just PM me and I would be happy to forward information.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 PM
WAHM Regular

Tough situation..I feel for you. You should look into state health care programs and if your state does not have one then either find a PT job that offers benefits, including health care insurance, or shop around and pray for a low priced quote.